A&H

First game incharge

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

Hi Folkes ref’d my first game Sunday just thought I’d share the experience, I’ve played footy for the last 20yrs I’m 34 now, was with a Ryman league club playing youth footy up until 16, left school and went off track drink party girls etc came before footy & that was that gave up footy until bout 20 and played Sunday league ever since, anyway legs are going now & sick of poor refs getting paid each week to do a bad job (or so I thought) so decided to give it a go myself stay fit and get paid whilst doing it, being a footballer all my life I thought it would be a piece of cake..

Anyway half way through my refereeing course and I’m in the process of doing my 5 games, first one being Sunday just gone so I’ll tell you how it went & any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I start it was an experience to say the least.

Arrived at ground around 30mins before kick of it was actually at a proper club only one pitch not like a big field or park so that was nice, met home & away team managers got payment & team sheets, wrote subs names down in my book, checked pitch goals etc totally bricking it as I’ve never done any of this before and I’m acting like I’m a pro, then it got interesting I called both lino’s and captains over briefed them about the line & what I expected etc sent both lino’s Away then realised I had no flags so I had to run over to side of pitch & grab the flags. Got both captains in centre circle to realise I’ve got no bloody coin so once again ran to side lines to grab coin. Blew to start the game & then it hit me that I’m actually refin this game Jesus!!! It was fast paced and i didn’t have a single second to relax, to cut a long story short for 88mins I did ok (and I mean ok nothing more) The two things that caused me the biggest problem was (a) positioning on the pitch I was ending up all over the place and it didn’t come naturally I just really find it difficult to switch off without thinking every 5 seconds where I should be on the pitch, it really was an issue. (B) knowing what way a team was shooting when giving a free kick for a foul, I’ve seen the foul I know the player that has done it but depending on where the foul was it sometimes made me second guess what way to signal with my arm, to be fair it was a quick and messy type of game no real possession or passing a bit all over the place it made it very hard sometimes to instantly know what way a player was attacking & what way to point for the free kick, they were the two biggest issues I faced, I got through them and didn’t really make a mistake, both sides were very moany very oh ref this oh ref that arguing with every decision or calling for a free kick every 5 seconds which was annoying and made me question my decisions but I grew into it & grew in confidence, I found it hard not to have ongoing discussions with players as the game was going on, if I kept my mouth shut I’d feel like I was to quite if I gave it back to them I felt like I was arguing rather than concentrating on the game, anyway I got through 88 mins unscathed and it actually went pretty quickly, my positioning was terrible but general decision making was good.

So on to the 88th minute, now before I carry on can I just say I had an assessor from the league committee come watch me he is an ex ref in his 80’s and although it was a kind and nice thing to do coming to watch me in a way I would have preferred to be on my own, he chatted to me before & at HT / FT he said how in his last 500 games he only cautioned 2 players etc. So anyway 88th min it’s 5-2 to the home team and the game is pretty much done & dusted I don’t think they could tell it was my first game I was going to walk away with credibility, two mins to go a player is through on the edge of the box against a defender towards the corner of pitch and the defender takes him out clear body check clear block, yellow card all day long no question about it, now I’ve given the free kick the players are up in arms calling for a yellow & as I’m walking over to him all I’m thinking about is what the old boy told me about two yellows in 500 games, so low and behold I don’t book the fella, questionable big time & in hindsight he should have gone in the book, I get away with not booking him & it’s forgotten about.

We’re now back up the other end of the pitch, im not in the best position im only just over the half way line at an angle and then I have a moment of madness I see contact between defender & striker im a fair distance away what do I do I give a bloody penalty, the moment I gave it the whole pitch could not believe it they thought what the hell was that for, I’ve played for the last 20yrs I could tell I’d dropped a clanger, even the team I gave it to couldn’t believe it, I wanted the ground to swallow me up I was beside myself, I was even close to reversing my decision but thought god u can’t do that it’ll make you look even worse.

So anyway give the pen they step up & keeper saves it thank god, it eased the pain slightly, it was 5-2 anyway so wouldn’t have made much difference but I just couldn’t believe i’d Gone 88mins without incident and then did that god knows what I saw but it wasn’t the same as the rest of the pitch.

