The Ref Stop

Distinctive Whistles

Hilly1618

Any suggestions please regarding whistles that have distinctive tones. Will be part of a team of referees officiating at a multi pitch event with games going on at the same time on 3 separate pitches very close together. It would be great if we could identify whistles that are distinctive for each pitch. TIA

The Ref Stop
I don’t think you can beat a Fox Classic/Fox 40 Classic but always best to have at least 2 whistles with all having completely different tones in case others have the same.

The problem with Fox 40, or sonic blast is that they are common (not distinct). I have a pea whistle that you hardly hear anymore. I also have a Acme Slimline Tornado with a distinct tone but not very loud. I have only ever had to use them once or twice.

The problem with Fox 40, or sonic blast is that they are common (not distinct). I have a pea whistle that you hardly hear anymore. I also have an Acme Slimline Tornado with a distinct tone but not very loud. I have only ever had to use them once or twice.
This is what we are coming up against. I have mostly Fox40 , is the Fox Sonic very different? What about Molten?

I used to swear by the sonik blast but having tried it a while back at six a side, and since switching to the you no which (valkeen for those not in the know) it was bleddy awful.

The problem with the Sonik Blast is it can be very difficult to vary the tone and volume, I've watched lots of referees struggle with it and every blow of the whistle sounds the same.

Back