A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
It was a bit stranger because he was writing on his yellow card that he was pulling out the wallet.

Bjorn Kuipers also uses a wallet, mostly pulls a separate yellow from a side pocket, however reds usually always come from the wallet. On the game just now Orsato is also using a wallet to record cards after they’ve been issued from a side pocket.
Kuipers' reds always come from his chest pocket, no wallet to be found though

I've actually got some sympathy - Danielson has stretched to get the ball but Besedin is coming in at speed to challenge for the ball that's dropping; he's not even in shot when Danielson goes for the ball. What is Danielson supposed to do? Just let the ball drop and bounce? Leave it for the incoming opponent to play it?
Yes. That's exactly what he's supposed to do.

It's the same as the Croatian elbow last week - the question asked then was "is he supposed to not use his arms to jump? Don't people realise that means you can't jump as high?" To which, the answer is that you can use your arms all you like, up until the point an opponent's face is in the way.

Similarly here, he has 2 choices: 1) Play the ball and risk breaking an opponent's leg or 2) Not play the ball, stay on his feet and then challenge for it after the bounce. As soon as you choose option 1, you open up the possibility that you'll be sent off.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic in Danielson's case because VAR didn't see this as a red.

And I'm not sure if it even got a mention on here...

1625042280773.png

The Irish Times had a comment on that Portugal v Belgium game:

"The rules are supposed to be there to protect players from injury and to prevent egregious and cynical foul play. VAR has created a culture where micro-events, initially missed by the referee and most of the players, can be gamed into match-deciding penalties and red cards, while at the same time many obviously dangerous fouls continue to go unpunished.

"The distinction between what is punished and what isn’t continues to be quite arbitrary, only now referees no longer have their eternal alibi: I did not see the incident. The game is now governed by an infuriating mix of traffic warden pedantry and incomprehensible official blindness."

I mean....I get that you're looking to make a point about that other tackle on KdB, but I'm afraid other than the fact they both occurred "during a football match", I don't see the connection between the two challenges.

And I'm not a proponent of the idea of red cards for that kind of challenge anyway; as BTW, is also the case in that article you link - even in that, the argument is that the Portugal player who fouled KdB should already have been on a yellow, not that they should have received red for that tackle in isolation. We should not be getting in the habit of changing decisions based on outcome.

The tackle we're discussing is a dangerous tackle that resulted in an injury and should be sanctioned with red. The tackle you're trying to being into the discussion is a less-dangerous tackle that unfortunately happened to result in an injury - those are not the same thing and should not receive the same sanction.

I mean....I get that you're looking to make a point about that other tackle on KdB, but I'm afraid other than the fact they both occurred "during a football match", I don't see the connection between the two challenges.

And I'm not a proponent of the idea of red cards for that kind of challenge anyway; as BTW, is also the case in that article you link - even in that, the argument is that the Portugal player who fouled KdB should already have been on a yellow, not that they should have received red for that tackle in isolation. We should not be getting in the habit of changing decisions based on outcome.

The tackle we're discussing is a dangerous tackle that resulted in an injury and should be sanctioned with red. The tackle you're trying to being into the discussion is a less-dangerous tackle that unfortunately happened to result in an injury - those are not the same thing and should not receive the same sanction.
If it "happened to result in an injury" it wasn't less dangerous, was it? Palhinha is off the ground - how is that not a lunge from behind endangering an opponent?

(For younger readers, the lunge definition is from when IFAB made any tackle from behind a red-card offence as inherently dangerous. That prompted questions over why a frontal studs-up tackle wasn't similarly punished, and we ended up with the present lunge from any direction wording.)

I thought the Swedish challenge was unfortunate. The player was merely trying to win a ball that was off the ground with a 'normal clearance'. The follow through was just one of those things. That said, the safety of the opponent was clearly endangered so there was no choice but to dismiss
What does dismay me however, is Referee's (in the game and on the forum) obsessions with freeze frames and slow motions. When will people realize that this way of looking at things brings nothing to the table. We either see red in real-time, or VAR shows a real-time replay from another angle that shows the R (and the rest of us) that a C&O mistake has been made. That's not happening as it should at the moment

We had this discussion before for Balbuena sending off in West Ham vs Chelsea a couple of months ago. Very similar. That one didn't even have lunge. Here is my response to that which more or less applies here.

We have seen time and time again the wording in law leaves a lot to be desired.

Regarding SFP, nowhere in law does it say SFP is limited to when challenging for the ball. It does say UEF or brutality in challenging for ball is SFP but it does not limit it to it. "If A then B" does not mean "A only if B". This is all semantics though. A player UEF against an opponent must be sent off. Put it under whatever category you like.

Having said that I can understand both sides of the argument here. If It come down to what football expects, it seems that would be split. Personally I would go SFP here. Safety is priority and the onus is on players to ensure it even if you are doing something that is a natural football movement.

We had this discussion before for Balbuena sending off in West Ham vs Chelsea a couple of months ago. Very similar. That one didn't even have lunge. Here is my response to that which more or less applies here.
I see what you are saying but the when not playing for the ball in Violent Conduct, implies that SFP when challenging for the ball.
As you say though, it really is semantics, and in any event is a send off.

