A&H

Continuation of did the player do anything to move hand away........

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
My take on handballs given at the WC was that, if the defender did nothing to prevent the ball hitting the hand, a pen was given (only my opinion based on what i saw, there is nothing I have seen or heard to confirm this)
that said.....be interested for opinions on this one, from a Womens Champ League game in Edinburgh this week....for me, its the same as my WC stance..granted we dont get a great angle on this one, but, has the player really handled that on purpose or even made herself bigger etc?
I think its been flicked onto her arm at close range by the attacker, and, the defender got a yc for her offence too :(

17 secs in..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45121424

The Referee Store
I can understand why the penalty was given - seems a PGSO rather than OGSO as the ball is travelling in that sort of direction - so don't have a problem with that call.

Caution unnecessary however.

For me, its been flicked by the attacker onto the defender, who cant even see the ball, far less be able to put out a arm/hand to stop it. There is cm in it and the arms are exactly where they would expect to be
Without the attackers touch, as much as I dont agree with it, I could understand the pen
But the caution is ludicrous.

Whereas on the other hand I am struggling to understand how

Forget what we saw at the world cup - no official guidance has been issued by ifab that we are to change how we judge handball.

We must ask is this a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with hand or arm?

In my opinion it is not... to close in proximity, no time to react. This is an unexpected ball.

The other worrying thing is, and yes I know folk appeal for anything, but the Glasgow players all appealed, genuine appeals, not those hopeful ones, as if they all knew it had to be a pen.

The handball follows suit to the ones awarded in the WC, hence my reference to it

I had one last week that bounced off the floor and his someone on the point of the elbow, one appeal, one chuckle and play on!

I always thought offside was the most confusing law with handball a distant second. After the world cup, handball is now a very close second. Until they fix the law, these sort of interpretations are expected and will become more frequent.

Caution unnecessary however.
UEFA dictates in their RAP materials that any ball going towards the goal (shot or otherwise) that is handled is to be deemed SPA, and thus cautioned.

Once this is deemed deliberate handling, then the caution is, by UEFA directives, mandatory, especially at this level of play.

UEFA dictates in their RAP materials that any ball going towards the goal (shot or otherwise) that is handled is to be deemed SPA, and thus cautioned.

Once this is deemed deliberate handling, then the caution is, by UEFA directives, mandatory, especially at this level of play.

I understand

as ever, i have an alternative take on that though, and thats that the yellow card must be shown to justify your call, its a back up to your penalty kick and it according to directives, gives weight to your decision to give the pk
However, get the decision correct in the first place, i/e no pen, and the player does not unfairly get cautioned !! In this occasion you are cautioning the defender to collaborate your mistake, not hers !!

On the basis that IFAB have not officially communicated any change to the Law, or it's interpretation, I'll be sticking to my existing assessment of proximity and motion of hand towards the ball when assessing HB. My new peachy LOTG book has not changed since last year's edition (with respect to HB), so I have no plans on revising my interpretation on the basis of inferring Law changes from watching referees apply a virtually silent narrative from FIFA during the WC

On the basis that IFAB have not officially communicated any change to the Law, or it's interpretation, I'll be sticking to my existing assessment of proximity and motion of hand towards the ball when assessing HB. My new peachy LOTG book has not changed since last year's edition (with respect to HB), so I have no plans on revising my interpretation on the basis of inferring Law changes from watching referees apply a virtually silent narrative from FIFA during the WC
This is why we have referee instructors that share the interpretations with the masses.

This is why we have the FIFA considerations (published annually, give or take) that are shared by those instructors with the masses.

It works well (very well) in some places... not so well in others. Unfortuantely.

This is why we have referee instructors that share the interpretations with the masses.

This is why we have the FIFA considerations (published annually, give or take) that are shared by those instructors with the masses.

It works well (very well) in some places... not so well in others. Unfortuantely.

I don't know why people think what was called in the World Cup is a new interpretation from FIFA. It matches up with that UEFA has been pushing in their RAP videos for many years now.

It's hard to say with the footage, but it looks like the arms are tucked into the body, that it struck the arm that was directly in front of the body from a last moment change of direction.......if that's what happened, then this couldn't be more accidental.
I wonder if this referee has heard the instructions of 'sliding to block a ball means no handling is accidental' and misapplied it? Or perhaps the angle has made it look like something else. Who knows.

And in all honesty, I don't see how NOT awarding a PK here would be in the slightest bit inconsistent with anything we've seen in the WC.

Having said that, I don't mind the caution. Remember the caution is a separate decision. Once the foul is given, there's a valid argument for SPA, while there is another defender or two behind, there's also an attacker there.

To be honest, I don't think that SPA here is really dependant upon any new and wild interpretations.

I don't know why people think what was called in the World Cup is a new interpretation from FIFA. It matches up with that UEFA has been pushing in their RAP videos for many years now.
What RAP videos??
I don't understand why guidance is communicated in such a random, inconsistent manner. If the Law has changed or new guidance is released, IFAB should put it in the book or a circular which reaches officials the world over. Otherwise, it's a stupid communication process

Back