A&H

Controversial Decision

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
Evening all,

Here is an interesting one from one of my academy games. High standard of play.

Both managers agreed at the end, I got this decision wrong. They are both great people and nobody was annoyed. So this is just some fun for me.

Yellow is the defender, blue is the attacker. Penalty or no Penalty.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
My first comment where are you in the footage. 😂

Secondly, both had hands on each other, for a penalty I want to see a clear foul, anything soft is ok on the half way line but closer to the goal needs to be very a very clear offence.

My first comment where are you in the footage. 😂

Secondly, both had hands on each other, for a penalty I want to see a clear foul, anything soft is ok on the half way line but closer to the goal needs to be very a very clear offence.
Sorry I meant high standard of play from the players not me!

I was just left off screen. Not far from the D.

Trying to keep it spoiler free, so kept myself out the shot.

1681496370693.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's enough there for me to give a penalty. Looks like a case of both players having hands on/pulling each other, so I think I'd be waving play on there.

Slight aside, are you reffing in tracksuit bottoms? :eek:

I'm not sure there's enough there for me to give a penalty. Looks like a case of both players having hands on/pulling each other, so I think I'd be waving play on there.

Slight aside, are you reffing in tracksuit bottoms? :eek:
No, bad angle, 100% shorts and socks. Hahaa

1681496995710.png

There's certainly a pull / push by the defender at the end, but they were both grappling and personally I wouldn't be giving a foul either way.

For positioning you are too central. For that type of challenge I would have liked to seen you break left as play went into the penalty area, so that at the time of the challenge you were just outside of the penalty area to the left of the D.

There's certainly a pull / push by the defender at the end, but they were both grappling and personally I wouldn't be giving a foul either way.

For positioning you are too central. For that type of challenge I would have liked to seen you break left as play went into the penalty area, so that at the time of the challenge you were just outside of the penalty area to the left of the D.
I completely agree with positioning. It was last few mins of the game and the defence were starting a counter attack and lost the ball and then immediately after is when the through ball was played, so I was at full sprint expecting the attack to be going the opposite direction.

This ^^^^

I think you can dissect it all you like on video but real time two players grappling nothing doing for me.

Complete agreement with rusty... Not only would ths positioning aid foul detection but not sure what the lino situation is here but would keep active lino in better sight or be better positioned to judge offsides, albeit this is not even close to offside.

Be great to hear your thoughts, what you think you did well, what your thought process was and what development you have taken from the clip once everyone else has chimed in 👍

I completely agree with positioning. It was last few mins of the game and the defence were starting a counter attack and lost the ball and then immediately after is when the through ball was played, so I was at full sprint expecting the attack to be going the opposite direction.
Still head left though, even if sprinting. You are better being 5 yards further away from play with an angled view than being 5 yards closer looking straight down the barrel. Watch Premier League referees when they are at full pelt chasing a fast break away, they will always head left.

Still head left though, even if sprinting. You are better being 5 yards further away from play with an angled view than being 5 yards closer looking straight down the barrel. Watch Premier League referees when they are at full pelt chasing a fast break away, they will always head left.
I have read about running for the angle and seen a seminar on Youtube about it once from some senior referee somewhere.

I know it is the right thing to do. Just a habit to sprint back hard. I find right now I can apply one or two pieces of advice a game, then need a load of games to consolidate.

So basically, I know I should be running wide for the angle. However, in this case I did not due to inexperience.

This ^^^^

I think you can dissect it all you like on video but real time two players grappling nothing doing for me.

Complete agreement with rusty... Not only would ths positioning aid foul detection but not sure what the lino situation is here but would keep active lino in better sight or be better positioned to judge offsides, albeit this is not even close to offside.

Be great to hear your thoughts, what you think you did well, what your thought process was and what development you have taken from the clip once everyone else has chimed in 👍
1681498976359.png

Both sets of coaches said the push on the back was a freekick when they were both battling.

I respectfully disagreed.

My read of the situation was: Blue pushed yellow in the back, not enough for a foul. Both players then were battling. Then yellow very deliberately pushed blue to the ground. Penalty.

My angle was too square on and I was further back than I would have liked to be.

Some people in the crowd were not happy with the call. A lot of heckling, nothing that was near abuse, but verbal frustration for sure.

Big confession. My Level 5 AR was perfectly placed to see everything. Did I consult him in anyway or even look at him. No. Why. Because I forgot about him.

I watched the VEO footage and based on his body language he seems to assume I'm blowing for a defence freekick. He left sharpish after the game, so I couldn't ask his thoughts.

I think I made the correct call. However, I think some of that comes down to luck.

I think angle is going to matter here, and I'd love a better angle. I think the attacker commits the first foul and then the defender commits a worse foul. Without knowing the game context, which could matter, I would call the first foul and have the kick coming out, and explain why there wasn't a PK.

Feel a bit of sympathy for you here because of the way they both end up on the floor with one player holding the ball you have to make some kind of decision.

Better a soft defensive free kick than a soft penalty

Feel a bit of sympathy for you here because of the way they both end up on the floor with one player holding the ball you have to make some kind of decision.

Better a soft defensive free kick than a soft penalty
The ball is grabbed after the whistle (so a none factor, joys of me cutting the volume). I committed to the whistle when I perceived the attacker was forced to the ground. However, both players go for the hold strategy. Basically insisting a foul.

I didn't feel DOGSO was appropriate at the time. However, I have no idea why hahaa. It just didn't look like a goalscoring opportunity as the striker was never in control of the ball or heading towards goal and the battle was about the ball. (Am I way off here?).

Again no sympathy needed. It was a great game, for an academy I really enjoy refereeing for.

The ball is grabbed after the whistle (so a none factor, joys of me cutting the volume). I committed to the whistle when I perceived the attacker was forced to the ground. However, both players go for the hold strategy. Basically insisting a foul.

I didn't feel DOGSO was appropriate at the time. However, I have no idea why hahaa. It just didn't look like a goalscoring opportunity as the striker was never in control of the ball or heading towards goal and the battle was about the ball. (Am I way off here?).

Again no sympathy needed. It was a great game, for an academy I really enjoy refereeing for.
I think once you commit to the foul from the defender here you have to also commit to DOGSO - no other defenders anywhere near, dead central and ball well within playing distance.

Perhaps lucky it was an academy game, if you make the same decision in an open age game you'll have murder here.

It's either a very soft defensive free kick outside the box for the first offence, or penalty and red card (if you give the pen, it has to also be red)

I think once you commit to the foul from the defender here you have to also commit to DOGSO - no other defenders anywhere near, dead central and ball well within playing distance.

Perhaps lucky it was an academy game, if you make the same decision in an open age game you'll have murder here.

It's either a very soft defensive free kick outside the box for the first offence, or penalty and red card (if you give the pen, it has to also be red)
Isn't it a yellow now if penalty?

Isn't it a yellow now if penalty?
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Back