So anyway blew for FT few mins later and that was the end of my ordeal lol, so it was a mixed feeling at the end of game wow I’ve done my first game, being proud that I’d breezed most of it and learnt everything as I went along the pitch managers admin book blowing whistle etc, I really did chuck myself in the deep end with the game as it was a fast paced division above what I play with sum decent players, I just cant believe I didn’t give the yellow & then gave a pen.

Anyway I’ve got my first one out the way, I know what to expect on arriving at ground I know what it’s like to be in the middle & I can only get better with experience, my biggest concern though is positioning and so much happening so quickly, but although I was terrified and full of dread I’ve actually got the bug for it & cant wait to get back out there.

Both teams played in good spirits I had a chat to the home team after the game got some feedback in the bar, i won’t be mixing with players / teams after games but first couple of matches i wanted to hear there side of it.

So there you are a lot for me to work on & by god it’s not as easy as I thought, the poor refs I’ve tourmented over the years I feel terrible.

So my biggest worry’s are

Positioning on the pitch..

So much so quickly in play it’s difficult to interpret what’s actually just happened in front of you was it a foul shall I play on etc..

And arm signals for free kicks, throws goal kicks corners pretty easy but free kicks I’m having to stop for a second to remember what way the offender is shooting..

I guess the other thing is not feeling like a punch bag or victim on the pitch, your questioned and moaned at every 10 seconds and it’s an interesting and not a nice feeling but I guess you grow to deal with it.

Mixed emotions at present but I think it won’t be half as bad this Sunday now I’ve had a dummy run at it.

Cheers
Guys.

The Referee Store
Well first off, welcome to the mad house! Well done on getting the first notch on your belt, may many many more come along in a long and exciting career in refereeing.

A couple of tips that I'd share my humble opinion on (picked from experience and what others have shared here). The first match is always bound to be overwhelming so don't worry about. First I'd recommend that from now on, you have a plan for the day and I'd recommend being at the pitch at least 45 mins prior to kick off. Make sure that you tick off the simple stuff, the things that are so trivial but could set you off on the wrong foot from the get go. The whistle, the coin, the cards etc, that way you are not rushing, you are not flustered and you are not stressed.

Next is focusing on a select few areas of development each fixture, I'd recommend going with just one for the time being. The great thing is that you have yourself identified a few areas already so now in the next game select one to focus on and improve. I'd say pick an easy one to achieve to give you that initial push and feeling of achievement and fulfilment which will help drive you forward.

Right so on the selected incidents and areas of concern you've highlighted:

Positioning; it is only natural that you felt perplexed and out of position and only more natural considering your transition from playing to refereeing. What we've been taught is at these early levels and without the use of neutral assistants (NARs) we adopt a figure of 8 while we are covering the pitch. As a general point on this: the most optimal position you can have on a pitch is the one that enables you to make the right decisions. 2 factors in play here: proximity and angles; from experience I've treated this a scale to try and get the best position achieving the right mix of proximity (it is hard to sell a penalty decision from a tight angle when you are 40-50 yrds away) and angle to identify the right decision and next course of action. This season as I'm attempting to gain promotion to L4, I've changed my style slightly that I know tend to leave play build up slightly ahead of me (letting the players decide where they want the ball next) and then close in to be near the action for a credible decision.

With growing experience, even in fast paced games, you will learn to recognise challenges and the appropriate disciplinary decisions from an array of factors, the speed, the intensity of the challenge, the reaction of the players etc to name a few (in fouls for instance). One thing, I'd stick with your gut feeling and don't change your refereeing style or decisions to suit the expectations of other people. By all means, afterwards go back and reflect on them but don't question yourself during the game. You made a decision, move onto the next one.

@Men in Black - Well done on the first game, nearly always the hardest to go.

I hope you enjoyed and will be back again.

Self-analysis is the best way of developing as a referee. For new referees, there are two things that they always worry about : Positioning and disciplinary action. You are like the other 100% of new referees, so don't worry.

On the caution, ignore what other referees would do. It is your match, therefore, you are in control. In my 15 years of refereeing, sent only one player ever off for two cautions in my last every match. That was the mid 90's, a different era.

