A&H

Different types of assessors

So a fundamental error in law and it's just ignored?

No wonder the promotion system is in such a state......

If everyone just did the job they were there to do instead of trying to be everyone's best mate or find ever more outlandish excuses not to apply the LOTG correctly then the better referees we will be producing.

The reason we have such a wide range of competency and ability disparity at levels 5 to 1 is largely down to referees trying to compromise so that they keep assessors happy, maintain their marks and not stand out. Trouble is different assessors have different agendas so no consistency is achieved.......
Apparently facebook is introducing a dislike button. Maybe we need one on here as well .....

The Referee Store
To me, the referee isn't the one who gets penalized in this case. The AR, on the other hand, would have a problem.

Sorry, but I'm with Padfoot on this. As an assessor I could understand the referee stopping play, thinking that there was some other reason the flag was raised. But once play is stopped and it's realised the flag was wrong, then a drop ball is the only option. IFK is simply incorrect in law, no two ways around it. I could appreciate that the AR threw him under the bus, but the ref still needs to get the decision right with the information at hand, and an error in law (incorrect restart) is never good to cop on an assessment.

So a fundamental error in law and it's just ignored?

No wonder the promotion system is in such a state......

If everyone just did the job they were there to do instead of trying to be everyone's best mate or find ever more outlandish excuses not to apply the LOTG correctly then the better referees we will be producing.

The reason we have such a wide range of competency and ability disparity at levels 5 to 1 is largely down to referees trying to compromise so that they keep assessors happy, maintain their marks and not stand out. Trouble is different assessors have different agendas so no consistency is achieved.......
Thanks for that. To clarify... the referee genuinely believed there had been an offside offence based on the signal from the AR as there appeared to be contact between another attacker and the player who was in an offside position when the goal kick was taken. It was when I challenged the AR that he confirmed the ball had gone straight to the "offending" player and he had not spotted the ball had been played from a goal kick and not a free kick. The referee acted on the information from the AR.

Again though, thanks for your comment on a situation for which you did not have all the information but still found time to castigate the whole of the refereeing community (above level 6) and the assessors who support their development. The role of the assessor is twofold, guardian of standards but also development of the referees.

I don't see what @Brian Hamilton has done wrong here ?!
He went to the game, assessed the referees - noticed one significant mistake by the AR and then the referee from the follow up - informed the AR and referee of thier mistake in a positive way.
Pretty good assessing if you ask me.

I would love to know how you'd have gone about it differnetly @Padfoot ?

I think the objection is to the implication from Brian that the referee shouldn't have waved down his assistant for match control reasons.

To be clear, the incorrect Application of Law was only discovered in the changing rooms after the end of the game. The referee, on the info he had, did exactly the correct thing.

As part of the de-brief, the AR would have been given a development point of goal kicks and offsides; AND I hope that @Brian Hamilton did this:

That the referee got a development point on teamwork so his PMI are changed to ensure that his AR's are fully aware of offsides and goal kicks.

The lack of proper PMI & understanding the NAR's abilities led to this mistake.

The Phantom (aka the Silent Assassin): A close relation of the DGAS that Bester named. You never knew he/she was there until a report lands on your doorstep/in your inbox, by which point it is too late to do anything about any development points that may occur. Behaviour also prevents constructive advice being given during the game.

Encountered during my days in Bedfordshire.

To be clear, the incorrect Application of Law was only discovered in the changing rooms after the end of the game. The referee, on the info he had, did exactly the correct thing.

As part of the de-brief, the AR would have been given a development point of goal kicks and offsides; AND I hope that @Brian Hamilton did this:

That the referee got a development point on teamwork so his PMI are changed to ensure that his AR's are fully aware of offsides and goal kicks.

The lack of proper PMI & understanding the NAR's abilities led to this mistake.
It was a momentary lapse in concentration that caused it, not a lack of knowledge.

The Phantom (aka the Silent Assassin): A close relation of the DGAS that Bester named. You never knew he/she was there until a report lands on your doorstep/in your inbox, by which point it is too late to do anything about any development points that may occur. Behaviour also prevents constructive advice being given during the game.

Encountered during my days in Bedfordshire.
We've been told not to provide any constructive (or otherwise) advice during games from this season with the new promotion assessment procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been told not to provide any constructive (or otherwise) advice during games from this season with the new promotion assessment procedure.

Is that West Yorks only or nationwide? In North Riding, we have always been told not to provide any advice unless it is so significant that not giving it would harm their match control.

Last edited:
It was a momentary lapse in concentration that caused it, not a lack of knowledge.

Neither do our assessors provide any advice prior to or during the match. It is after the match that they offer their points of advice.

Is that West Yorks only or nationwide? In North Riding, we have always been told not to provide any advice unless it is so significant that not giving it would harm their match control.
Nationwide I understand. The friendly advice to "caution number 7 next time he sneezes" is now out the window ;)

On that I stand corrected although I now offer in my defence that the Phantom visited me in the 2005-06 season. Still haunts me :D

I did think of another last night when reflecting on someone I think no longer assesses.

The Grapefruit: Sharp and acidic at first but afterwards tinged with a little sweetness. Once it's finished however you feel refreshed and revitalised and ready to tackle whatever else is thrown at you.

On that I stand corrected although I now offer in my defence that the Phantom visited me in the 2005-06 season. Still haunts me :D

I did think of another last night when reflecting on someone I think no longer assesses.

The Grapefruit: Sharp and acidic at first but afterwards tinged with a little sweetness. Once it's finished however you feel refreshed and revitalised and ready to tackle whatever else is thrown at you.

These might be my favourite. I had one assessor who gave me the gears after the match and I felt like complete ****e. Later on at dinner (we were at a national tournament and all ate together every night), he put his arm around me and talked to me about how I could improve and told me he wanted me to reach my potential, which he maintained was high. He has, ever since, been one of my most respected assessors.

The Box Filler

You've had him before, maybe more than once and you know that he will be checking his development points so you do too. Uses Positioning/Signalling/Fitness as his go to 3 so you make sure you run till your feet drop off getting wider and wider to be perfect on offsides and giving them crisply.....

Only to be pulled up on Throw Ins, CAR or something odd to fill the boxes because their struggling!

Usually means you get a good Assessment!

Back