A&H

Evening game now no lights

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't see it you didn't see it. We've all been there where you have a player with blood pouring from his nose and an opponent looking very sheepish and possibly even with blood on his knuckles. Even so, you can't send him off as you didn't see it, and if you didn't have neutral extra eyes in terms of assistants or 4th official.

All you can really do, and I've done it, is say to the player who you think / know has guilty and say "I know what you did there mate, you are just lucky I didn't see it, so you'd best be careful"

The Referee Store
If you didn't see it you didn't see it. We've all been there where you have a player with blood pouring from his nose and an opponent looking very sheepish and possibly even with blood on his knuckles. Even so, you can't send him off as you didn't see it, and if you didn't have neutral extra eyes in terms of assistants or 4th official.

All you can really do, and I've done it, is say to the player who you think / know has guilty and say "I know what you did there mate, you are just lucky I didn't see it, so you'd best be careful"

Almost feels an injustice though doesn’t it.

God does anything about this game get easier :mad:

One piece of advice is don't bury your head in your book as soon as a goal is scored. All kinds of **** could be kicking off and as you have experienced tonight that is a possibility. That's a tip I got off one of the most recent observations I had. Another is to not rush towards the centre circle but rather be behind the celebrating crowd and to the side, in full view of the entire pitch and calmly usher them back into their own half.

If there isnt going to be enough light and you know it you need to agree with both captains to reduce BOTH HALVES.
If you dont and you run out of light then you must abandon the game and report it as abandoned due to insufficient light. In any event both halves must be of equal length. You cant just blow early

Is there a minimum time required when reducing the halves? I had a look in LOTG a while ago and can't remember finding anything.

Asking for a friend here (definitely not me ;)) but is it bad to use some trickery/skulduggery to get the decision right?

U18 local Sunday game. Missed it. Completely off the ball i.e one team is attacking and a defender and forward the opposite side of pitch behind play get into some wrestling. Realised it had kicked off a couple of seconds after incident. Separate all the players. Let it settle down. CAR from each team. CAR 1 (parent of a player on the team) tells me that his player from his son's team head butted opposition player. CAR of opposing team also verifies this. So, the headbutter get's a red card mainly due to the honestly of the CAR parent who I also knew personally and trusted. Now, the same CAR tells me that the player who was headbutted on the opposition reacted and punched the headbutter in the face. This time the opposite CAR won't verify this and says he didn't see it. So no admission from the parent CAR on the same team as the player who retaliated with the punch. I've sent one off. I can't leave the other one on. I trust the CAR who I know as a genuine person but I'm struggling to go on his word alone when sending an opposition player off. I take the player who was headbutted who threw the punch back to one side and at this point no idea what I'm going to do and tell him "I've been told you threw a punch, I'm going to send you off anyway but I'm going to ask you a question first, I need to know did you punch him in the face, you are still getting sent off but if you answer me honestly it will help and I'll make a note of it in my report " He butted me so I punched him in the head". "Thanks very much, I'll make a note of it. " Job done. Red card. See ya later alligator.

Last edited:
Asking for a friend here (definitely not me ;)) but is it bad to use some trickery/skulduggery to get the decision right?

U18 local Sunday game. Missed it. Completely off the ball i.e one team is attacking and a defender and forward the opposite side of pitch behind play get into some wrestling. Realised it had kicked off a couple of seconds after incident. Separate all the players. Let it settle down. CAR from each team. CAR 1 (parent of a player on the team) tells me that his player from his son's team head butted opposition player. CAR of opposing team also verifies this. So, the headbutter get's a red card mainly due to the honestly of the CAR parent who I also knew personally and trusted. Now, the same CAR tells me that the player who was headbutted on the opposition reacted and punched the headbutter in the face. This time the opposite CAR won't verify this and says he didn't see it. So no admission from the parent CAR on the same team as the player who retaliated with the punch. I've sent one off. I can't leave the other one on. I trust the CAR who I know as a genuine person but I'm struggling to go on his word alone when sending an opposition player off. I take the player who was headbutted who threw the punch back to one side and at this point no idea what I'm going to do and tell him "I've been told you threw a punch, I'm going to send you off anyway but I'm going to ask you a question first, I need to know did you punch him in the face, you are still getting sent off but if you answer me honestly it will help and I'll make a note of it in my report " He butted me so I punched him in the head". "Thanks very much, I'll make a note of it. " Job done. Red card. See ya later alligator.

Along the lines of what I did, I had the jist of it, I’m going yellow on both I’ve seen something but not 100%, both Lino’s identical accounts & I said to the lad what did you say when you lent down to him, he verified it & that was that.

I guess it’s using a bit of savy out there to get the end result correct but I’d rather see the incident 100% fully and clearly myself tbh.

I think we’re on the same page tbh with some things northlon, I basically used the info I had to get an admission from the player, probably not advisable on a regular basis but sometimes you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to get the correct decision.