Positioning - this will improve with every game you do. Movement is the most important and you will start to realise where you need to be. Even the EPL referees are sometimes out of position and make mistakes - forget it.

To avoid the issue with which direction for free-kicks. a quick trick is to blow the whistle and shout "blue free-kick". You then have a couple of seconds to decide whether it is your right or left arm. This is a short-term fix, but works OK.

Don't worry about going for a drink afterwards. If the Home club offers ait, take it. The match is ended, they will moan but nothing more. Only if you have had a sh1t match then decline and go home. Most clubs won't play you until after the match has ended and wish to play you in the clubhouse afterwards.

Keep us informed of your progress, your post will aid other new referees realise that we all have the same problems.

2 cautions in 500 games?! sounds like a huge dereliction of duty!

i jumped in at the deep in straight into adult football too. it took me a good while to get my first card out mind, certainly missed (chose not to give) a few obvious ones before. not sure why but i just didnt want to book anyone!

communicating with players is key and can greatly enhance your rapport with the players, getting the balance right so you dont come off like you're ignoring them or getting distracted by them is hard but it'll come with experience.

a player tries to question one of my decisions and i'll usually say something like 'dont agree, got the ball from my angle fella' diffuses the situation quickly and really leaves the player with no real reply. if they do keep chirping at you i'll tell them to leave it as we're back on with the game. if they continue then it's getting towards dissent!

Before one month i have done also my first referee game. I was playing football the last 13 years. I was so nervous when i enter at the pitch as a referee like it was my first time i enter in to a football pitch.

Mistakes on possitioning? All game i was out of proper possition.

Dont worry. Next game you should be better.

welcome to refereeing, once you lose the big head, sick of poor refs getting paid each week to do a bad job. or so i thought well done for having the bottle to qualify, get out there and learn it is not as easy as it looks. the guys have already given you good advice and it will get easier honest, dont worry about your assessors advice the game has changed a lot, lol, the young referees i have looked after over a lot of years, are told we dont give you nice shiny red/yellow card just for you to keep them nice and dry your pockets, plenty of people on here happy to give good advice and remember the only daft question is the one you dont ask good luck

I had the same issue signaling the right way when I started. Looking back it’s probably because we are watching so closely (feet/ball/hands) you actually lose sense of play. With more experience you will “zoom out” naturally and just point the right way.

One trick I still use, especially if an attacker is running the wrong way and being chased (ie running towards his own net with a chance of being fouled) is tap my finger and thumb on the hand facing the net he should be attacking so I point the right way if he is fouled.

Movement and the direction of play are connected. I was taught to use the diagonal, even when alone with no ARs. The diagonal gives you shape and gives your relationship to the game and players shape. Though I also struggled with direction of play every now and again - especially with no landmarks, indoor games. Talking to myself helps.

The big decision: you've already learnt it: don't rush. You are in control. You take whatever time you need to decide. With more games you learn to sense the reactions of players and then choose to use them as an aid - but usually for throws and GK/corners. Avoid trying to use player reactions for offsides or fouls of any kind.

Anticipation connects all these things. You have been a high level player. You know the game. You have enough footy sense to anticipate long balls, know where the ball is going to land, predict the through ball, know when to expect a shot... this will all really help you down the road. With more games you'll relax more - or at least you will concentrate on the important things.

More games! And congratulations. Blindin' start!

Thanks for the response guys, I guess like most things it takes time & experience to iron out any issues or faults, it really was a baptism of fire, it’s so easy to ref from the sidelines and criticise but once your out there yourself it’s a different ball game, I’ve got so much respect for refs after giving it a go myself, now I know what I’m doing pre match as far as admin team sheets etc plus I’m going to change pockets & tailor by note pad to make it quicker during the match I think that’ll be one less thing to worry about & hopefully I can fully focus on the game itself.

Still worried about my two biggest issues though positioning & how quick incidents happen when trying to call a foul & what direction the free kick should be going.

