A&H

Corners

It depends what kind of 'touch' - was the ball kicked and did it clearly move?

Just to be clear, Law 17 specifically says that if the ball is kicked and clearly moves:
From what I saw he touched the ball down the walked away and about 20 seconds later a player walked other then just started dribbling with it and I blew for a retake

The Referee Store
Others in the thread have already cleared up that if the ball 'is kicked and clearly moves' then it's a legal corner kick. So the key question is whether the referee actually sees the ball move when it is first played by the initial attacker. If you DO see it move then you've no basis for stopping the play ... those who are saying 'not on my pitch' need to be very careful with this. That said, assuming the referee is in a "typical" position for a corner, the ball will need to move a reasonable amount for this to be clearly seen by the official AND he needs to be looking in that direction rather than at the likely drop zone.

My past experience is that teams who are planning this maneouvre will often mention it to me in advance of the game starting, allowing me to be switched onto it. For me, it's allowed in the LOTG so I've no problem with it ... for those who think it's against the spirit of the game, I'd suggest that you always have the option of bellowing "Ball is in Play" to give the opposition a fighting chance :)
As you said I made sure the ball started in the corner circle then focussed on the drop zone so I didn’t see any clear touch until the protests from the other team as there was no second played so i didn’t watch for that just waited for the corner to be taken turned around and saw him dribbling - if informed as you said I would allow it however I hadn’t been informed of this

This used to happen quite a lot but seemed to go out of fashion, presumably because referees weren't letting them get away with it.

On the fairly few occasions it happened in games I was refereeing the attacking team would tell me, either before the game or at the corner, and my standard response was along the lines of that's fine, but it has to move and I will shout out "ball in play". Nothing wrong with that and no different to shouting it after a quick free kick is taken, that's just game management. On one occasion the ball didn't visibly move and they were expecting a retake, were rather annoyed when I gave an indirect free kick ... !

Not trolling, merely pointing out that you are wrong.

Unless what you actually meant was that a referee lying about not seeing something so they can incorrectly penalise a team for doing something that is allowed under the lotg but not to the referees liking.

Which I did say at the bottom of my original post, before you got all defensive.
The point I was making when replying to a friend (at which you interjected), was that once a player (or team) indicates they're 'planning this maneouvre', the options available to me (the referee) would be curtailed
This message was inferred and you misrepresented me
Words of 'wrong' and 'stupid' are insulting and typical of you. I shan't reply further, so as to keep the mods restful

The point I was making when replying to a friend (at which you interjected), was that once a player (or team) indicates they're 'planning this maneouvre', the options available to me (the referee) would be curtailed
This message was inferred and you misrepresented me
Words of 'wrong' and 'stupid' are insulting and typical of you. I shan't reply further, so as to keep the mods restful

But a team telling you they are planning this manoeuvre doesn't curtail what you as the referee can do.

You either see the ball get kicked and clearly move, and you allow the play to continue, or you don't see the ball get kicked and clearly move, at which point you award an indirect free kick.

It's not a difficult concept. Unless you are implying that if a team didn't tell the referee they were going to try this then the referee could lie and say they didn't see the ball move, and thus incorrectly award an indirect free kick to stop the team doing something which is allowed in law but the referee doesn't personally like.

Personally I don't look for reasons not to apply the laws of the game correctly, so it would never occur to me to not allow a team to do this, unless I genuinely didnt see the ball get kicked and clearly move.

Last edited:
Cut it out with the insults / digs and counter insults / digs folks or people will be having a rest, we are getting a bit fed up of it. We are, are we not, all supposed to be part of one big family and shouldn't be bickering with each other?
If only our streets were so well policed :mute:

Kind of? As I said, in OP the corner kicker touches it and walks away, the second player can touch it as many times as he wants and has committed no offence.
Now, as @Big Cat said, not on my FOP either.

But that's not true. If the first is a touch where the ball doesn't move [as OP suggests] the second player cannot dribble with the ball as his first touch would be the corner being taken.

From what I saw he touched the ball down the walked away and about 20 seconds later a player walked other then just started dribbling with it and I blew for a retake
I think what you are saying is it didn't clearly move. Then it should have been an indirect free kick from where the second player kicked it a second time in the dribble. I'm happy with a retake as well although not entirely correct in law. (Retake is a good option if you don't know what the answer is. After all IFAB uses it).

i cant quite put my finger on it but despite sounding good, your third option doesnt sit well with me. just feels like you're giving one side an advantage that they dont deserve. it might in fact have the opposite match control issue and cause the team taking the corner to get on your back.

explaining it to both teams at the start, once prompted, is probably my preferred solution though i've never come across this before!
Take another example, like under the old laws, at a GK when a defender plays the ball just outside the box... what do (did) you do?

Since working with comms and higher level refs, I was in the habit - as AR or ref - of clearly communicating "OK" or "in play".

What about a no handball decision - what do you do? You quickly say "carry on" or equivalent to manage the game, right?

With these helping phrases, you can look at it that you are benefitting the appealing (defending) team, because you are preventing them from stopping playing while they "think" or "claim" an offence. What you are actually doing is being proactive, keeping the game moving and minimising any nonsense.

I think it's the same with something like the corner routine.

It's also the same at a DFK taken quickly in midfield that hardly moves. The last thing you want is a quick challenge and the next teammate of the taker picking the ball and claiming they haven't taken it yet... "in play"... everything after that is easy sell...

Back