A&H

England v Cameroon WWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but laugh at this post. Ever since VAR was introduced, without a doubt the most common complaint both on here and in the media has been not showing the people in the stadium what happened. To see someone suggest they shouldn't should it is pretty comical.
I presume that whole farce could’ve been avoided if it wasn’t screened. I think it’ll escalate certain situations where it’s very close, especially when tempers are already high

The Referee Store
For me it is the instruction to keep offside flags down that is causing problems. I totally get it if the decision is close, but they are keeping it down when the attacker is a long was off, and there was one in this game where the Cameroon striker wasn't just a long way off but she was also stood still, so a very simple call to make. For the first VAR review Ellen White was nowhere near being offside, and I can't help thinking had the assistant not flagged once the goal was scored there would have been much less reaction. It would have been checked anyway so no need for the flag.

Something is very wrong at the moment with the VAR is being used. We didn't have anywhere near this level of controversy in the men's WC, so it has to be down to one of official's skills, lack of training / familiarity, or poor advise on usage by FIFA.

Anyone else not agree with showing VAR on the screens?? Makes the penalised team feel like they’re being ‘cheated’ on very close decisions
Why? Although close, both were 100% correct. The only problem is that the images they display on the stadium screen reportedly don't show the red and blue lines proving the decision is correct. If they could fix that and include the lines, that would definitely help.

I was about to give the ref credit for dealing with a really crazy match. I think she handled the protests and VAR things really well.

But then the last three minutes happened.

That was outright thuggery, an attempt to injure a player, red yesteryear, red tomorrow... terrible refereeing 😢

Is this the worst refereeing display of the tournament?

Neither the referee or VAR have come out of this looking good.

The two offside calls were correct, but the referee didn't deal with the Cameroon players, should have been at least one caution for them at the end of the first half.

Missed a red card in the first 10 minutes

Bottled an obvious penalty after VAR on field review.

Bottled another red card in the dying moments of the game.

Why? Although close, both were 100% correct. The only problem is that the images they display on the stadium screen reportedly don't show the red and blue lines proving the decision is correct. If they could fix that and include the lines, that would definitely help.
That’s what I really mean. If they aren’t showing the lines, what’s the point? All for it if they do, but without lines it’s ridiculous

Is this the worst refereeing display of the tournament?

Neither the referee or VAR have come out of this looking good.

The two offside calls were correct, but the referee didn't deal with the Cameroon players, should have been at least one caution for them at the end of the first half.

Missed a red card in the first 10 minutes

Bottled an obvious penalty after VAR on field review.

Bottled another red card in the dying moments of the game.
No question. We all have criticisms of referees in each game throughout a league season, major tournament etc but I’d struggle to name an overall performance lacking control and consistency as much as that one.

That’s what I really mean. If they aren’t showing the lines, what’s the point? All for it if they do, but without lines it’s ridiculous
Well, I would think that's an easy one to fix. Although to be honest I thought they were both relatively clear even without the lines.

Thing i dont get about VAR and im talking just on off side here, when it goes upstairs to VAR its 100% the correct decision thats at the end of it, its either on or off, not someones opinion its a fact so dont get all the arguments.

Thing i dont get about VAR and im talking just on off side here, when it goes upstairs to VAR its 100% the correct decision thats at the end of it, its either on or off, not someones opinion its a fact so dont get all the arguments.
There is still some opinion calls and some cases where OFR might be needed for detecti g offside offences

Lets upset players for the right reasons and not the wrong ones, I haven't seen the two other RC offences so can't comment but for a qualified ref and VAR to view what we all saw at the end and go yellow is simply scandalous...They should all be sent home in embarrassment that they had 3 chances to do the right thing, the ref missed it in normal play, the VAR saw it and then between them they concocted another fail in not doing the right thing AND not booking the irate player poking her finger in the injured players and the referees face...shocking!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back