But once again appreciate the response I’ll let u know how this wknd goes, fingers crossed I can improve on last week.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response guys, I guess like most things it takes time & experience to iron out any issues or faults, it really was a baptism of fire, it’s so easy to ref from the sidelines and criticise but once your out there yourself it’s a different ball game, I’ve got so much respect for refs after giving it a go myself, now I know what I’m doing pre match as far as admin team sheets etc plus I’m going to change pockets & tailor by note pad to make it quicker during the match I think that’ll be one less thing to worry about & hopefully I can fully focus on the game itself.

Still worried about my two biggest issues though positioning & how quick incidents happen when trying to call a foul & what direction the free kick should be going.

But once again appreciate the response I’ll let u know how this wknd goes, fingers crossed I can improve on last week.

Cheers.

Did the observer speak to you pre-match to ensure that you had the admin matters dealt with? I feel that this is sometimes the biggest benefit of watching a brand new referee, dealing with the stuff off the FOP.

Cheers.
stick with it and remember we are here to help. what are you going to change about your note pad

Did the observer speak to you pre-match to ensure that you had the admin matters dealt with? I feel that this is sometimes the biggest benefit of watching a brand new referee, dealing with the stuff off the FOP.

He was more of a pain than a benefit, don’t get me wrong it was nice of him to come down & I appreciate the intention but it was the last thing I needed on top of everything else I had to deal with, he’s in his 80’s and was way out of touch on today’s game, I spoke to him pre match and HT / FT, but it was a pain having to keep running over to him as he was parked sat in his car, as he was from the league I had to speak with him but I’m hoping that’s the last I see of him on an assessor front as an old chap he was lovely but when I’m trying to ref a game based on what I’ve learnt on the latest course & latest rule book to then have him contradict everything it was something I could do without.
Looking back on the morning I think I did pretty well considering I had to basically learn everything that morning and use my noddle to work out what I had to do pre match, now I know what it involves & what I need to do it will make my life a lot easier this Sunday. I can hopefully concentrate on the game itself rather than worry about all the off field stuff.

The old boy did say about sending his mate down to watch me who is older than him god knows he must be pushing 90, said it will be good to have someone on the sidelines for support, I was thinking inside god please NO.. I just want to be on my own and learn myself, I’ve got mates that want to come watch me I’ve just said no not yet, they think im being a tw*t not telling them where my games are at, I wish I just kept my mouth shut about the whole thing until I was 100% comfortable on the pitch.

I just wanna focus on my positioning and over all game / decision making, I just wish people would let me get on with it.

stick with it and remember we are here to help. what are you going to change about your note pad

Basically by the time the game finished my notebook looked like a two year old had scribbled on it for 90mins.

As I had never ref’d before I didn’t know how much info I had to document during the game, I didn’t know what I would have to supply to the league after the game such as time of goals & time of subs etc, also the biggest pain was keep getting it out of a Velcro top pocket then get the pencil out and cram everything onto one little page, as the game had 7 goals & 6 subs I was forever getting the book out of my top pocket.

Anyway now I know that I only need to supply the score to the league and that subs is not needed plus yellows etc goes to the FA, I’ve got an easier small flip pad that I will have more space on & will have it set out how i want it rather than the old note book, plus I’m gonna keep it in my shorts pocket so it’s easier to use, red is going in back pocket & yellow top right.

All little things you tailor as you go along I guess. But last week I spent half the game in & out of my top pocket writing match info down, I’m not doing that again.

He was more of a pain than a benefit, don’t get me wrong it was nice of him to come down & I appreciate the intention but it was the last thing I needed on top of everything else I had to deal with, he’s in his 80’s and was way out of touch on today’s game, I spoke to him pre match and HT / FT, but it was a pain having to keep running over to him as he was parked sat in his car, as he was from the league I had to speak with him but I’m hoping that’s the last I see of him on an assessor front as an old chap he was lovely but when I’m trying to ref a game based on what I’ve learnt on the latest course & latest rule book to then have him contradict everything it was something I could do without.
Looking back on the morning I think I did pretty well considering I had to basically learn everything that morning and use my noddle to work out what I had to do pre match, now I know what it involves & what I need to do it will make my life a lot easier this Sunday. I can hopefully concentrate on the game itself rather than worry about all the off field stuff.

