A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 9 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
The Referee Store
I'm afraid this one isn't up to your usual high standard. Q1 - I don't think referees are required to convert metres to yards and we all use yards in the UK. Q3 - I have no idea what the description is trying to say. The second player pretends to take the ball and dribble with it? With the pretend ball or the actual ball? He "kicks swings the ball" ?? What does 'kicks swings" mean? Is this the real ball now?

I'm afraid this one isn't up to your usual high standard. Q1 - I don't think referees are required to convert metres to yards and we all use yards in the UK.
The laws are written using metres, so you don't need to convert anything to answer the question, and the UK is certainly not unanimous in using traditional units, so this is not an issue with the question.
Q3 - I have no idea what the description is trying to say. The second player pretends to take the ball and dribble with it? With the pretend ball or the actual ball? He "kicks swings the ball" ?? What does 'kicks swings" mean? Is this the real ball now?
The intent of the description was clear enough. Somebody makes the ball move, someone else plays it, and then someone makes it end up in the goal.

The laws are written using metres, so you don't need to convert anything to answer the question,

Sort of. The Laws are written in yards, but have official conversions to meters. The exception is the new DB restriction, which is written in meters and converted to yards. Why is that one done the other direction. Well, it’s IFAB—we don’t try to figure out why...

Sort of. The Laws are written in yards, but have official conversions to meters. The exception is the new DB restriction, which is written in meters and converted to yards. Why is that one done the other direction. Well, it’s IFAB—we don’t try to figure out why...
The laws all have statements with a distance in metres, with the yards equivalent in brackets. I'd call that "written in metres with a traditional conversion for convenience", not "written in yards ...".

The laws all have statements with a distance in metres, with the yards equivalent in brackets. I'd call that "written in metres with a traditional conversion for convenience", not "written in yards ...".

I will confess that I had lost that they flipped the yards and meters in the recent rewrite. But let’s not pretend that 9.15 meters was what they decided upon and that happens to be 10 yards. Until the 4 meters, all dimensions were set out in the English system and converted to metric. The fact they now list the metric first (which I suppose makes sense as it is the dominant world system of measurement) doesn’t change the fact that (except for the new DB distance) all the distances in the LOTG are English measurements converted to metric.

Back