A&H

Does anybody else love the (sometimes) thrill?

OP has the same home team on Sunday. Clubs won't hesitate to use not putting them in the previous week against you if it suits them, the players may also be less inclined to behave.

The Referee Store
Also think if your reffing juniors then that could make a difference. I ref U14-16 and I only send in S1-3 and 6
I refereed an U12 game I’ve talked about on here I fair few times. A minute left, a player goes through an opposition player that they’d been warring with all match. It wasn’t a definite yellow, but I wouldn’t have blamed a ref for pulling out the card. I go for a public warning, to which his father (I presume) tells the kid to ignore the ref and keep getting stuck in. Less than 20 seconds later, he makes a late challenge on the same player, taking his Dads advice. He takes the yellow, and after receiving it, winks at his Dad and gives him a thumbs up and cheeky smile, with the Dad congratulating him on getting “stuck in.”

This is 2 years younger than the age group you’re going on. By not reporting cautions, this kid is just going to keep repeating that behaviour. That Dads not expecting a £10 fine, the kids not expecting a £10 fine. A yellow card in the last minute; no consequences they think, the ref won’t submit it. And then next weeks kid gets snapped and so on. I don’t lose any sleep that the parent is going to have to pay that fine. There’s a part of me that perhaps takes some sadistic pleasure when the parent was informed that their actions have consequences when they learnt they’d have to pay a fine.

Please. Report. Cautions.

I have submitted all my cards and reports. It was taught on day 1 of classes. Every year, the cards and reports are taught. I have a great referee training group.

I know refs that dont want to give cards because the reports, to them, are a hassle.

I had the pleasure of being one of their ARs for a playoff match and they issued a bunch of cards.

You can choose not to use them, but sometimes the players work extra hard to earn them.

As an Australian referee can I just ask what UK refs need to do for cautions? Do you need to write up a report for each, or just indicate it has been given? Here in Western Australia we just enter online the game result, plus goalscorers (with times). For cautions we indicate time and basic reason (USB, Delay Restart, Persistent etc. I have never heard of all these other codes s-1 etc you talk about). We only have to submit an online report for a red card offence. I don't think we fine anyone for a caution, just give a ban if they tot up too many (although tbh it's not something I really concern myself with).

S1 trough S7 in UK are equivalent to R1 to R7 in Aus. Similar to C codes vs Y codes. UK also has a sub code for USB. I know some football associations in Aus also have subcode for some Y and R codes. I used to have subcodes for sanctions like OFINABUS depending on whom it was against (match official, opponent, others).

There are fines in Aus also but most don't know about them because the convention here is that the clubs pay for it without players being informed.

As an Australian referee can I just ask what UK refs need to do for cautions? Do you need to write up a report for each, or just indicate it has been given? Here in Western Australia we just enter online the game result, plus goalscorers (with times). For cautions we indicate time and basic reason (USB, Delay Restart, Persistent etc. I have never heard of all these other codes s-1 etc you talk about). We only have to submit an online report for a red card offence. I don't think we fine anyone for a caution, just give a ban if they tot up too many (although tbh it's not something I really concern myself with).
It is so easy now, uses a system called Whole Game System (granted that is a little flaky but I won't go there). You enter the game by choosing the competition which then gives you drop down options for home and away teams. Once that is done you enter each caution by selecting the player from a drop down list and the caution code. Same for red cards now as well, you only have to type anything for extraordinary incidents.

what UK refs need to do for cautions? Do you need to write up a report for each, or just indicate it has been given?

For Wales, it's all online through COMET thesedays. Teamsheets are entered by the clubs and submitted before the game (30 mins before usually), and the referee assigned has full control over all aspects of the teamsheets from that point on until they sign it off - whereupon they lose all admin rights.

So, you just click on the player in the teamsheet and 'add event' - caution/red, select the code and time and that is literally all you have to do. Even the ref's who aren't good with keeping time, just enter them without putting the times in, it'll still count.

Even for busy games, it takes under 2 minutes to put them on - hell the app automatically makes 2 yellows into a red to save you time for example. There's quite frankly no excuse to not do it thesedays. (And I remember when you had to write a description for every yellow card - ugh, that was a pain.)

I got asked again yesterday (before the game) by one of the players, casually, “do you put the cards through”?

Clearly there are referees who don’t bother, still, which undermines so many referees.

Here is my two cents worth of the OP.
@forrestforever my guess is that you are a relatively new referee but care about your refereeing. That's why you are here. You had an interesting game and came on here to share your experience with the rest of us and thanks for doing that. You thought you had a pretty good game and from our view point we think so too bar one part. We think this is a very big mistake. My take is you thought it was trivial but now accepted our view and it is big of you to do so. From other posts I take it you have tried to obfuscate your identity. I'd like to look at this in a positive way. You have realised it is a big mistake (and you are rectifying it), you care about your refereeing and don't want this to damage your reputation. I can understand that. The reaction here has been pretty harsh and rightly so. Here is my advice

- Sort out the reporting mess
- Learn from this experience
- Forget about your current account on this forum
- Create a new account and do comeback, contribute and get advice

The community here can sometimes be harsh but for the most part provide good advice. This forum is an invaluable free tool for any referee. Make use of it, and sometimes cop the criticism on the chin.
I agree. Alas, we may have deforested @forrestforever
I think that David Baddiel documentary has made me appreciate some pitfalls of communicating via Social Media (exclusively RefChat for me haha)
Our Woodsman Newbie just didn't realize he was sticking his head in the lions mouth by posting his cardinal sin on the Forum. Even if we don't hear from him again, he may have learned one thing from us!

I agree. Alas, we may have deforested @forrestforever
I think that David Baddiel documentary has made me appreciate some pitfalls of communicating via Social Media (exclusively RefChat for me haha)
Our Woodsman Newbie just didn't realize he was sticking his head in the lions mouth by posting his cardinal sin on the Forum. Even if we don't hear from him again, he may have learned one thing from us!
Yep RefChat and LoftForWords for me only as well.

Although the number of 'ignored' threads and posters I now have on the latter means its become a bit 'quiet' on there for me :p

Yep RefChat and LoftForWords for me only as well.

Although the number of 'ignored' threads and posters I now have on the latter means its become a bit 'quiet' on there for me :p
I don't 'ignore' anyone TBH
Can't see the point in only conversing with 'like minded' colleagues. Plus, I'd have nobody left to irritate!

I don't ignore anyone or any threads on here, but then referees don't resort to personal abuse etc.

Some of the stuff fans write about referees just isn't on - any personal abuse or wishing someone harm is a no no for me as are pointless threads going on and on and on about the same thing, usually covid related - I go on a fans website to discuss the club, not Boris Johnson! :rolleyes:

None of that applies to here thankfully!

Yep it probably shouldn’t but it does for me. Partly because it’s not them being fined but their parents.
I would say that as you’re being paid to do a job, part of that job is I putting cards into whole game and if we could pick an choose which ones to submit, that option would be there for us.

it’s worth mentioning as well that the competition as a whole can be affected by not submitting them, such as suspensions for accumulation of cards throughout the season

Back