The old boy did say about sending his mate down to watch me who is older than him god knows he must be pushing 90, said it will be good to have someone on the sidelines for support, I was thinking inside god please NO.. I just want to be on my own and learn myself, I’ve got mates that want to come watch me I’ve just said no not yet, they think im being a tw*t not telling them where my games are at, I wish I just kept my mouth shut about the whole thing until I was 100% comfortable on the pitch.

I just wanna focus on my positioning and over all game / decision making, I just wish people would let me get on with it.
Part of the course, or at least 5/6 years ago when i started, was to have a "mentor" come and watch a couple of games. It sounds like thats what this chap is as opposed to an assessor.
I know you have reservations about this guy but I am sure he was well meaning. It really helps to have a network of people to call upon for support and guidance. Just silly things like reporting your first red card, having someone look over it and tell you it reads ok or help write it in the correct way. Honestly mate there are people that would kill to of had someone come along and support them in their first game, sadly there just arent enough folk to go round.
I know you want to figure it out for yourself but you it doesnt hurt to have a wise person to give you some pointers.

Part of the course, or at least 5/6 years ago when i started, was to have a "mentor" come and watch a couple of games. It sounds like thats what this chap is as opposed to an assessor.
I know you have reservations about this guy but I am sure he was well meaning. It really helps to have a network of people to call upon for support and guidance. Just silly things like reporting your first red card, having someone look over it and tell you it reads ok or help write it in the correct way. Honestly mate there are people that would kill to of had someone come along and support them in their first game, sadly there just arent enough folk to go round.
I know you want to figure it out for yourself but you it doesnt hurt to have a wise person to give you some pointers.

Fully agree James but at 80yrs old and drumming into me how he only cautioned two players in his final 500 games, low and behold I go out there and don’t book a player for a clear and obvious yellow that became a taking point amongst players on the pitch and after the game.

He was a dear old boy and as I stated it was kind of him to pop down but as he was so far removed from today’s game, I was explaining some rule changes to him after the game like the kick off for example, I was trying to ref the game implementing what I’d learnt but was contious of him watching and reporting back to the league with what he was interpreting.

Had he been younger and up to scratch on today’s game / rules then it would have been great but it was like i was fighting battles all morning, him and his interpretation my own ideas then the players back chat plus the pre match admin team sheets subs etc.

Anyway I’ve done it & I’ve got a heads up for next week now, I don’t wish to sound ungreatful or a pr*ck but I’ve just sat for two weekends in a classroom being told one thing to then have someone come down and tell me the complete opposite which made my morning more stressful than it needed to be.

Best advice is quality time with good refs - best way IMHO is to run some lines and quiz your colleagues;)

Try and read up on the diagonal and anticipating the drop - there are some good threads on here but precious little useful online elsewhere it seems.

Get the basic positioning for set pieces from the LotG.

Don't think you have to cover every blade - you're not defending!

Do think about:
- get side on and not too close to players when they jump to compete for high balls (this is usually easy to focus on at goal kicks as you have time to think)
- watch the players not the ball to know where the ball will land at corners and don't stand still while the ball is in the air,
- save the mega sprints for when there is a proper break away, use your anticipation, if you are going to sprint, sprint hard and early,
- if you are sprinting to catch up with a one-on-one, don't chase the players, remember the diagonal helps give you an angle on potential fouls, so run at an angle and sacrifice some proximity to give you a better view
- on your diagonal (not the corners where ARs would be) do get close to the players if they are playing keep ball, shielding etc.
- don't get in the way of a crowded centre circle, or if a team is constantly passing through the centre circle, it's kinda no man's land for us, unless you are sprinting, but don't dance around it, brings me on to...
- economy if you can, that means not chasing the ball and moving too much when a team has easy possession

There are more of course. It took me maybe two-three years to get these naturally.

I have written here before that my first observer taught me to do the diagonal even in games with no ARs. She was right. IMHO. You might get different instructions locally. She said: when you have no ARs, learn the diagonal, imagine there are ARs, sacrifice a bit of throw in accuracy in order to learn the craft. Reality is, if you use the diagonal "properly" with no ARs, then you do end up running more, as of course there are times you have to go to the zones where your imaginary ARs would be! I've found that "guys: get promoted, get games with ARs, then we can all be sure if the ball was in or out" always gets a positive response.

