A&H

England v République de Colombie

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is where you dont get it ! Sport is not about masculinity ! its about psychology mixed in with abilty.
Its a dark ages mentality to suggest we will back up big brave man even though he misses, over someone who feels confident enough to complete the task in hand.
hi five bravdo in the changing room later cos even though you were not feeling it, you stepped up and will accept the glorious failure because your reputation as a macho man is still intact...
If am Vardy, or me, then, I want my team to go through. If that means I come out it looking like a whelk, then so be it. Thats why football is a team game.....
You sum up it. You would hobble etc to take a pen for your country. A team sport however, is not about YOU.

If your stepping up to take the vital pen unfit and unprepared and unwilling in all but the name of bravery, then you are doing your country treason and a disservice....

The Referee Store
His name was down & then he realised through the pain he coudnt take it so Dier stepped up.

Make of it what u want I couldn’t give a feck tbh, but yes I’d rather a striker that takes pens for Leicester step up over a holding midfielder.

I’d hobble on one leg & crutches to take a pen for my country, anyway it’s done now you’ve made it clear that your with Vardy as you’d be looking to be substituted with 5 mins to go.

Remind me if the going ever gets tough not to give you a call Ciley.

Since when is the position you play relevant to whether you take a penalty? I'd much rather a player who is confident of scoring take one rather than a player who isn't. Remind me how the holding midfielder got on with his as well?

I'd also advise that you look José Luis Chilavert up on Youtube.

The point is he was down to take one he didn’t have a gun to head.

He all of a sudden couldn’t take one.

Make of it what u like as I said it’s fish & chips paper now, we’re through that’s all that matters

His name was down & then he realised through the pain he coudnt take it so Dier stepped up.

Make of it what u want I couldn’t give a feck tbh, but yes I’d rather a striker that takes pens for Leicester step up over a holding midfielder.

I’d hobble on one leg & crutches to take a pen for my country, anyway it’s done now you’ve made it clear that your with Vardy as you’d be looking to be substituted with 5 mins to go.

Remind me if the going ever gets tough not to give you a call Ciley.

I will happy not accept the call and instead pass the phone onto Wilfred Owen.

I will happy not accept the call and instead pass the phone onto Wilfred Owen.

You brought your 3 lions shirt yet Ciley?

Did u get Kane on the back, he’s the top scorer at Hampden this season ain’t he? ;)

The point is he was down to take one he didn’t have a gun to head.

He all of a sudden couldn’t take one.

Make of it what u like as I said it’s fish & chips paper now, we’re through that’s all that matters

I'm with Myrus Ciley on this one.

It's a question of being honest with yourself. It's the mental thing.

Sure, you can argue that it's jack to let someone else take the heat for you (especially if they were to miss and get lumbered with that stigma that would have been yours) but equally (and I think more importantly) it's better to opt out if you really don't feel confident that you can do it rather than just let your team down by attempting something you shouldn't have.

Who the hell wants somebody stepping up to take that last penalty that already thinks he's gonna miss? It's a no brainer. :cool:

I'm with Myrus Ciley on this one.

It's a question of being honest with yourself. It's the mental thing.

Sure, you can argue that it's jack to let someone else take the heat for you (especially if they were to miss and get lumbered with that stigma that would have been yours) but equally (and I think more importantly) it's better to opt out if you really don't feel confident that you can do it rather than just let your team down by attempting something you shouldn't have.

Who the hell wants somebody stepping up to take that last penalty that already thinks he's gonna miss? It's a no brainer. :cool:

Do you think any player on the planet that steps up in a penalty shoot out is confident and pleased to be there?

So had Dier of missed and we went round another 4-5 players it’s down to Vardy or Pickford, then what off u go Jordan, Vardy ain’t feeling it.

Give me a break nobody wants to take one but sum1’s gotta show the size of there testicals

Do you think any player on the planet that steps up in a penalty shoot out is confident and pleased to be there?

So had Dier of missed and we went round another 4-5 players it’s down to Vardy or Pickford, then what off u go Jordan, Vardy ain’t feeling it.

Give me a break nobody wants to take one but sum1’s gotta show the size of there testicals
I don't think any player is pleased to be in a penalty shootout but I'm 100% sure some will be confident. If this Vardy thing is true (it hasn't actually been verified that he was number 5, it's just paper talk) then yes, maybe some others were mentally stronger to take a penalty but if you've got 11 players on the pitch are you going to pick the 5 players who are confident they can score, or 5 players based on their position?

