A&H

FA Cup - MNC vs MNU

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Firstly: 13s is pretty quick.

Secondly: 11’ and a VAR check for potential SFP against Casemiro (MNU). Thoughts. No C&O error seen by the VAR, so no review. Definitely a caution for RP for me.

The Referee Store
I thought it was a awful challenge where he didn't seem to go for the ball at any point. Straight red for me and I think the ref gave a foul the other way as well didn't he?

The referee gave a United free kick so surely he should be sent to the monitor to review it. For me that is a clear red card.

For me I thought nothing of it real time, but I’d definitely be going for a caution, and most likely ref if I had the angle that broadcasters showed.

Whether VAR can deem it a C&O error is obviously subjective, but I wouldn’t complain if that was sent to the monitor for an OFR, we’ve seen similar get reviewed before now.

With the Casemiro foul, a couple of missed corners and throw ins and the PK decision, the team hasn't had the best of starts.

I don’t think they’ve had a poor game, but that first red card debate could’ve been a treat decision.

Not sure about that PK, really torn.

Did he stop the game randomly with the ball still in play to check the monitor?

If so - isn’t that technically against VAR Protocol?

Having seen it again, his initial movement is fine, but the second flick of the arm upwards is what takes it away from being ‘justifiable by the players actions’. For me, he’s got his arm out naturally, but then flicks it up.

However, whether it’s C&O, not sure.

Not a penalty for me (Utd fan)
Ball comes over his shoulder and then is headed back while he's mid air and turning.
Yes his hand is raised and there's contact but that is an entirely natural position for a player who is jumping and spinning.

If we’re calling that unnatural we might as well start chopping players arms off

I would rather that’s not given, but football is all over the place with handballs right now arguably.

Nightmare decision, and one set of fans will always have their grievances after that.

I think @Viridis1886 has just nailed it for me, there’s an argument for it being unnatural and therefore correct, but not what the game wants.

Not a penalty for me (Utd fan)
Ball comes over his shoulder and then is headed back while he's mid air and turning.
Yes his hand is raised and there's contact but that is an entirely natural position for a player who is jumping and spinning.
He is coming down. Natural movement of arm is not to go upwards ergo hand/arm making body unnaturally bigger. It wasn't the natural movement for that specific situation.
Moment of insanity for me. Handball correct decision.

Did he stop the game randomly with the ball still in play to check the monitor?

If so - isn’t that technically against VAR Protocol?
No. Clearly is in the protocol play can be stopped for an OFR in a neutral area.

He is coming down. Natural movement of arm is not to go upwards ergo hand/arm making body unnaturally bigger.
Moment of insanity for me. Handball correct decision.
Did you think HB on the first look, as we could all see the contact point, it was just a case of his movement.

Because whilst I’ve arrived thinking it’s the correct call; I’m not sure how comfortable I am with it.

The camera angle from behind the goal is what is more telling for me. His hand is on the way down just before the header but he raises it again in the very last moment that causes contact with the ball. I don't understand why he would do it.

VAR just agreed that there was no penalty there, 39’. I’m happy with that, nowhere near a C&O error.

The camera angle from behind the goal is what is more telling for me. His hand is on the way down just before the header but he raises it again in the very last moment that causes contact with the ball. I don't understand why he would do it.
I've not gone mad then 🤣
Did you think HB on the first look, as we could all see the contact point, it was just a case of his movement.

Because whilst I’ve arrived thinking it’s the correct call; I’m not sure how comfortable I am with it.
Not in real time as I wasn't looking but as soon as I did see the replay it was clear Handball for me.

Isn't the distance the ball came from supposed to be taken into account? It comes from behind him, I think it is harsh. But, the final was getting boring from a neutrals perspective. Glad it was given.

De bruyner down...PK? Again hard to give it but also seen lesser tackles awarded...

Back