A&H

Does anybody else love the (sometimes) thrill?

They don't really prepare you to Referee when you do the initial course
They don't put you in touch with suitable Referee Secretaries, they don't really prepare you for the harsh reality of the game (not sure they can however TBH) and they don't emphasize the requirement to report all misconduct (at least they didn't on my course). I was left to just fend for myself and struggled to get a response from RefSecs and find games initially
So, if you're newly qualified and merely unaware of the importance of submitting cautions/dismissals, I wouldn't blame you too much... especially as I can quite believe other Refs in your League are negligent in this respect

Anyway, as a new member on the Forum, we probably won't hear from you again, which is a shame
Course update good news, Big Cat - the revised course now includes guidance on issuing cautions and dismissals, reporting misconduct, the requirement to report every time within 48 hours, a link to the current FA Reporting Misconduct material, and an introduction to local Appointment Secretaries (initially to get the five games to complete the learners' qualification) so no-one has any excuse for not reporting properly and on time.
County FA's also work together to introduce University attendees moving from one county to another (if the referee informs their home CFA)

The Referee Store
Pretty sure no one has sent in every card they’ve given out. Although this is violent conduct so should definitely be sent in.

Pretty sure no one has sent in every card they’ve given out. Although this is violent conduct so should definitely be sent in.
Pretty sure virtually everyone on the Forum has done so. I may have one Friendly in the early days after which I plain forgot and maybe one other tournament style game in which the teams weren't registered etc.
Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed with my initial course when I did it. Good that they've updated it. I found the first few months as a Ref disappointing

Failure to send in a report is now likely to result in a call from the County FA, following a number of system improvements.
And yes, I have sent in every report over my many years as a referee.

As a referee am asked to turn up, officiate to the best of my ability, do my admin

Negating any of these steps is non negotiable.

On second thought I should have maybe said the majority of referees outside of the promotion scheme and outside on this and other such forums. Which is still probably the majority of refs but I dunno

I have, thousands of them. Including back to the days when they had to be hand written, including descriptions of cautions and send offs, and duplicated using carbon paper.

It is so easy these days, there never has been an excuse not to send them in and there most certainly isn't now. If you don't and your CFA finds out then you will inevitably face a charge and suspension.

Also think if your reffing juniors then that could make a difference. I ref U14-16 and I only send in S1-3 and 6

Yep it probably shouldn’t but it does for me. Partly because it’s not them being fined but their parents.

of absolutely no concern to a match official.

Rather than internet randoms, if your area has an association sec, give them a call and say, " i will pick and choose which sanctions i submit to the league', and let them decide what course of action to take,

that way, you, the individual, are getting the correct advise personally from the people who matter.

Yep it probably shouldn’t but it does for me. Partly because it’s not them being fined but their parents.

No it shouldn't. If you are willing to show the cards carry out your duty and submit them, it takes two minutes.

Also think if your reffing juniors then that could make a difference. I ref U14-16 and I only send in S1-3 and 6
I only referee youth football at the moment... all cards go in. Partly because that's what I've been told "should" happen and also because the league say we should and fundamentally we get paid to do a job.

You are talking to the wrong audience here. All the members on here, by virtue of being here, care about their refereeing a lot more than the average Joe out there. I do agree though, out in the real world a lot of cards go unreported. Not so much for the OP reason but more so due to laziness and convenience. They just want to do the reffing, get their money and forget about it. I have dealt with many of them.

In most my leagues these are the only ones which need a written report (from R and both ARs). But every card has to be recorded in the teamsheet that goes to the league. And that is also an official report.

Here is my two cents worth of the OP.
@forrestforever my guess is that you are a relatively new referee but care about your refereeing. That's why you are here. You had an interesting game and came on here to share your experience with the rest of us and thanks for doing that. You thought you had a pretty good game and from our view point we think so too bar one part. We think this is a very big mistake. My take is you thought it was trivial but now accepted our view and it is big of you to do so. From other posts I take it you have tried to obfuscate your identity. I'd like to look at this in a positive way. You have realised it is a big mistake (and you are rectifying it), you care about your refereeing and don't want this to damage your reputation. I can understand that. The reaction here has been pretty harsh and rightly so. Here is my advice

- Sort out the reporting mess
- Learn from this experience
- Forget about your current account on this forum
- Create a new account and do comeback, contribute and get advice

The community here can sometimes be harsh but for the most part provide good advice. This forum is an invaluable free tool for any referee. Make use of it, and sometimes cop the criticism on the chin.

Last edited:
Back