To be honest with you, I'm quite surprised that you don't agree with Vardy not taking a penalty in this scenario. A scenario with the sheer amount of pressure you would find impossible to replicate. It's a no brainer that if he wasn't confident he shouldn't take one. It's not a 'manly thing' to take a penalty ... if anything, him stepping back for somebody else and admitting he can't go through with it in front of a load of 'lads' is a testament to him putting his team mates and country in front of his ego

Erm ... :wall:

Glad you're not England manager mate!!

Picture the scene:

TV Reporter: "Well Mr MIB, another defeat on penalties - what do you think went wrong?"

MIB (England Coach): I'll tell yuz all what went wrong - that wimp Vardy missing his penalty that's what!!". Told me he didn't feel up to it and thought he was gonna miss - so I told him - man-up fella and get out there - useless bugger missed didn't he!! That's what went wrong!!"

TV Reporter: Erm .... :wtf:

:p:D:p

I don't think any player is pleased to be in a penalty shootout but I'm 100% sure some will be confident. If this Vardy thing is true (it hasn't actually been verified that he was number 5, it's just paper talk) then yes, maybe some others were mentally stronger to take a penalty but if you've got 11 players on the pitch are you going to pick the 5 players who are confident they can score, or 5 players based on their position?

To be honest with you, I'm quite surprised that you don't agree with Vardy not taking a penalty in this scenario. A scenario with the sheer amount of pressure you would find impossible to replicate. It's a no brainer that if he wasn't confident he shouldn't take one. It's not a 'manly thing' to take a penalty ... if anything, him stepping back for somebody else and admitting he can't go through with it in front of a load of 'lads' is a testament to him putting his team mates and country in front of his ego

So why was he down to take one then, he said he was to injured during the shoot out.

Will be interesting to see if there is any footage of him sprinting and celebrating when Dier scored.

Got no problem with sum1 saying I’m not up to it mentally, I have however got a problem with sum1 bottling it who’s name was down to take one & using injury as an excuse.

He could of course have been to injured to strike a ball but like I said a replay of the celebrations might shed sum light

Erm ... :wall:

Glad you're not England manager mate!!

Picture the scene:

TV Reporter: "Well Mr MIB, another defeat on penalties - what do you think went wrong?"

MIB (England Coach): I'll tell yuz all what went wrong - that wimp Vardy missing his penalty that's what!!". Told me he didn't feel up to it and thought he was gonna miss - so I told him - man-up fella and get out there - useless bugger missed didn't he!! That's what went wrong!!"

TV Reporter: Erm .... :wtf:

:p:D:p

He didn’t say he wasn’t upto it, he said he was injured.

I can take sum1 being man enough to admit they don’t want to take one, but to blame it on an injury?

Anyway like your little comedy sketch ;)

Got no problem with sum1 saying I’m not up to it mentally, I have however got a problem with sum1 bottling it who’s name was down to take one & using injury as an excuse.

He could of course have been to injured to strike a ball but like I said a replay of the celebrations might shed sum light

Same thing mate. ;)

Disagree. The Henderson incident happened because he'd stuck himself in the middle of a wall and couldn't see the contact. Dissent all over the place. Ineffective pointing at shoving players.

EDIT: he's using cards to get a grip on it now which is good, but would have been much better 20 mins ago.
Agree, the cards came far too late.

So why was he down to take one then, he said he was to injured during the shoot out.

Will be interesting to see if there is any footage of him sprinting and celebrating when Dier scored.

He was probably down to take a penalty before we'd even reach penalties but I ask you two things

1) Can you verify he was a penalty taker without media speculation i.e Gareth Southgate or Jamie Vardy quote
2) Evidence that Jamie Vardy 'bottled it'

The celebrations did shed some light, an injured Jamie Vardy holding his groin as he ran towards Pickford. Southgate has already confirmed that he'd be given an injection before the match

He was probably down to take a penalty before we'd even reach penalties but I ask you two things

1) Can you verify he was a penalty taker without media speculation i.e Gareth Southgate or Jamie Vardy quote
2) Evidence that Jamie Vardy 'bottled it'

The celebrations did shed some light, an injured Jamie Vardy holding his groin as he ran towards Pickford. Southgate has already confirmed that he'd be given an injection before the match
Paul 'hard-man' Ince bottled it in Euro '96 and left it to some poor sod who had not taken a penalty since school, can't remember his name though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back