A&H

Doh !!

The Referee Store
(spotters badge for anyone who spots an error made by an official in the video!)

Referee signals for a defending throw while assistant flags for an attacking. Wheres my badge??

Should the AR really be running back across the FOP after the penalty, particularly with his back to play?

Had pretty much same thing happen to me in an u11s 9v9 match a couple of years ago, one of those did that really just happen moments.

I was standing around the penalty spot, ball slowly rolling out of play. Defender was "seeing it out" under no pressure from an attacker and then picks it up as soon as it hit the line. Immediately thought "that hasn't gone out", looked across at the club assistant who's stood there shaking his head. Blew for the penalty, defender then pipes up "but the ball was out ref", "No it didn't, the whole of the ball must cross the whole of the line", cue mass heads in hands and defender looking like he wanted a hole to open up and swallow him!

Seems this incident has caused quite a "debate" of fb, with so many clueless idiots ripping into the officials for a "terrible decision".

"There's daylight, so it must be out" blah blah blah. One comedian claimed to be a referee and said he would restart with......A DROP BALL!!! :eek:

From the pictures this seems to have been a VERY, VERY tight call from the assistant referee. Different if it's half over the line but we're talking about millimetres here rather than inches. I'm not sure that the human eye is that perceptible when distances and movement are considered. Honestly, if this happened to me (in a real time scenario) then I'd struggle to argue that the ball was definitely still in play and I'd give the goal kick. What would you do?

From the pictures this seems to have been a VERY, VERY tight call from the assistant referee. Different if it's half over the line but we're talking about millimetres here rather than inches. I'm not sure that the human eye is that perceptible when distances and movement are considered. Honestly, if this happened to me (in a real time scenario) then I'd struggle to argue that the ball was definitely still in play and I'd give the goal kick. What would you do?

Well it game of the defender last so it would be a corner.

If the GK/Corner was given we wouldn't of seen the video. But it is the correct decision by the assistant and at that level with all the camera's they live and die by making the correct decision. If there was clear video evidence to show that the ball was out of play then the assistant would be looking at a low mark as it's a KMD.

At contrib, supply, football league with one camera on the gantry no one will know other than the assistant whether the ball was in play or not, and I'd be confident in saying some will go for the easiest option to sell.

Yes agree, its a lot easier to referee in front a computer/tv screen - I'm with you, THAT close in real life I'm giving a corner.

If I'm certain in my own mind it's still in, I'm giving a loud shout of still in, so that if he does go to pick it up others have heard me warn him.

Not a big fan of going for the easy to sell option, I'd rather know I was right.....or at least gave what I thought to be right!

Disappointed to see people saying they'd go for the easy option. If you're bottling making a hypothetical decision then what hope do we have!

Disappointed to see people saying they'd go for the easy option.

But what is the easy option? Award a corner because it's less controversial than the penalty? Award the penalty because the ball is still in play? Or watch the clip over and over again and then decide the ball was/wasn't out of play? As you have said .... give what you think is right. Had I been the assistant referee I suspect I would have honestly judged it as being out of play but it is a VERY, VERY tight call.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting people's responses but I'm saying that people saying that if it happened in their game they'd give a corner because it's an easy sell.

If you think it's in its a penalty.....SIMPLES!

Maybe I'm misinterpreting people's responses but I'm saying that people saying that if it happened in their game they'd give a corner because it's an easy sell.

If you think it's in its a penalty.....SIMPLES!

Both sets of players think its out though. One wants a GK and the other a corner. That's the decision which needs to be made.

Back