A&H

Corners

BrumRef

Regular Contributor
Level 7 Referee
Hi all,
Quick question, on corners are players allowed to touch the ball walk away and another player come and dribble with it? Had it today and just blew up and told them to retake the corner

The Referee Store
The corner kick is taken when the ball is kicked and clearly moves. So, a light tap which doesn't result in the ball clearly moving means the corner kick wasn't taken.

Although ordering a retake is sensible refereeing, it should be an indirect free kick to the opposition according to law.

Although ordering a retake is sensible refereeing, it should be an indirect free kick to the opposition according to law.

Only if the player touches it again. If, as in OP, the kicker plays the ball and walks away leaving it for another there's no offence.

Only if the player touches it again. If, as in OP, the kicker plays the ball and walks away leaving it for another there's no offence.

Kind of. You are correct but if a player then dribbles with the ball they're obviously touching it more than once. Their first touch could be seen as a corner being taken, the second touch of the dribble is an offence.

Kind of. You are correct but if a player then dribbles with the ball they're obviously touching it more than once. Their first touch could be seen as a corner being taken, the second touch of the dribble is an offence.

Kind of? As I said, in OP the corner kicker touches it and walks away, the second player can touch it as many times as he wants and has committed no offence.
Now, as @Big Cat said, not on my FOP either.

touch the ball walk away
If, as in OP, the kicker plays the ball
Not the same thing.

In either case the law is clear the ball has to be "kicked and clearly move", there is no mention of touching the ball or playing the ball. Let's use the same terminology as the laws to avoid confusion.

Was the ball kicked and clearly move? If yes play on (... next). If not, then (dribbling implying more than one touch), IFK to opponents.

I would love to hear an observer's opinion on this; although it should be an indirect free kick according to law, ordering a retake will be best for match control. What's the best option?

I would love to hear an observer's opinion on this; although it should be an indirect free kick according to law, ordering a retake will be best for match control. What's the best option?
Not an observer (for football refereeing, anyway) but: at the grade in question, would you allow a foul throw or an incorrectly executed free kick to be taken again?
Whether yes or no, the same reasoning applies to a CK, and should be the same answer.

Others in the thread have already cleared up that if the ball 'is kicked and clearly moves' then it's a legal corner kick. So the key question is whether the referee actually sees the ball move when it is first played by the initial attacker. If you DO see it move then you've no basis for stopping the play ... those who are saying 'not on my pitch' need to be very careful with this. That said, assuming the referee is in a "typical" position for a corner, the ball will need to move a reasonable amount for this to be clearly seen by the official AND he needs to be looking in that direction rather than at the likely drop zone.

My past experience is that teams who are planning this maneouvre will often mention it to me in advance of the game starting, allowing me to be switched onto it. For me, it's allowed in the LOTG so I've no problem with it ... for those who think it's against the spirit of the game, I'd suggest that you always have the option of bellowing "Ball is in Play" to give the opposition a fighting chance :)

Others in the thread have already cleared up that if the ball 'is kicked and clearly moves' then it's a legal corner kick. So the key question is whether the referee actually sees the ball move when it is first played by the initial attacker. If you DO see it move then you've no basis for stopping the play ... those who are saying 'not on my pitch' need to be very careful with this. That said, assuming the referee is in a "typical" position for a corner, the ball will need to move a reasonable amount for this to be clearly seen by the official AND he needs to be looking in that direction rather than at the likely drop zone.

My past experience is that teams who are planning this maneouvre will often mention it to me in advance of the game starting, allowing me to be switched onto it. For me, it's allowed in the LOTG so I've no problem with it ... for those who think it's against the spirit of the game, I'd suggest that you always have the option of bellowing "Ball is in Play" to give the opposition a fighting chance :)
If a player or team has mentioned the intention, then the referee can't claim to have missed it, as to do so would be in breach of the LOTG. Otherwise, from a distance, the ball should move sufficiently that it is seen to do so. If the taker runs off, leaving it to a teammate, I'd like to think I'd be shouting "ball is in play"

Last edited:
Claiming to not have seen something is not in breach of the laws of the game. What a stupid thing to say.

If a player tells me that they're going to try this at some point I will try and watch out for it. But if I don't see the first player take the corner (I.e. the ball is kicked and clearly moves) and then a second players runs up and tries to dribble the ball, I'm awarding the IFK all day.

Of course, we all know there are referees who happily pick and choose what laws they want to apply so I guess you might get some that say they didn't see it (when they did) to stop teams doing this. Good luck trying to prove it though.

We've had this a few times before....

I think it's all about how you manage it - fairly

If someone asks me before the game if they can do this kind of corner routine, I will explain the law TO BOTH TEAMS. That's fair and - bonus - makes any silly bu**ers less likely to happen.

If it happens during a game, there are a few options:
- Do nothing - implying that you've seen it clearly move. I don't like this because - if it wasn't that "clear" then match control suffers
- Penalise it - implying you didn't think it moved. If that side's AR flags that's great - but it's not an easy sell for a ref and the takers are going to complain and match control will suffer.
- Communicate it - "ball's in play" - this is my preferred, just like any other small player or AR communication during a game, you've communicated you are happy that it's moved and you've managed everyone's expectations. For me this isn't helping one side unfairly, it's just common sense communication like "carry on" or an advantage signal.

Who said that? Can't see it in any of the posts

You did, here:

If a player or team has mentioned the intention, then the referee can't claim to have missed it, as to do so would be in breach of the LOTG. Otherwise, from a distance, the ball should move sufficiently that it is seen to do so. If the taker runs off, leaving it to a teammate, I'd like to think I'd be shouting "ball is in play"

We've had this a few times before....

I think it's all about how you manage it - fairly

If someone asks me before the game if they can do this kind of corner routine, I will explain the law TO BOTH TEAMS. That's fair and - bonus - makes any silly bu**ers less likely to happen.

If it happens during a game, there are a few options:
- Do nothing - implying that you've seen it clearly move. I don't like this because - if it wasn't that "clear" then match control suffers
- Penalise it - implying you didn't think it moved. If that side's AR flags that's great - but it's not an easy sell for a ref and the takers are going to complain and match control will suffer.
- Communicate it - "ball's in play" - this is my preferred, just like any other small player or AR communication during a game, you've communicated you are happy that it's moved and you've managed everyone's expectations. For me this isn't helping one side unfairly, it's just common sense communication like "carry on" or an advantage signal.

i cant quite put my finger on it but despite sounding good, your third option doesnt sit well with me. just feels like you're giving one side an advantage that they dont deserve. it might in fact have the opposite match control issue and cause the team taking the corner to get on your back.

explaining it to both teams at the start, once prompted, is probably my preferred solution though i've never come across this before!

You did, here:
If a player or team has mentioned the intention, then the referee can't claim to have missed it, as to do so would be in breach of the LOTG
is not the same as;
Claiming to not have seen something is not in breach of the laws of the game
in the context of my reply (as part of a discussion)

Stop trolling please. It's boring for everyone

If a player or team has mentioned the intention, then the referee can't claim to have missed it, as to do so would be in breach of the LOTG
is not the same as;
Claiming to not have seen something is not in breach of the laws of the game
in the context of my reply (as part of a discussion)

Stop trolling please. It's boring for everyone

Not trolling, merely pointing out that you are wrong.

Unless what you actually meant was that a referee lying about not seeing something so they can incorrectly penalise a team for doing something that is allowed under the lotg but not to the referees liking.

Which I did say at the bottom of my original post, before you got all defensive.

Last edited:
Back