A&H

Different types of assessors

Lefelee

Do you recognise any of these types, or do you have other ones that come to mind?

The casual - Casually dressed, easy-going, bantering with you and your team-mates, maybe gives some quick advice before the game or at half time. Whatever you do, he will support your decisions, and if he has doubts he will trust your judgement. When the report comes, he is full of praise and only gives some nitpick negative feedback.

The hardcore - A seasoned, dedicated assessor who perhaps has several years of experience at higher and sometimes national levels. He will be formally dressed, perhaps turn up before you and carefully pay attention to your every move on and off the field. He has an eye for detail, and sees it all, without nitpicking. In the long debrief, he may sometimes appear strict, but his goal is that you should learn from the assessment and become a better referee, trying to find alternative solutions to every situation you could have handled better. His report will be lengthy and detailed, even though your performance was good or the game easy.

The disciplinarian - By his appearance he may seem like a casual guy, but that is until his de-brief starts; he has an eye for every single opportunity to book, send off or award a penalty, and he will not keep his opinion to himself. Beware of missing cautions for everything from time-wasting, delaying the restart of play to seemingly innocuous challenges. And do not dare to challenge him, or he will turn on you even more. Do as he says, and administer the right disciplinary sanctions without common sense, and you'll be fine in his report, if not, expect a shocker.

More profiles may come!

The Referee Store
The sleeper - He may turn up late or even just before kick-off, and almost no matter how difficult the game has been his de-brief will be short and not include the situations you would find it natural to talk about. He often cares little if anything about the ARs. The report is usually short and hastily compiled.

The only assessor types I've come across are the outdated, the useless, the incompetent, the pointless and the downright dangerous......

Only because you haven't assessed me :cool:
Didn't say all assessors, only the vast majority of ones I've witnessed
There's also the really dedicated, up to date, still refereeing (albeit no longer at the levels or frequency they once attained), travels many miles, gets home at all hours, misses out on family occasions, hardworking and supportive assessors whose heart breaks when a referee has a lapse in concentration and spends much of the 90 minutes fending off spectator/club official questions ;)

To follow up on this, yesterday I could have cried with frustration when AR1 inexplicably signalled for offside from a goal kick. I could tell he wanted the ground to open up and the referee was forced to defend his mistake to the players. He'd been very good for 78 minutes to that point and a split second lapse saw his credibility shredded. He recovered well and his actions had no bearing on the result fortunately.

The Mad Genius: Turns up on time, often with a very identifiable almost trade-mark appearance (for example, one assessor I knew always wore a bucket hat). He is extremely friendly and always likes to have a laugh, much like the Casual. When it comes to the debrief, he speaks for a long time, in largely broken thoughts that don't, at first glance, always appear to go together sensibly. However, if you take the time to reflect on your performance and recollect what he said, you can often find extremely useful advice somewhere underneath it all.

The Professor: The Professor typically shows up in association tracksuit, and is all kitted out with the latest assessor's gear. He knows the LOTG inside and out and, during his debrief, will quote them exactly in response to your decisions. He will also call you out for using inexact terminology ("the box", "injury time" etc) and expects exactitude in your language. Can offer very good advice, but can also offer mind-boggling advice.

To follow up on this, yesterday I could have cried with frustration when AR1 inexplicably signalled for offside from a goal kick. I could tell he wanted the ground to open up and the referee was forced to defend his mistake to the players. He'd been very good for 78 minutes to that point and a split second lapse saw his credibility shredded. He recovered well and his actions had no bearing on the result fortunately.

As referee would you wave down the flag? And laugh about it after the game?

Had them all !!

the Newbee who tore me a new one on my first 6-5

the don't give a sh..t ...who assessed from his car as it was pissi.g down and then told me game wouldn't count as it finished 10 3 and was not classed as competitive .... 2 off 6 in the book / ( thanks for that )

And the good guy who watched the game was positive and gave the proper bullet points after the game

As referee would you wave down the flag? And laugh about it after the game?
You can't because the players stopped when they saw the flag and the referee was obliged to stop the game. He gave the offside and restarted with an IDFK. This is wrong in law, but he couldn't undermine the AR AND had he waved him down and the attacker scored, his match control would have been out of the window.

We all laughed about it afterwards!

I am hoping to become an assessor when I finally lose the ability to run ( :D hopefully a good few years yet) - cannot wait. Wonder what kind of basta... I mean assessor I will be!

Yeah great you were assessing Brian.
I was assessing. The referee should have restarted with a dropped ball as he had stopped the game without just cause, but the offside IDFK just felt right at the time. I wasn't going to penalise him for it.

I was assessing. The referee should have restarted with a dropped ball as he had stopped the game without just cause, but the offside IDFK just felt right at the time. I wasn't going to penalise him for it.

You're the Perfect Type of assessor. One who has empathy for the game, and doesn't go technical on a referee when he/she manages a game which what feels right for everyone at the time.

You're the Perfect Type of assessor. One who has empathy for the game, and doesn't go technical on a referee when he/she manages a game which what feels right for everyone at the time.
I am a learning assessor, always willing to listen to an opinion, but considering the impact on the game. I'm in the process of stepping up to Contributory assessments so up to and including Conference League North. I've learned so much from other assessors this season. It's been a real eye opener and I'm now taking that knowledge down to Supply and probably to 5-4 candidates, so they get better at what they do.

Brain, that is one of the best posts ever. Even assessors are learning. I wish all assessors had that attitude.

Certainly something I will be keeping in mind when I am an assessor.

So a fundamental error in law and it's just ignored?

No wonder the promotion system is in such a state......

If everyone just did the job they were there to do instead of trying to be everyone's best mate or find ever more outlandish excuses not to apply the LOTG correctly then the better referees we will be producing.

The reason we have such a wide range of competency and ability disparity at levels 5 to 1 is largely down to referees trying to compromise so that they keep assessors happy, maintain their marks and not stand out. Trouble is different assessors have different agendas so no consistency is achieved.......

So a fundamental error in law and it's just ignored?

No wonder the promotion system is in such a state......

If everyone just did the job they were there to do instead of trying to be everyone's best mate or find ever more outlandish excuses not to apply the LOTG correctly then the better referees we will be producing.

The reason we have such a wide range of competency and ability disparity at levels 5 to 1 is largely down to referees trying to compromise so that they keep assessors happy, maintain their marks and not stand out. Trouble is different assessors have different agendas so no consistency is achieved.......

Be sensible.

Back