A&H

England v République de Colombie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Personally I think Colombia's attitude hindered Englands performance. Southgate has tried to make England into a high tempo possession based side but Colombia's aggression and constant stop start prevented that. England did the correct thing (the majoirty of the time) and let Colombia wind themselves up

Goals aside, how good was Harry Kane? He's the natural leader England have been crying out for. His attitude is exceptional and he leads by example. Every corner he's being manhandled but he never retaliates and get's in the referees face like most would. He simply waits and expects the referee to do his job which he did! He was winning everything in the air, holding the ball up well, dropping into midfield and battled to the end.

Before the tournament I was concerned about this side on paper but the togetherness, passion and fight these lads are showing is something I've not seen in an England shirt in a long time, if ever! It finally looks like we've got a group of players who care more about their country than their paycheck!

Just think .... this could have been Allardyce!

Que a 3-0 defeat to Sweden ;)

Another of my Swedish equipment suppliers rang today, expecting a close European type game. Ibra is bleating on their TV that he should have been there, personally I’m glad he’s not!

Not really a referee issue, but, 2 things, Vardy, was he to be pen taker number 6? But a wider point, there is 5 mins to go before pens, surely, unless you are Matt Le Tiss or in todays game, Harry Kane, surely, deep down inside you somewhere you are praying to be subbed? I dont care how much mental training you have had, or how much practise, as soon as that final whistle goes and you are still on the park, it must hit home that "it could be you". Esp as we know too well the ridicule Waddle, Pearce, Southgate etc have suffered, or things like Beckhams red card or Nevilles pen he gave away...team game and all that, but, human nature to be nervous......

Vardy was down as no5, he had an injury that apparantly prevented him for taking it.

#bottlejob

My conclusions from last night;
1) Despite the circular, which doesn't seem to exist (from 5 years ago), I'm 90% on the red card. Locking horns is one thing, but Henderson could have bitten his tongue or chipped a tooth. Game management, I'd be disappointed if I bottled that red
2) The ref did OK in difficult circumstances, not of his own making IMO. He's probably very good without interference
3) Player behaviour is disgraceful and I'd have stopped watching the tournament if we'd went out
4) Cheating is killing the game
5) Hardly surprising that Sterling has been our poorest player. He's never done much in an England shirt and the machine gun thing was idiotic. I'm not a Deli Ali fan either

Vardy was down as no5, he had an injury that apparantly prevented him for taking it.

#bottlejob

Really? Surprising, he dont come across like that, but then again, as I typed, who knows what happens in that pressure. I just assumed he was 6, as in, the potential sudden death winner. .

Not really a referee issue, but, 2 things, Vardy, was he to be pen taker number 6? But a wider point, there is 5 mins to go before pens, surely, unless you are Matt Le Tiss or in todays game, Harry Kane, surely, deep down inside you somewhere you are praying to be subbed? I dont care how much mental training you have had, or how much practise, as soon as that final whistle goes and you are still on the park, it must hit home that "it could be you". Esp as we know too well the ridicule Waddle, Pearce, Southgate etc have suffered, or things like Beckhams red card or Nevilles pen he gave away...team game and all that, but, human nature to be nervous......
Interesting you are thinking about English player wanting to be subbed off because the will be rediculed for a miss.
How about Colombian players wanting to be subbed off for fear of being murdered for a miss. It won't be the first time.

My conclusions from last night;
1) Despite the circular, which doesn't seem to exist (from 5 years ago), I'm 90% on the red card. Locking horns is one thing, but Henderson could have bitten his tongue or chipped a tooth. Game management, I'd be disappointed if I bottled that red
2) The ref did OK in difficult circumstances, not of his own making IMO. He's probably very good without interference
3) Player behaviour is disgraceful and I'd have stopped watching the tournament if we'd went out
4) Cheating is killing the game
5) Hardly surprising that Sterling has been our poorest player. He's never done much in an England shirt. I'm not a Deli Ali fan either

1> the directive changed certainly in my country due to potential legal action outside of football. If I cba to dig out the case, i will.

Interesting you are thinking about English player wanting to be subbed off because the will be rediculed for a miss.
How about Colombian players wanting to be subbed off for fear of being murdered for a miss. It won't be the first time.

Yes exactly, I did not mean last nights England game and only that, I meant, overall, any pen kicks, anywhere. Was using England as its relevant to last night but the thought process is the same bigger picture wise. Its entirely possible each of those Columbians stepping up had that thought flashing through their mind Tbh as well, if I was Pickford, I would have, when handing the ball the striker whispered "your getting shot when you miss mate" very underhand I know but, if it came to it you need these mind tricks.

every one of those footballers is capable of kicking a ball 12 yards. Its not that you are proving when it comes to pens in a game like that. Its whether you have the mentality to do it, not the abilty.

Last edited:

#bottlejob

Or he could genuinely be injured. He was holding his groin for large periods.

And if he had "bottled" it I wouldn't blame him. That's an unbelievable amount of pressure which would be impossible to replicate. I for one wouldn't be getting on his back for it if nerves had got the better of him.

I cant say for sure what happened in your or anybody elses country.

Can only go on what was rolled out to my countries senior guys at the time

Or he could genuinely be injured. He was holding his groin for large periods.

And if he had "bottled" it I wouldn't blame him. That's an unbelievable amount of pressure which would be impossible to replicate. I for one wouldn't be getting on his back for it if nerves had got the better of him.

I would he let a holding midfielder take it for him.

You soon know who’s got your back in the trenches.

So you rather a nervous Vardy stepped up than Dier?

His name was down & then he realised through the pain he coudnt take it so Dier stepped up.

Make of it what u want I couldn’t give a feck tbh, but yes I’d rather a striker that takes pens for Leicester step up over a holding midfielder.

I’d hobble on one leg & crutches to take a pen for my country, anyway it’s done now you’ve made it clear that your with Vardy as you’d be looking to be substituted with 5 mins to go.

Remind me if the going ever gets tough not to give you a call Ciley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back