Sorry, went on there.
Most important, don't panic. Enjoy. Take your time. Don't try everything at once!

Last edited:
Fully agree James but at 80yrs old and drumming into me how he only cautioned two players in his final 500 games, low and behold I go out there and don’t book a player for a clear and obvious yellow that became a taking point amongst players on the pitch and after the game.

He was a dear old boy and as I stated it was kind of him to pop down but as he was so far removed from today’s game, I was explaining some rule changes to him after the game like the kick off for example, I was trying to ref the game implementing what I’d learnt but was contious of him watching and reporting back to the league with what he was interpreting.

Had he been younger and up to scratch on today’s game / rules then it would have been great but it was like i was fighting battles all morning, him and his interpretation my own ideas then the players back chat plus the pre match admin team sheets subs etc.

Anyway I’ve done it & I’ve got a heads up for next week now, I don’t wish to sound ungreatful or a pr*ck but I’ve just sat for two weekends in a classroom being told one thing to then have someone come down and tell me the complete opposite which made my morning more stressful than it needed to be.
Every observer/mentors will tell you things you don't agree with or at least you are not sure about. That's the beauty of refereeing and the game. There are so many opinions for every situations. Some things are black and white, but some others... well just look at the number of debates on this forum.

Every observer/mentor will also tell you things you didn't know and you agree with, use those to improve your game. And for those you don't agree with now, well some you throw away and some may come handy in the future.

Last edited:
Best advice is quality time with good refs - best way IMHO is to run some lines and quiz your colleagues;)

Try and read up on the diagonal and anticipating the drop - there are some good threads on here but precious little useful online elsewhere it seems.

Get the basic positioning for set pieces from the LotG.

Don't think you have to cover every blade - you're not defending!

Do think about:
- get side on and not too close to players when they jump to compete for high balls (this is usually easy to focus on at goal kicks as you have time to think)
- watch the players not the ball to know where the ball will land at corners and don't stand still while the ball is in the air,
- save the mega sprints for when there is a proper break away, use your anticipation, if you are going to sprint, sprint hard and early,
- if you are sprinting to catch up with a one-on-one, don't chase the players, remember the diagonal helps give you an angle on potential fouls, so run at an angle and sacrifice some proximity to give you a better view
- on your diagonal (not the corners where ARs would be) do get close to the players if they are playing keep ball, shielding etc.
- don't get in the way of a crowded centre circle, or if a team is constantly passing through the centre circle, it's kinda no man's land for us, unless you are sprinting, but don't dance around it, brings me on to...
- economy if you can, that means not chasing the ball and moving too much when a team has easy possession

There are more of course. It took me maybe two-three years to get these naturally.

I have written here before that my first observer taught me to do the diagonal even in games with no ARs. She was right. IMHO. You might get different instructions locally. She said: when you have no ARs, learn the diagonal, imagine there are ARs, sacrifice a bit of throw in accuracy in order to learn the craft. Reality is, if you use the diagonal "properly" with no ARs, then you do end up running more, as of course there are times you have to go to the zones where your imaginary ARs would be! I've found that "guys: get promoted, get games with ARs, then we can all be sure if the ball was in or out" always gets a positive response.

Sorry, went on there.
Most important, don't panic. Enjoy. Take your time. Don't try everything at once!

Cheers Santa would you believe i watched so much pro footy on tv leading upto my first game & comparing it to what I witnessed on Sunday it may Aswell of been a different sport, pro footy there is so much possesion it gives the refs large parts of the game where they don’t have to move a lot, get to amature footy and it’s like ping pong backwards and forwards every 5 secs.

You say about the diagonal and people mention where to be and run at angles etc but I find it so difficult to put into practice albeit only one game in, Academically I’m not stupid but trying to process instruction on a refereeing basis in finding a challenge.

Anyway onto this weekend I’ve got a game & it’s top v bottom so I’m hoping it’s not to competitive, although the league have emailed me to say the old boy will be there again to watch, I was so hoping to be on my own & ref my way without someone else’s input that doesn’t actually know the current laws of the game, but hey I guess it’s the thought that counts.

Anyway appreciate everyone’s input I’ll update when I’ve ref’d game number two, fingers crossed.

Back