The Ref Stop

Crystal Palace v Leicester City

There is a well understood optical illusion when comparing head height with ground level. The lines drawn down to the ground are not vertical
This has caused controversy before because sometimes one could swear blind a player of offside or onside, but the geometry is misleading
A recurring cause of conspiracy theory because a vertical line down from the shoulder would probably have him offside
It's also part of the absurdity of drawing factual conclusions from line drawing because they don't use a scientific angle when drawing the line down to the ground. They just guess and then claim FACT

1726842160094.png

Last edited:
The Ref Stop
Toe nail offsides are not expected to return with the semi automatic system.

From watching Serie A and the Euros then there is literally no margin for error. Anything that the system picks up to be offside will be shown as such unless as I say the PL system will have some margin for error built in(which they might not publicly admit).

From watching Serie A and the Euros then there is literally no margin for error. Anything that the system picks up to be offside will be shown as such unless as I say the PL system will have some margin for error built in(which they might not publicly admit).
PGMOL are developing their own system, not using the one that other countries do, so if they want to retain a margin for error it is within their ability.

There is a well understood optical illusion when comparing head height with ground level. The lines drawn down to the ground are not vertical
This has caused controversy before because sometimes one could swear blind a player of offside or onside, but the geometry is misleading
A recurring cause of conspiracy theory because a vertical line down from the shoulder would probably have him offside
It's also part of the absurdity of drawing factual conclusions from line drawing because they don't use a scientific angle when drawing the line down to the ground. They just guess and then claim FACT

View attachment 7584
They don't draw any lines, they just select the furthest forward point of both players and the technology draws the lines, both down to the floor where necessary and then across the pitch. They have to trust the technology, assuming they have picked the correct part of the body, and I believe they select multiple parts to see which is furthest forward.

In any case, even if it is wrong it certainly isn't anywhere near as wrong as Steve Cooper is claiming. I'd say there is even a strong possibility that Matata is behind or level with the ball.

They don't draw any lines,
I don't know what they do now, but it was once a manual process to draw the vertical (not vertical) line down to the ground
A very imprecise methodology to produce what was sold as a very accurate result. When it wasn't

My post was merely intended to illustrate that the pictures (like this one) can be quite misleading

Last edited:
I don't know what they do now, but it was once a manual process to draw the vertical (not vertical) line down to the ground
A very imprecise methodology to produce what was sold as a very accurate result. When it wasn't

My post was merely intended to illustrate that the pictures (like this one) can be quite misleading
Are we absolutely sure they’re not sat in the laptop bunker, feet-up, munching on Doritos Flamin’ Hot (lovely new flavour, but don’t eat them PRE-game) and washing them down with some sponsored Carling?

Forest haven’t moaned much this season and look where they are!!
Ironic then that Forest moaned a lot and Steve Cooper was manager of, erm, Forest last season. Even if he only last until around Christmas, that was enough time for him to moan last season, and the season before.
So maybe it wasn't Forest, per se, maybe it was Cooper all along.

Ps. He moaned a lot too when in the championship with Swansea. He definitely tried to influence referees this way and they were more (probably) prone to listening than the more experienced names in the Premier League.

Remember his tantrum in the Swansea v Brentford semi final play off game (2020 I believe) where his overreaction to a tackle got Rico Henry sent off (later rescinded).
He moaned about the fact it was rescinded.

Ironic then that Forest moaned a lot and Steve Cooper was manager of, erm, Forest last season. Even if he only last until around Christmas, that was enough time for him to moan last season, and the season before.
So maybe it wasn't Forest, per se, maybe it was Cooper all along.

Ps. He moaned a lot too when in the championship with Swansea. He definitely tried to influence referees this way and they were more (probably) prone to listening than the more experienced names in the Premier League.

Remember his tantrum in the Swansea v Brentford semi final play off game (2020 I believe) where his overreaction to a tackle got Rico Henry sent off (later rescinded).
He moaned about the fact it was rescinded.
And he has neglected to mention that his team have already benefited from VAR this season when they intervened to give a goal that the on-pitch officials had disallowed. He really needs to wind his neck in and focus on getting his team playing well enough to stay up.

Back