A&H

Does anybody else love the (sometimes) thrill?

The Referee Store
Both managers asked me not to put the cards in and I agreed
😲 Don't do this!!! He punched someone - he has to learn that there are consequences to his actions! Especially at Under 18...
That aside, it is your role to put the cards through and you could get into trouble if you don't. Additionally, the managers should be reported for even asking you not to put the cards through!

Well done on your handling of the match, don't spoil it afterwards!

Yesterday I had a lads U18 game, 1 team (greens) came with 10 players, the other team (reds) had 14 so already had a feeling the greens would get frustrated. Started off a good game, within 30 mins the greens conceded a penalty, no complaints he just clipped him and apoligised straight away but then at half time the reds were winning 4-0.
2nd half 10-15 mins in theres a rouge tackle, I blow for a foul and queue the 20 man brawl on the pitch. I observe see pushing and shoving as normal, I saw a punch thrown, the managers seperate the players everything stops, I ask the manager which player he seperated/threw the punch as he will be gone, manager had no problem with this and I sent the green player off. He argued that it has to be the same treatment for the reds, I yellowed 2 red playersfor essentially excessive pushing, they did not push in the face or anything like that,a little aggressive but essentially the green player just reacted badly by punching someone. Both managers happy with this decision the game contiues with the green team down to 9, 30 mins to go.
10 mins later another rogue tackle, nothing exciting but a foul none the less. Here come the handbags again, this time no bookings as it was a smaller gathering and maybe a few tiny pushes, I simply tell the lads if the game continues likes this we wont end up finishing it,I simply tell them to stop fu**ing about and play football. Rest of the game was chilled after that! Ended up 5-1 to the reds. All the players wanted to shake me hand, the lad I sent off even come over. Both managers asked me not to put the cards in and I agreed. Both managers and both linos highlighted how I kept control of the game. Walking back to the car 2 different people mentioned how well I controlled it. Got back in my car buzzing.
Well done on how you handled the situation 'live', but you MUST submit those cards. It is your responsibility to deal with misconduct at the time (which you did) and then submit that to the FA so that the appropriate sanctions can be applied.

What happens when a newly qualified referee turns up next week and says he's putting his cards in? That referee gets a volley of abuse because "last week's ref" (i.e. you) didn't do his job. Don't be that person.

Yesterday I had a lads U18 game, 1 team (greens) came with 10 players, the other team (reds) had 14 so already had a feeling the greens would get frustrated. Started off a good game, within 30 mins the greens conceded a penalty, no complaints he just clipped him and apoligised straight away but then at half time the reds were winning 4-0.
2nd half 10-15 mins in theres a rouge tackle, I blow for a foul and queue the 20 man brawl on the pitch. I observe see pushing and shoving as normal, I saw a punch thrown, the managers seperate the players everything stops, I ask the manager which player he seperated/threw the punch as he will be gone, manager had no problem with this and I sent the green player off. He argued that it has to be the same treatment for the reds, I yellowed 2 red playersfor essentially excessive pushing, they did not push in the face or anything like that,a little aggressive but essentially the green player just reacted badly by punching someone. Both managers happy with this decision the game contiues with the green team down to 9, 30 mins to go.
10 mins later another rogue tackle, nothing exciting but a foul none the less. Here come the handbags again, this time no bookings as it was a smaller gathering and maybe a few tiny pushes, I simply tell the lads if the game continues likes this we wont end up finishing it,I simply tell them to stop fu**ing about and play football. Rest of the game was chilled after that! Ended up 5-1 to the reds. All the players wanted to shake me hand, the lad I sent off even come over. Both managers asked me not to put the cards in and I agreed. Both managers and both linos highlighted how I kept control of the game. Walking back to the car 2 different people mentioned how well I controlled it. Got back in my car buzzing.
Why would you agree not to put the cards through?
1) the player does not learn a consequence of their action
2) you are putting yourself on a sticky wicket (fined and suspended from all football) for doing a favour for, basically, strangers. If you know them, it's even worse.
3) you're doing your colleagues a dis-service and being "last weeks ref" when next weeks ref does his job properly and submits the relevant misconduct.