Allow me to just pick up on something over looked in the first post.
Granted we all want our admin to be gospel but, at scoring of goal, book is well down the list of priorities. You know its a goal, and given the restart is a kivk off, you are not going to forget it. The book only comes out when everything is good, no squabbling to get ball out of net, no afters, most, if not all players are back in their oen half, and, well, there is nothing to see here. Then and only then do your eyes deviate from the surroundings
The time, will be one min max from what your watch now shows
The scorer, if you have it, great. If not, say in passing, and catch up when you can, or even at end grab quick word with team and confirm scorer
My book tends to come out when am back in my starting position and so are the players
Does it mean I wont ever miss anything? No
Does it mean it gives me another 30 secs to watch everything thats going on? Yes

Lesson learned I guess, I won’t be so quick to get my book out next time, in all fairness I’d taken my eyes off the field for milliseconds but I guess that’s all it takes.

It was totally out of character for the game Aswell but again it’s a lesson learned not to get to comfortable & always expect the unexpected.

Just annoying that I got a lot of people after game saying that I was one of the best they’ve had all season & you play a consistent game ref thanks for tonight yet inside I’m super pishd off at myself for not seeing the incident properly.

I guess they’re be a lot more learning curves along the way.

On a side note something quite interesting, only one bad challenge in the game blatantly late not overly nasty but borderline yellow, I gave him benefit as only 5 mins into game, had a word with him said are we gonna get any more of that.. he was gobsmacked that I was talking to him..

Anyway low and behold it’s the same lad that lost it on his teammates behalf in the coming together towards the end.

So two things it would have had to of been a second yellow for him had I booked him earlier which would have heeped even more pressure and doubt on me as I didn’t clearly see he’s jump into the lad in the 2nd half.

Second of all I’m coming to the conclusion that some players zone out for 90 mins they’re not fully aware of what’s going on around them, he’d fouled someone borderline yellow & didn’t even realise it he was shocked I was talking to him, it’s bizarre I was fully aware as a player what I was doing and what was going on but since refereeing I’m noticing some players don’t seem to be playing the same game as everyone else they’re in there own little bubble.

Another thing folkes i pulled my calf lastnite, I can barely put weight on it.

I’m due to be ref’n tomoz morning & I really don’t want to let the clubs down as it’s a double header and there last two games of season, it’s 25 mins each way x4.

I’m thinking how on earth can i ref it with one leg, I’ll ice it today & try to find something to strap it with tomoz but what the hell do I do if i get out there tomoz and it’s agony, if I cannot keep up with play and miss things I’m gonna be in trouble.

Half of me wants to let them know I’m injured and can’t make it, half of me wants to attend the game & explain I’m injured but I’ll do my best but if I look a bit odd or far away from play then please excuse me.

I played Sunday ref’d wed night & last night it’s finnaly taken its toll.

Any advice?

If you injuried you dont ref, one, clubs deserve a fully fit referee and two, if you are indeed injured you will potentially cause yourself more damage and be out of action for longer
Suppose you could take half match fee for being a half fit ref, to balance out
Yes clubs will want games covered and nobody wants a late call off. Safety first

Another thing folkes i pulled my calf lastnite, I can barely put weight on it.

I’m due to be ref’n tomoz morning & I really don’t want to let the clubs down as it’s a double header and there last two games of season, it’s 25 mins each way x4.

I’m thinking how on earth can i ref it with one leg, I’ll ice it today & try to find something to strap it with tomoz but what the hell do I do if i get out there tomoz and it’s agony, if I cannot keep up with play and miss things I’m gonna be in trouble.

Half of me wants to let them know I’m injured and can’t make it, half of me wants to attend the game & explain I’m injured but I’ll do my best but if I look a bit odd or far away from play then please excuse me.

I played Sunday ref’d wed night & last night it’s finnaly taken its toll.

Any advice?
If you are injured come off the game. Or at least give an opportunity for them to find a replacement.

If you injuried you dont ref, one, clubs deserve a fully fit referee and two, if you are indeed injured you will potentially cause yourself more damage and be out of action for longer
Suppose you could take half match fee for being a half fit ref, to balance out
Yes clubs will want games covered and nobody wants a late call off. Safety first

It is a tricky one if it was today I’d call it off but 24hrs I’m hoping I can get through it, I need to make decision now I guess to give them time.

It was bloody playing on Sunday done my body in from head to toe.

I’ve emailed both managers put them in the picture & given them half a chance to arrange for a different ref.

If not I’ll just have to try my best, Atleast I’ve notified them that I’m struggling.

Give those eyes and brain a rest too, they've both been letting you down lately and they need a rest too!!! :cool: Look after yourself first!! :pirate:

Appreciate it so basically im ready for the scrap heep then Sheff.

I used to be on the tools and would return home physically tired, I'm in sales and management now and 1000 miles a week and the mental stuff means I'm almost constantly mentally tired. Completely different tiredness. Refereeing wasn't helping me in any form of work recuperation, in fact it was awful crawling into work on a Monday both mentally tired and physically stiff... something had to give eventually... Work came first and refereeing had to take a back seat!! You need proper rest and being a RefSecs bitch doesn't help with anything!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back