A&H

First game incharge

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
I seem to be getting fouls on edge of the box that the ball ends up with the fouled players team mate who then shoots a split second after the foul, the ball goes wide etc & they then want the free kick this is the grey area I’m getting myself into, is that advantage or not.

As for anywhere else on the pitch I’ve got that under control and it works but as for edge of the area it’s becoming an issue, I’m thinking of just blowing for any foul around the box regardless of who the ball falls to.

Quick question if a player makes a lunge at a ball but mrs the man & ball is that a free kick, i had it today player two foot lunge misses everything in sight and the opposing team want a free kick. I say no because he hasn’t made contact
Playing in a dangerous manner - a lunge that misses ball and man, that requires evasive action, with no contact is an indirect free kick.

The slightest hint of contact and, if it's s foul, you should be thinking about the 1-2-3 of careless-reckless-excessive force.

The advantage thing takes time to learn. You have a couple of seconds to decide. The skill level of the players shouldn't matter but it does. Is Johnny about to rocket the loose ball in from 30 yards, or dribble into the box around the whole defence? Unless an attcking player is in space with good possession you are safe to blow. And everyone loves a ceremonial free kick 25 yards out.

Just don't rush. And tell the players, in brief. "No advantage there." "I've blown for the original foul." But this is already advanced stuff for your second game!

The Referee Store
Never had an opportunity to let CAR's give off sides so I think I prefer to make my own decisions.

You can pull an advantage back and give the foul if no advantage accrues. That does not mean you give two bites at the cherry.

You could try not giving advantage at all till you're more comfortable with everything else going on in your early matches?

Be very wary about accepting fouls and misconduct off club ARs too. In fact. Dont do it.
I have never used CARs for offsides (it varies by county) but if you are thats it. Ball out of play, the direction if they know and offsides if you're allowing them to assist with those.

Thanks for the response & apologies if these topics have been discussed before on other threads.

Very interesting that many refs don’t like to use AR’s, I’m not confident enough or anywhere near good enough to start calling the offsides, if it’s blatant cheating then yes I’ll over rule it but I’m happy to share some of the responsibility with ar’s, in any case I can honestly say at the moment I’m not in a good enough position to call it and can’t be sure either way anyway, although after our little incident on Sunday when the gaffer dropped the flag and walked off I said ok then fellas I’m calling the line for you now so no arguing if you disagree with it, a sub did it anyway and was great Shame he didn’t do it in the first place.

The lunge thing is interesting if it doesn’t make contact with ball or man I just let it go but from now on I’ll be blowing for it.

Tell you one thing though bloody cold out there at the moment god I can’t wait for it to warm up.

Thanks for the response & apologies if these topics have been discussed before on other threads.

Very interesting that many refs don’t like to use AR’s, I’m not confident enough or anywhere near good enough to start calling the offsides, if it’s blatant cheating then yes I’ll over rule it but I’m happy to share some of the responsibility with ar’s, in any case I can honestly say at the moment I’m not in a good enough position to call it and can’t be sure either way anyway, although after our little incident on Sunday when the gaffer dropped the flag and walked off I said ok then fellas I’m calling the line for you now so no arguing if you disagree with it, a sub did it anyway and was great Shame he didn’t do it in the first place.

The lunge thing is interesting if it doesn’t make contact with ball or man I just let it go but from now on I’ll be blowing for it.

Tell you one thing though bloody cold out there at the moment god I can’t wait for it to warm up.
What makes you think any of us are ever in a position to do anything more than make a guess?

Well if your guessing then why wouldn’t you just play the game with Lino’s?

Well it's an educated guess but the East Riding FA only allow CARs to give in and out of play. It was never an option for me. I was was one of the fitter refs and was usually up with play but I was rarely in the optimum position like I would be as an assistant.

No car for me either, never have, never would.
If you think am doing the course, training, practise, then allowing a random with a flag to have any influence on my game then you can call me Edna

My educated guess I will trust till the end of time over any random at the side of the park.

