A&H

England v Sweden.

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Top tips? Everyone seems to think England will win, Sweden are banking on that over-confidence.

Shouldn't be a repeat of the England v Colombia hysterics this time around.

As I wait, I am reading the BBC Live Feed thumbs downing any thing Martin Keown says. The guy is stealing a living as a pundit, it's absurd!

The Referee Store
England unchanged. No great surprise
Gareth's not the biggest risk taker to ever grace the planet

Difficult one to call.
We ain't all that so I can't imagine why folk would think we'll win without too much bother.
My guess is it'll be a very tight and cagey affair. I think if we go a goal down against the Swedes we're buggered. I think Sweden are a fitter team than us as well.
I predict a 1-1 scoreline with us going out on pens. :bite:

England gambled into 10/11 favorites (90 mins)
Sweden 9/2
The odds become 'out-of-line' in such circumstances, but it takes a strange mindset to bet against one's hopes

A very one sided affair. The assistant on the near side forgot his lines, but other than that it's been one-way traffic
Need to kill the game off

No idea how Sterling can be so good for City and yet lack the composure to put it away or make a decision for England.

Also, although they're winning, I really do not like this 5-3-2 (let's not mince words, it is a 5-3-2) formation Gareth has them set up in. Reminds me of Van Gaal's tenure at United. It's turgid and almost devoid of ideas. The midfield is full of runners but lacks creativity (Henderson pass aside). I think we're lucky to have had an easy(ish) route through to this point because a decent team should be steamrolling the gaps here and utilising the high press to negate the back three - Which Sweden are trying to do to be fair.

Did I say how much I dislike the 5-3-2? :p It would work if we had a deep lying playmaker or defenders with vision...

Anyway, that's enough negativeness from me.

Hopefully they'll make it 2-0 and we're off to the semi finals. :D

As for the referee; Done well, wish his linesmen didn't get those two decisions wrong though.

It was the flag (indicated in @one 's post which was critical because it denied Sweden a very good chance. Maybe the assistant forgot about the late flag as he was on half way

No idea how Sterling can be so good for City and yet lack the composure to put it away or make a decision for England.

Also, although they're winning, I really do not like this 5-3-2 (let's not mince words, it is a 5-3-2) formation Gareth has them set up in. Reminds me of Van Gaal's tenure at United. It's turgid and almost devoid of ideas. The midfield is full of runners but lacks creativity (Henderson pass aside). I think we're lucky to have had an easy(ish) route through to this point because a decent team should be steamrolling the gaps here and utilising the high press to negate the back three - Which Sweden are trying to do to be fair.

Did I say how much I dislike the 5-3-2? :p It would work if we had a deep lying playmaker or defenders with vision...

Anyway, that's enough negativeness from me.

Hopefully they'll make it 2-0 and we're off to the semi finals. :D

As for the referee; Done well, wish his linesmen didn't get those two decisions wrong though.
Don't worry, Shelvey's coming on at half time
I've always liked 5-3-2 because it is the basis for flexibilty

Back