A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 3 Laws of the Game Quiz 2023-2024

Week 3 Laws of the Game Quiz 2023-2024. A new quiz season has started. Every Tuesday a new quiz. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Starting at […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Speed on the attacker vs speed of the covering defenders, hard from the angle to tell how far ahead he is tbf but it looks like he will be caught easily
Is that a consideration?
Why are the defenders moving quicker? Because of the foul, or are they just faster?

Is that a consideration?
Why are the defenders moving quicker? Because of the foul, or are they just faster?
They're up and running before his turn so even without the foul I think they're covering, I'd consider it in the covering defenders consideration.

I also wouldn't expect a VAR to overrule a red or a yellow here.

I am more interested in Q3. Can you play advantage once an extra ball has interfered with play, regardless of how that extra ball interference occurred?

They're up and running before his turn so even without the foul I think they're covering, I'd consider it in the covering defenders consideration.

I also wouldn't expect a VAR to overrule a red or a yellow here.
Screenshot_20231010-132710.png

Covering defenders? Is that a consideration?

"Location and number of defenders"

For me, in the picture above, it is clear they are behind the ball and there is a clear path to goal, so that criteria for DOGSO is a tick for me.

I am more interested in Q3. Can you play advantage once an extra ball has interfered with play, regardless of how that extra ball interference occurred?
Depends... I don't think it is regardless but law allows for a goal to be the correct outcome in some circumstances

"an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the
match, the referee must:

stop play (and restart with a dropped ball) only if it interferes with play
– unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not
prevent a defending player playing the ball; the goal is awarded if the
ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the
interference was by the attacking team"

Depends... I don't think it is regardless but law allows for a goal to be the correct outcome in some circumstances

match, the referee must:

I don’t think you need that section once you conclude that it was an offense on the GK. I think that makes it a DFK offense under Law 12 and standard advantage is what matters.

(But as I pictured this event, I didn’t see it as a throwing at the ball offense, but as an inadvertent event that would be a DB.)

I don’t think you need that section once you conclude that it was an offense on the GK. I think that makes it a DFK offense under Law 12 and standard advantage is what matters.

(But as I pictured this event, I didn’t see it as a throwing at the ball offense, but as an inadvertent event that would be a DB.)
I'm sure you mean offence by the GK?

But that's a good point about it being a law 12 offence, rather than outside interference.

match, the referee must:

I think the assumption for Q3 is that the ball was not already going into goal. This would be with the description provided. That for me makes this a stop play action and go back to the DFK.

Not sure I agree with you here. You can play advantage on an offence but once interference has occured, ply must stop (unless ball was going in goal anyway).

For me the correct answer for Q3 is a penalty kick.

This can't be dropped ball though. Once the keeper has brought the ball in, at the very least it is a caution and IDFK.

Yes and it's about their ability to defend, rather than an arbitrary defender between goal and foul.

But I agree that angle you've posted makes the distance clearer, easy DOGSO red
I'd kind of disagree with that on the basis that if you moved one defender ahead of the ball, we'd all be saying easy, no DOGSO, but if you moved him ahead of the ball and out on the right wing, we'd be back to easy DOGSO again.

So for me the thinking is: "is there a clear path to the goal." Literally 1 defender in between ball and goal here changes the whole outlook.

The speed of which players move/moving at is much too difficult to use as considerations because you would then need to know the physical attributes of each player to make that judgment, especially difficult when all players are moving in the same direction.

Keep it simple... 3 Ds, and C. Distance, Direction, Defenders, Control.

I'd kind of disagree with that on the basis that if you moved one defender ahead of the ball, we'd all be saying easy, no DOGSO, but if you moved him ahead of the ball and out on the right wing, we'd be back to easy DOGSO again.

So for me the thinking is: "is there a clear path to the goal." Literally 1 defender in between ball and goal here changes the whole outlook.

The speed of which players move/moving at is much too difficult to use as considerations because you would then need to know the physical attributes of each player to make that judgment, especially difficult when all players are moving in the same direction.

Keep it simple... 3 Ds, and C. Distance, Direction, Defenders, Control.
I am guilty of an overthink, will focus on simple!

Not sure I agree with you here. You can play advantage on an offence but once interference has occured, ply must stop (unless ball was going in goal anyway).

For me the correct answer for Q3 is a penalty kick.

This can't be dropped ball though. Once the keeper has brought the ball in, at the very least it is a caution and IDFK.
I would say that if it is an offense by the GK, then it isn’t outside interference and advantage, goal.

if it is an offense by the GK, I don’t see how it is anything but a DFK offense. Either he is guilty of using the ball (PK), or he is innocent and it is outside interference and a DB. (When I read the scenario, I was picturing the GK signaling to get a ball to the ball boy, the ball boy throeing him the ball, which deflects off the GK’s hands And hits the game ball. I think that would be simple outside interference and a DB.)

Think I agree with @socal lurker al Lurker, a ball, or any other object thrown by a player is an offence.

Advantage can be applied when an offence occurs and there is a benefit to the attacking team.

I think, as I did, @one is looking at the outside interference section in law 5, which, is obviously contradictory to law 12, but strict application of law 5 would mean that a dropped ball is the only outcome possible.

Therefore I think law 12 takes precedence, as it clearly talks about when a player throws an object, including the match ball, being an offence.

View attachment 6886

Covering defenders? Is that a consideration?

"Location and number of defenders"

For me, in the picture above, it is clear they are behind the ball and there is a clear path to goal, so that criteria for DOGSO is a tick for me.
Distance from goal combined with location and number of defenders creates enough doubt for me to accept YC or RC. In the opinion of the referee.

IMHO the attacker doesn’t get an easy shot off before being challenged by one or both defenders.

I’d still like to think I’d give a red. But match context also a factor…

Back