A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 14 Laws of the Game Quiz 2020-2021

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
The Referee Store
Q1 you really have to guess what "slides in" means. Now this question is missing a critical bit of information. :)

Given that the question never mentions the other attacker touching the ball at all, I reckon the question works just fine as it's written ... :)

Given that the question never mentions the other attacker touching the ball at all, I reckon the question works just fine as it's written ... :)

I think it's fair to assume that the ball was played into the area by a Dortmund player while Halaand is offside so the question of whether the defender 'sliding in' made contact with the ball is important. Unless I've totally misunderstood.

Question 2 had me me worried for the game😬😂 Got it though. Question 5 just doesn’t feel fair if the opposing team are attacking. Got that wrong.

Question 2 had me me worried for the game😬😂 Got it though. Question 5 just doesn’t feel fair if the opposing team are attacking. Got that wrong.
As I recall, Indirect if a Player leaves FOP to have a pop at own team. Direct if it's the opposition
Utterly unnecessary complexity. Only there for LOTG tests
Might explain why the dugouts are not behind the goals! Who cares if it's a DFK or IDFK from halfway 😁

It's the third time Q5 has been in a quizz. And each time it doesn't specifically say at team mate. It says sub on own bench. Just a round about way of saying it and can be misinterpreted.

I think it's fair to assume that the ball was played into the area by a Dortmund player while Halaand is offside so the question of whether the defender 'sliding in' made contact with the ball is important. Unless I've totally misunderstood.
It doesn't specify the ball is played by the defender, but it does specify it isn't specifically played to Haaland by the attacker. So that leaves us with 2 options: neither player made an additional contact with the ball and it simply rolled on to Haaland with the last touch being part of the attackers dribble that overran all the way to a teammate or the defender's slide is what knocked the ball to Haaland. The latter is far more likely in real-world terms, but I definitely see the ambiguity that is technically there. FWIW, I went with the right answer because I just assumed "slides in" = "played the ball", which is a logical assumption that isn't in the question as written.

However as Big Cat says, Q5 is the one that got me! For clarity, a DFK would have been the correct restart if the offence had occurred on the pitch or if the same offence had occurred off the pitch but was directed at an opponent? However for some reason, there's a weird IFK exception if it's two teammates and they're off the pitch? Presumably, in reality, I would also have the option of applying advantage if the opposing team had the ball and were about to score? Otherwise you open the possibility of "tactical infighting" to stop promising attacks by having unusued subs get themselves sent off and bringing play back to the half way line!

two teammates
Yet another assumption. The question doesn't actually say the player is a teammate. While it is logical to assume a subbed player on your bench is your teammate, you can also assume you are likely (well not you you) to get into a fight with an opponent subbed player who has got on your bench (because he has got on YOUR bench).

On Q1, another way it can be interpreted, slide in is often used for a foul. Had there been a penalty option in the answer, I would have given it even odds on the question testing your knowlege on a foul happening before an offside offence. IFK which is an option can be a correct answer if the slider does not touch the ball but and has PIADM.

Yet another assumption. The question doesn't actually say the player is a teammate. While it is logical to assume a subbed player on your bench is your teammate, you can also assume you are likely (well not you you) to get into a fight with an opponent subbed player who has got on your bench (because he has got on YOUR bench).

On Q1, another way it can be interpreted, slide in is often used for a foul. Had there been a penalty option in the answer, I would have given it even odds on the question testing your knowlege on a foul happening before an offside offence. IFK which is an option can be a correct answer if the slider does not touch the ball but and has PIADM.
Fair point - the "correct" answer certainly assumes they are teammates, so I was just going along with that for the sake of clarifying the possible situations. I will admit to not knowing that specific set of circumstances resulted in an exception, hence why I got that question wrong for answering DFK on the touchline

Back