Well, you're trained, they're not. Chances are, they're not going to be of full knowledge of the offside law for one. And at some point you'll have to deal with one linesman doing a professional job, while the other is corrupt as hell. What do you do then? Go with one over the other? Replace him with an unknown element again?

Better off just staying away from that controversy and having all the decisions be yours. Tell the players beforehand it is all on you and you will only give them if you're reasonably sure. You'll probably find that teams will suddenly play a super-high line for a good 20 or so minutes to get everyone offside all the time, unless you don't give them much then they'll drop deeper and play it safe.

That said, check the league rules first and foremost. If they say you can use them for offside then go for it. I know all the areas I've officiated in have a policy of using club assistants for in and out calls only.

I used to be the one who when numbers were short, was allocated the remaining game in the semi pro league which should have ARs but due to numbers, did not.
Usually happened with the same team, and the captain I knew away from football would always hit me with the same line...

" no linos today? What if we lose an offside goal?"

My reply was always. "Alan , what if you score an offside goal, will that bother you?"

Bit of managment you can handle most things.....

I think i had qualified NARs about twice in a career, They actually weren't bad, a young lad and an older chap.
CARs were supposed to be offered on saturdays and sundays but they were more trouble that they helped. Eventually I left my flags in the car.
If they'd got an issue there was only one bloke to moan at and he's the only independent bloke there usually. It became the norm and it was my call on everything, got most right, got a few wrong.... There loss in not attracting funds to pay for NARs not mine!

Totally get what your all saying but in my league which I’ve been a player in for a good few years we use car’s for offsides it generally is ok but I must admit it has its moments and is a major flash point in a game nearly every week, I’ve seen refs over rule Lino’s in our league upto four times in one game before.

I’m in no way shape or form ready to call the offsides from the positions I find myself in at the moment, I’ve got a lot of work to do on that front before I even consider it.

I think i had qualified NARs about twice in a career, They actually weren't bad, a young lad and an older chap.
CARs were supposed to be offered on saturdays and sundays but they were more trouble that they helped. Eventually I left my flags in the car.
If they'd got an issue there was only one bloke to moan at and he's the only independent bloke there usually. It became the norm and it was my call on everything, got most right, got a few wrong.... There loss in not attracting funds to pay for NARs not mine!

On the few occasions anyone at side of park happened to mention a flag for them, its amazing how I also had forgotten to pack them, so I would just cope without....

You get a sixth sense when its you alone, I got totally used to it..... Also you have the benefit of when your right your right and when your wrong your right!!! Happy days!!! :devil:

Can I just mention I gave a pen on Sunday and I didn’t really get any complaints from the defending side but I’m curious to get anyone’s input if u don’t mind.

Ball gets played across the six yard box striker balloons the ball over the bar from close range as he puts it over literally as the ball is in mid air over the bar a defender comes sliding in from behind and sends the striker 6ft up in the air not dangerous not dirty a fair attempt at a tackle but takes the man out, pen all day long apart from the ball was already sailing over the bar..

So is it a pen or not does the ball still have to be in play to give it or even though the shot was blazed over the bar is it a pen.

The slide tackle was basically a split second after he had hit the shot over.

Never had an opportunity to let CAR's give off sides so I think I prefer to make my own decisions.

You can pull an advantage back and give the foul if no advantage accrues. That does not mean you give two bites at the cherry.

You could try not giving advantage at all till you're more comfortable with everything else going on in your early matches?

I've just done my ref training in Norfolk and we're encouraged to use the club assistants and work with them. in/out and offside.

I do about 50/50 on my own and with NARs, most of whom are well trained, young, fit and keen.
For the games I do on my own, I would never swap being on my own for CARs - seems like a nightmare.

Just the basic premise of having someone not impartial, who doesn't know the LotG, being given any responsibility to officiate is just daft, and totally at odds with the LotG. IMHO of course;)

What even happens when flag goes up for ball out, and you know its not, so you play on....its just carnage that can be avoided

Back