A&H

Club Marks: How do I compare?

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone,

I just received my club marks for the first time and I was wondering how I compare to other referees and whether or not I am doing well?

I’m 19 years old and Level 7 going for level 6, for context.

There is an anomaly where a team (who lost 7-2) gave me 35 (the winning team did give me 85). I have had a few 100/100, too.

My average across all of my games so far this season is 88/100 (when the 35 is included) and 93/100 (when the 35 is excluded).

How do you think this comapres to averages?

Thanks a lot, everyone.

The Referee Store
Hi everyone,

I just received my club marks for the first time and I was wondering how I compare to other referees and whether or not I am doing well?

There is an anomaly where a team (who lost 7-2) gave me 35 (the winning team did give me 85). I have had a few 100/100, too.

My average across all of my games so far this season is 88/100 (when the 35 is included) and 93/100 (when the 35 is excluded).

Thanks a lot, everyone.

yeah the numbers alone mean naff all without knowing how you compare to everyone else in the same area / leagues

i'd ask the person who sent you the marks themselves

knowing my average club mark and ranking is of no relevence you yours unfortunately

It's hard to give a general answer as every league will mark differently. The best way of getting an idea of how you're doing is asking the league where you rank, or if they're not happy to tell you that, which quartile you're in (top 25%, 25-50% etc).

Until you get to higher levels and are getting good quality unbiased observations, the only value scores like that have is relative to other similar scores, so you need to find some context if you want to glean any meaning from them.

Yes almost impossible to say. Geographical location and the leagues in which you officiate all have a bearing and the only comparison can be sought from other referees who have been marked from same teams.
Marks of 35, normally, requires an adverse report to accompany it (less than 60 I think is the standard requiring further info) . And that, certainly where I am, would find its way to RDO and calrification/extra support offered.

yeah the numbers alone mean naff all without knowing how you compare to everyone else in the same area / leagues

i'd ask the person who sent you the marks themselves

knowing my average club mark and ranking is of no relevence you yours unfortunately
It's hard to give a general answer as every league will mark differently. The best way of getting an idea of how you're doing is asking the league where you rank, or if they're not happy to tell you that, which quartile you're in (top 25%, 25-50% etc).

Until you get to higher levels and are getting good quality unbiased observations, the only value scores like that have is relative to other similar scores, so you need to find some context if you want to glean any meaning from them.
I see! I’ll ask them now then! Thanks a lot 👍

Yes almost impossible to say. Geographical location and the leagues in which you officiate all have a bearing and the only comparison can be sought from other referees who have been marked from same teams.
Marks of 35, normally, requires an adverse report to accompany it (less than 60 I think is the standard requiring further info) . And that, certainly where I am, would find its way to RDO and calrification/extra support offered.
Yeah I heard similar things about low marks like that, but then I didn’t get one lower than 75 since then and so nothing came of it. Thanks for the info 👍

I would thoroughly recommend ignoring club marks. The number means very little and often will be little to help your development.

I've never been exposed to Club Marks but even so I'm sceptical how such a process can support a referee's performance or development. The different scores from the losing and winning teams are an obvious downfall in the process. I wouldn't get carried away with the 100/100 either - a perfect score like that suggests to me that the teams have ticked the boxes for the sake of filling in the report.

How do you even see club marks? Never seen them in my years of reffing (4-5, mostly juniors) - how do you go about seeing them???

How do you even see club marks? Never seen them in my years of reffing (4-5, mostly juniors) - how do you go about seeing them???

i never saw mine till i got to 4 and they send them to us periodically (the overall average not the indivudual game/team breakdown)

you could ask the league ref secs for the info though

It used to be that RefsSecs weren't allowed to give them out except at the end of each season. I think the freedom of information act put paid to that.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot, everyone.
The only useful bit of info here is that you've done 6 game with club marks ;). The marks themselves... not much use. :)

So.,. After 6 games, was refereeing what you were expecting it to be?

Reactions: ARF
If there’s any real issue with your performances, your RDO or ref secretary for the league will reach out to you. Most clubs see it as an opportunity to vent if a decision goes against them regardless of whether it was correct or not.

I would thoroughly recommend ignoring club marks. The number means very little and often will be little to help your development.

This is probably quite good advice for an individual referee. But for a referee secretary it does provide a useful picture over the course of a season. Other than the referee's level, all they've got to go on is club marks and exception reports from clubs.

I somewhat value Club Marks. Maybe I wouldn't if mine were rubbish! They do strongly influence the appointments we get (in my experience), so they have importance whether we like it or not
But they are an indicator of good overall communication skills, that games are ending with a reasonably safe & fair outcome and without major dramas
BTW, Youth Leagues have considerably higher average club marks that OA equivalents

Last edited:
they're definitely useful (upto a point)

they're a consideration in all L7-3 promotion so knowing how to earn good club marks is an essential refereeing skill and one that you need to pick up early in your career

I've always been reasonably opposed to club marks, the reasons have already been stated in this post.
That doesn't render them useless, particularly when they correlate. A referee getti good marks from both teams, winners and losers regularly suggests doing well.
Similarly, a referee, marked poorly by both clubs , and consistently from different clubs indicates a problem.
As es1 says, you need to know about them and how to get good marks to progress.

We've agreed on this before. Whilst Club Marks are largely a function of how you generally come across to people, you can't Referee with the marks in mind. Excessively safe refereeing and/or failing to sanction when necessary are examples of how the marks will go south
I don't know what my marks are TBH
But I do know what they are without asking. I know that my Sunday League marks must be very good because I'm trusted, whilst my Saturday marks are probably OK but unlikely to be a shining light

Back