A&H

Doh !!

No surprises refereeing with video cameras all over the place?

No surprises until it is replayed in slow motion a million times, freeze frames in all its glory, highlighting your lack of testicular fortitude :D

The Referee Store
Both sets of players think its out though. One wants a GK and the other a corner. That's the decision which needs to be made.
Goes back to the role of the referee when it was first introduced, to arbitrate on game incidents, hence the name arbitro used in Spain and Portugal.

No surprises until it is replayed in slow motion a million times, freeze frames in all its glory, highlighting your lack of testicular fortitude :D
Or poor eye sight that couldn't see the millimetre of the ball still overhanging the goal line.

It's still a suprise.

I'm genuinely struggling with how if the ball isn't out (in your opinion - the actual case not to be included in this but a fresh situation) you should take the easier (but wrong) option!

Please ignore the OP example and take it on another hypothetical example!

From the angle shown it looks out..... from the linesman's angle who knows.... the referee would not be able to call it.... so he has to go with the linesman....

From the angle shown it looks out..... from the linesman's angle who knows.... the referee would not be able to call it.... so he has to go with the linesman....
And the assistant is watching very carefully, the ball has stopped and he has not signalled that the ball is out of play so he has effectively signalled that it is still in play. He can't credibly indicate GK/Corner if he has not even given ball out of play. Maybe at the level that most of us referee and with CARs you would just give the re-start but on a televised match?

Totally with Capn, Mctavish and SM on this one. Ball clearly not out, player was an idiot.. we should be celebrating a great piece of officiating rather than even debating it!

And incidentally, even if player thought it had gone out, it was a corner so he had no business picking it up anyway!

If you haven't signalled for a corner before he picks it up then you just look both clueless and spjneless if you do so after

You're missing mine. If you think that ball is in then you're not wrong to put your flag up. It's your job

And this is why 'no surprises' is such a dangerous road to go down. Only person to see a clear penalty? Ooh can't give that, players would be surprised. Throw in taken with part of both feet on the fop? Better give as a foul throw as otherwise players would be surprised. Keeper obviously making a mark on the ground in the warm up? Cant caution for that, too much of a surprise ...

Far far simpler IMO just to (sympathetically and empathetically) referee to the lotg and not try to second guess what players, coaches and spdctstors will 'tolerate'

All referee's have integrity.

But in this situation you have more to lose then you have to gain.

If the thing you're talking about when you say you have more to lose is integrity, then yes, you're right.

In/out is a black and white decision. If you're standing there thinking 'well, I know the ball is in therefore a blatant foul has occurred, but I just cant be bothered / don't have the courage / don't want to deal with making the right decision so I'll just lie and say it was out', then that's not showing integrity at all. Acting in a prejudiced manner isn't the only way an official loses integrity.

'Seeing too much'? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. This isn't about going out of your way to make up an offence when one hasn't really occurred, which is what 'seeing too much' would actually refer to.

by that logic, I shudder to think of what other blatant offences you've let go because you could get away with it. Very, very dangerous path, and not what refereeing is supposed to be about.

And this is why 'no surprises' is such a dangerous road to go down. Only person to see a clear penalty? Ooh can't give that, players would be surprised. Throw in taken with part of both feet on the fop? Better give as a foul throw as otherwise players would be surprised. Keeper obviously making a mark on the ground in the warm up? Cant caution for that, too much of a surprise ...

Far far simpler IMO just to (sympathetically and empathetically) referee to the lotg and not try to second guess what players, coaches and spdctstors will 'tolerate'
You can have part of both feet on the fop, as long as both feet are on or behind the line. Keeper making a mark, caution him. Sympathetically and empathetically referee to the LOTG, that is the epitome of no surprises refereeing.

Situation from my game yesterday. Ball played through, attacker and keeper in close proximity. Attacker plays the ball, keeper (from less than 2 feet away) swipes hands downwards towards the ball. His hands make contact with the ball causing it to go for a corner kick but they continue their arc and he strikes the attacker in the face with both hands. What are you going to do? He has struck a player in the face, he must be sent off surely?

Wrong! His action was instinctive/careless, not reckless nor using excessive force. The only problem was during my brief word to him while the attacker rubbed his eyes, the keeper got a bit shouty, so got cautioned for dissent.

No surprises refereeing: (1) keeper is allowed twice as long as the law allows to clear the ball, and (2) is allowed to parry the ball (as distinct from a save) then touch it again...

Back