A&H

FA Cup - MNC vs MNU

Now there’s another shout from city (not a penalty at all)

I think we can all forsee what city fans are going to claim on twitter.

The Referee Store
To be honest I think the penalty is a relatively straightforward decision, particularly when it goes to VAR. Yes, maybe the game doesn’t expect it, but letter of the law it is absolutely a penalty. Argument seems to be its a natural position because he’s jumping, but let’s be real, there’s no need for him to jump with his hand above his head, particularly as, as @JamesL says, he’s coming down.

Side note: Commentary on both BBC and ITV is shocking. Pundits and commentators really need to take a LotG course.

Side note: Commentary on both BBC and ITV is shocking. Pundits and commentators really need to take a LotG course.
I’ve found they’re practically encouraging the narrative that city are being deliberately hard done by

He is coming down. Natural movement of arm is not to go upwards ergo hand/arm making body unnaturally bigger. It wasn't the natural movement for that specific situation.
Moment of insanity for me. Handball correct decision.
If he's not twisting mid air then I'd be inclined to agree. However, anybody twisting mid air will use their arms to generate that twisting motion and I think his arm position is justifiable.

Isn't the distance the ball came from supposed to be taken into account? It comes from behind him, I think it is harsh.
The ball went over his hand and the header just missed. Instinct is to block it from coming back regardless of distance. His hand made him bigger.

What I don't like is as soon as there is a pen seemingly harsh or soft, players start going down way too easily on the other end expecting a square up.

I’ve found they’re practically encouraging the narrative that city are being deliberately hard done by
I actually don’t know which channel to watch. I’d like to see Jermaine Jenas trying to referee this game. Lee Dixon and Ally McCoist just as bad on the other side.

I thought the handball was harsh initially, but having seen the replays at the time of contact his arm was going back up, that is why it has been given.

Interesting that Lineker has mentioned they might be looking at the wording of the Law RE: Handball for next season

Watching more replays I'm convinced that Grealish's arms come back up as a natural action to balance in anticipation of landing.
Whilst I agree his arm goes down and then back up but I still think it's a natural action of someone trying to keep their balance as they twist and land.

Watching more replays I'm convinced that Grealish's arms come back up as a natural action to balance in anticipation of landing.
Whilst I agree his arm goes down and then back up but I still think it's a natural action of someone trying to keep their balance as they twist and land.
I don't think so. Go outside and get someone to film you jumping, your arm won't back up like that I can promise you.

Interesting that Lineker has mentioned they might be looking at the wording of the Law RE: Handball for next season
I’ve just been thinking about this, and realised that no matter how it’s worded it’s going to be confusing. There’s always going to be an element of personal judgement unless you just go with “its handball every time it hits the hand”, which is even more unfair.

Grief that's not close to a foul on grealish
The intensity of the challenge though and the fact he was nowhere near the ball, there was some contact, albeit minimal, and there could be an argument that forcing an opponent to jump is worthy of a foul.

Back