A&H

Dislocated Knee

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
So I managed to dislocate my knee rolling over in bed this morning, and am currently stuck waiting for an ambulance.

I know it depends on whether tendons have been damaged or there are any other issues but does anyone know a rough sort of time frame for recovery from this sort of injury?

The Referee Store
Generally with dislocations, the longer it takes from the time of the injury to having it put back in increases the recovery time, due to the swelling around the injury and the damage that happens when it gets reset.

Generally I'd say about 6 weeks, but likely another 4-6 on top of that for strenuous activity. Other consideration is what the cause of it was, if there is some inherent weakness, you could be susceptible to it happening again, so will need to build up the strength around it to help keep it in place.

Gutted for you, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks, they ended up getting the fire brigade out as I couldn't get down stairs due to the pain (I had a full bottle of gas and air and 3 lots of morphine)

It must have popped itself back in during all the moving about.

Gutted for you Zara. I know you take your reffing seriously so make sure you do it the right way, and don't rush it. I would definitely get some support from a physio, even if just 1 hour to setup a recovery plan to follow at home. Worst case, waste of a match feex best case, ability to keep bringing in the match fees.

Gutted for you Zara. I know you take your reffing seriously so make sure you do it the right way, and don't rush it. I would definitely get some support from a physio, even if just 1 hour to setup a recovery plan to follow at home. Worst case, waste of a match feex best case, ability to keep bringing in the match fees.
Thanks.

They did an x-ray and there wasn't any damage, but I'm waiting for an appointment with the virtual fracture clinic.

I'll certainly be seeing a physio though, I've never had any knee problems of any sort before so this was a bit out of the blue, it ended up being dislocated for about 4 hours.

You may want to replace you concrete bed with a softer one too. Sorry mate couldn't resist it. All the best in your recovery.

Best of luck. My son dislocated one playing basketball, and took quite a while to recover, and longer to trust it for basketball. Fortunately, reffing doesn’t require the same level of trust in a knee as basketball does. Best wishes.

I’m not sure if you had any ligament damage as a result of this but if you did, be vary careful about returning to refereeing to quickly.
I had ligament damage to my LCL about 4 years ago and I still get problems to this day and I’m sure it’s because I went back refereeing too soon

Good luck with the recovery.

Not as severe, but I dislocated my finger getting out of bed, which drew much hilarity when I gave it as my excuse for being late to work as I had to go to A&E (in my defence my little finger was pointing at right angles)

Thanks all, still stuck with the big "cricket pad brace" on my knee, and assure from the occasional ache if not had too many problems.

Unfortunately I've got to wait 2 weeks for my NHS physio appointment, which will be over the phone.

I dislocated my patella when I was 23. It took a long time to recover, though I didnt do the physio properly and rushed back to playing so did myself no favours.

Now currently going through physio, post surgery, for a torn ACL and MCL on the same knee, 10 years later.

I know that this might technically class as resurrecting a dead thread, but seemed a bit pointless to create a new one.

So progress with my knee has been slow, I started with the NHS, but ended up chinning that off and going private with the physio I normally see for injuries.

Started off with months of heel raises, squats, step ups etc, and just as he said I could start going to the gym to go on the bike and cross trainer and to start gentle resistance training lock down 2.0 kicked in

I've only started getting back into running, last week I was doing three sets of 9 minutes walking 1 minute running three times a week.

Ive just finished 3 sets of walking 8 minutes running 2 minutes three times a week, as you can see it's going to be another 8 weeks or so before I'll be back running for 30 minutes non stop.

Then it's back to the physio when I'm want to start working on speed and agility.

The physio did explain how I managed to dislocate my knee by rolling over as well.

Ultimately my season was done before it started, so I e set my sights on being fit and ready for the 21/22 season and another shot and 6-5.

Back