A&H

Dislocated Knee

I know that this might technically class as resurrecting a dead thread, but seemed a bit pointless to create a new one.

So progress with my knee has been slow, I started with the NHS, but ended up chinning that off and going private with the physio I normally see for injuries.

Started off with months of heel raises, squats, step ups etc, and just as he said I could start going to the gym to go on the bike and cross trainer and to start gentle resistance training lock down 2.0 kicked in

I've only started getting back into running, last week I was doing three sets of 9 minutes walking 1 minute running three times a week.

Ive just finished 3 sets of walking 8 minutes running 2 minutes three times a week, as you can see it's going to be another 8 weeks or so before I'll be back running for 30 minutes non stop.

Then it's back to the physio when I'm want to start working on speed and agility.

The physio did explain how I managed to dislocate my knee by rolling over as well.

Ultimately my season was done before it started, so I e set my sights on being fit and ready for the 21/22 season and another shot and 6-5.
Good luck with the recovery

The Referee Store
Good luck. It’s a tough one. Obviously severity matters a lot. My 18 year old son did it playing basketball. I think it was about 8 months before he trusted it in competitive basketball (which was a shame as it pretty much killed his senior season). But now a couple of years later, he doesn’t even think about it anymore,

Good luck. It’s a tough one. Obviously severity matters a lot. My 18 year old son did it playing basketball. I think it was about 8 months before he trusted it in competitive basketball (which was a shame as it pretty much killed his senior season). But now a couple of years later, he doesn’t even think about it anymore,
Yeah, as well as the running I need to keep up with the other training to strengthen the muscles in my leg etc.

I'm allowed to go back to karate (when they can open the dojo again), but I'm under strict orders to build up slowly, and to be careful with kicking and anything that involves pivoting on my leg such as round house kicks etc.

Thanks, I'm terrible at being injured, and I have to fight the army mentality of just necking a couple of ibuprofen and cracking on with it.

Good luck. I've always had the same mentality and I dont understand any other mentality to be honest. What people think is an injury and the amount of rest some young people think are required to referee astounds me to be honest. You'll soon be back at it

Good luck. I've always had the same mentality and I dont understand any other mentality to be honest. What people think is an injury and the amount of rest some young people think are required to referee astounds me to be honest. You'll soon be back at it

Do you know anything about dislocated knees? One of the issues with dislocated knees is that a second one is much worse than the first—and the risk or re+dislocating is higher until it has a chance to heal, as the dislocation stretches things past where they should be stretched. Absolutely there are injuries that you can just fight your way through, but that’s not true for all injuries. (Just like people used to think it was ok to “tough it out” with concussions—leading to former star athletes with severely impaired brain function in their 40s and 50s.)

Do you know anything about dislocated knees? One of the issues with dislocated knees is that a second one is much worse than the first—and the risk or re+dislocating is higher until it has a chance to heal, as the dislocation stretches things past where they should be stretched. Absolutely there are injuries that you can just fight your way through, but that’s not true for all injuries. (Just like people used to think it was ok to “tough it out” with concussions—leading to former star athletes with severely impaired brain function in their 40s and 50s.)

I wasn't referring to dislocated knees. I cant possible comment on someone else's injury. It was a general observation based on probably >1000 games of football played spanning 25 years. Theres been significant culture changes, some good and some bad.

I've had plenty of injuries. 4 dislocations although thankfully only fingers from cricket. I've seen players play on with concussion and people have seen me play with concussion. There's no arguments against concussion protocols and we're decades behind american sports in implementing concussion protocols. Football is backwards in that respect and continues to be.

Dont link my view that players/officials want too much rest and are too quick to declare themselves injured with the notion that I am backward thinking in such matters or that I want a return to the good old days etc. Again, its a general view based on my experience.

I think it comes down to knowing your own body, for want of a better phrase.

I've been around enough that I'm fairly good at being able to gauge whether pain means I need to rest, or whether it's just a little pull that I can work through.

Certainly in the Army when I was serving there was a lot of shame attached with going sick unless your leg was hanging off. And I know a few people who now have permanent injuries, particularly back and knee injuries, because they tried to work through the pain when they should have gone to the med center.

Back