I thought the Swedish challenge was unfortunate. The player was merely trying to win a ball that was off the ground with a 'normal clearance'. The follow through was just one of those things. That said, the safety of the opponent was clearly endangered so there was no choice but to dismiss
What does dismay me however, is Referee's (in the game and on the forum) obsessions with freeze frames and slow motions. When will people realize that this way of looking at things brings nothing to the table. We either see red in real-time, or VAR shows a real-time replay from another angle that shows the R (and the rest of us) that a C&O mistake has been made. That's not happening as it should at the moment
I get what you are saying, but imagine being on the other end of that challenge.
Not such a problem for our elite players but, a grassroots player on the other end of a similar challenge then can't go to work the next day coz his legs snapped in two. Just one of those things? I'm not sure I agree with that and subscribe to how @GraemeS puts it. He has to take enough care of win the ball cleanly and not almost break his opponents leg.
Agree it should be seen in real time BUT point of contact it specifically says to use freeze or slo mo. I don't think the freeze or slo mo enhance the severity of this challenge in anyway.
You show him where he catches him, then show the force at full speed the only outcome is a salutation, and it's not a hello.

I get what you are saying, but imagine being on the other end of that challenge.
Not such a problem for our elite players but, a grassroots player on the other end of a similar challenge then can't go to work the next day coz his legs snapped in two. Just one of those things? I'm not sure I agree with that and subscribe to how @GraemeS puts it. He has to take enough care of win the ball cleanly and not almost break his opponents leg.
Agree it should be seen in real time BUT point of contact it specifically says to use freeze or slo mo. I don't think the freeze or slo mo enhance the severity of this challenge in anyway.
You show him where he catches him, then show the force at full speed the only outcome is a salutation, and it's not a hello.
It's primarily an accident IMO
These things happen
Any player who does not commit to clearing that ball (despite being off the ground) is not playing competitively (and won't make the grade)
That said, the opponent was clearly endangered, so I have no issue with the dismissal because there has to be a balance between injury caused by competitive play and a deterrent against causing accidents by not acting with precaution
I stress, I have no issue with the dismissal, but I've played for a lot more years than I've refereed, so I still see things a lot from the playing perspective

I missed it in real time but the re-play in real time made me immediately say red card.

Clearly accidental as most fouls are, but you can’t go flying into challenges like that.

It's primarily an accident IMO
These things happen
Any player who does not commit to clearing that ball (despite being off the ground) is not playing competitively (and won't make the grade)
That said, the opponent was clearly endangered, so I have no issue with the dismissal because there has to be a balance between injury caused by competitive play and a deterrent against causing accidents by not acting with precaution
I stress, I have no issue with the dismissal, but I've played for a lot more years than I've refereed, so I still see things a lot from the playing perspective
Then I think, largely, we are making the same point.
The "it's one of those things" lead me to think you had some opposition to the dismissal.
I think from a player perspective your opinion of that challenge changes dependent on which side you are on imo.

Then I think, largely, we are making the same point.
The "it's one of those things" lead me to think you had some opposition to the dismissal.
I think from a player perspective your opinion of that challenge changes dependent on which side you are on imo.
Yes, I don't mean to downplay an incident in which a player may have been seriously injured, I'm just offering a different view on things
@socal lurker recommended (a few days ago) the book, 'The Art of Refereeing'. That book has a common theme of seeing things from the player's (and the wider audience) perspective and how that's part of the art of refereeing. I think a lot of Referees are trained to see things from a perspective that nobody else understands... and that makes for poor refereeing
These slo-mo's and snap-shots feed into that mantra of not seeing things for what they are

If it "happened to result in an injury" it wasn't less dangerous, was it? Palhinha is off the ground - how is that not a lunge from behind endangering an opponent?

(For younger readers, the lunge definition is from when IFAB made any tackle from behind a red-card offence as inherently dangerous. That prompted questions over why a frontal studs-up tackle wasn't similarly punished, and we ended up with the present lunge from any direction wording.)
One tackle is innately very dangerous with a very high risk of causing injury. The other is much less dangerous, with a much lower chance of causing injury. What actually ended up happening doesn't change that description.

I get that you have a club-related interest in seeing anyone who hurts KdB punished, but your blue-tinted specs are getting in the way of the actual refereeing discussion here. The two challenges are not comparable in risk, in force or in likelihood of injury, and therefore they should not recieve comparable punishment. You are comparing apples and oranges (or cherries and lemons) here. Again, even the article you came up with to try and make your point with doesn't actually think that was a red for the KdB challenge!

Point of contact is a key factor in the determination of SFP vs a reckless challenge. I'm with you that stills or slo-mos are not good for other factors, but point of contact sometimes needs things slowed down.

Hypothetically speaking, the crew could say "everything else about this says SFP, but I need to see where the contact happened." I believe that in the US, MLS/PRO state that slow-mos are only supposed to be used to identify point of contact. I can support that use.

Point of contact is a key factor in the determination of SFP vs a reckless challenge. I'm with you that stills or slo-mos are not good for other factors, but point of contact sometimes needs things slowed down.

Hypothetically speaking, the crew could say "everything else about this says SFP, but I need to see where the contact happened." I believe that in the US, MLS/PRO state that slow-mos are only supposed to be used to identify point of contact. I can support that use.
It's what the VAR protocol says:

• The VAR can ‘check’ the footage in normal speed and/or in slow motion but,
in general, slow-motion replays should only be used for facts, e.g. position of
offence/player, point of contact for physical offences and handball, ball out of
play (including goal/no goal); normal speed should be used for the ‘intensity’
of an offence or to decide if it was a handball offence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back