Took me 30 seconds to find out which match this was!
Always send the cards in.

If this is the case, the correct thing to do is advise the league and local referee asociation of the match referees intention not to submit the sanctions.

by not submitting the paperwork after taking a match fee, one has obtained the payment under false pretence and has not carried out the obligated duties as a match referee and deserves to answer to a panel.

well this isn't my normal league its my league in notts whilst at uni and its the first game ive reffed up here in this age group and speaking to other refs seems normal practice up here. Im not registered with the league because i dont want to ref up here as go home most weekends and im just a stand in ref but i have asked for the number for whoever assigns the game to give them the details. Thanks for your inputs

well this isn't my normal league its my league in notts whilst at uni and its the first game ive reffed up here in this age group and speaking to other refs seems normal practice up here. Im not registered with the league because i dont want to ref up here as go home most weekends and im just a stand in ref but i have asked for the number for whoever assigns the game to give them the details. Thanks for your inputs
Nice try at covering your tracks, change of username.
All Due respect if that's how you are treating your admin you are a long long way off being a level 2 referee.
Standard practise? Absolutely not... Nowhere is it normal practise not to do basic admin!!

This sounds like a complete wind-up. Any Level 2 referee won't be officiating at the level you're talking about - and probably won't be at University. Now you're also saying you're not registered with the league!

If you are a referee, stop and think about what you're doing here - if for no other reason than if others find out about this you'll be banned from officiating anyway.

If this is the case, the correct thing to do is advise the league and local referee asociation of the match referees intention not to submit the sanctions.

by not submitting the paperwork after taking a match fee, one has obtained the payment under false pretence and has not carried out the obligated duties as a match referee and deserves to answer to a panel.

I was on the fence and giving the OP the chance to change her ways first but the subsequent deceit has changed my view.

I was on the fence and giving the OP to change her ways first but the subsequent deceit has changed my view.

Absolutely, we will all make mistakes, on and off the park but to publically state they will neglect their duty just drags us all down to the gutter.

who is neglecting? ive asked for the details of the leage to report to fix the errors. please dont asume my gender though

who is neglecting? ive asked for the details of the leage to report to fix the errors. please dont asume my gender though
They don't really prepare you to Referee when you do the initial course
They don't put you in touch with suitable Referee Secretaries, they don't really prepare you for the harsh reality of the game (not sure they can however TBH) and they don't emphasize the requirement to report all misconduct (at least they didn't on my course). I was left to just fend for myself and struggled to get a response from RefSecs and find games initially
So, if you're newly qualified and merely unaware of the importance of submitting cautions/dismissals, I wouldn't blame you too much... especially as I can quite believe other Refs in your League are negligent in this respect

Anyway, as a new member on the Forum, we probably won't hear from you again, which is a shame

They don't put you in touch with suitable Referee Secretaries, they don't really prepare you for the harsh reality of the game (not sure they can however TBH) and they don't emphasize the requirement to report all misconduct (at least they didn't on my course). I was left to just fend for myself and struggled to get a response from RefSecs and find games initially
So, if you're newly qualified and merely unaware of the importance of submitting cautions/dismissals, I wouldn't blame you too much... especially as I can quite believe other Refs in your League are negligent in this respect

Anyway, as a new member on the Forum, we probably won't hear from you again, which is a shame
Must be a local matter because it was drummed in to us when I qualified and at every promotion since it has been presented as a barrier to promotion.

I do hear what you're saying - and I say that even though I'm sceptical about this just because it presses all the right buttons. Nonetheless, even if what you say is all true you have to bend understanding of the role to the point of breaking if you don't report misconduct. For instance that was certainly a fundamental of the course when I helped deliver it 4-5 years ago (I did a whole session on using Wholegame).

I do also think that if the OP does reflect on this reaction and work to rectify the error that is a good use of the Forum - even if the tone is harsh.

Which is why I wouldn't have been minded to report it, until the OP changed their username and started lying.

Anyway there's still time to report the misconduct.

Back