Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Pen & Red

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Free Kick & Red

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Seems there are 5 possible decisions (or more!) and votes for all of them. Even with video replays.

This highlights that the football laws are too vague and subjective to be applied in a multi-billion value decision-making environment. Now wonder Xar is troubled!

The Referee Store
I definitely give the foul. The defender to reach over the shoulder is clearly not a football action and no matter how slight the hold and impact is, it's a foul for me. I think football expects a foul to be given here.

In terms of sanction, a slight different argument,
Option one, apply the continued hold into the line which gives just about enough time for second defender to be impactful and create doubt. Award a pen and yellow card.

Option two, don't apply the continued hold, second defender can't impact. DFK and red card.

I'd go with option one. Ref did the same but I'm not sure if for the same reasons.

The only reason for the defender to give a slight pull was to impede the attackers ability to get his shot away by throwing him off balance, which he succeeded in doing, however that didn't make the attackers legs suddenly stop working which is irrelevant tbf. Not enough of a good view to tell if the hold continues into the box so without further info from the AR confirming it was inside the PB DFK and RC. Cannot see why Ref has gone YC here, clear DOGSO.

if we're giving penalties for this we have no cause to complain about players diving/feigning injury making our jobs harder

call it what it is, a simulated fall exaggerating slight contact

if we're giving penalties for this we have no cause to complain about players diving/feigning injury making our jobs harder

call it what it is, a simulated fall exaggerating slight contact
What is your decision based on the clip?

Reactions: one
absolutely not
If you think the tug of the shoulder had no impact on the attacker's run, then fair enough, difference of opinion on a subjective matter. But if you think there was impact in his run but the tug is part of football (i.e, not careless), then I'd say your opinion differs from a lot of other referees (yes that is also an opinion :) )

I was looking for the education videos FIFA/IFAB released at the time yellow DOGSO were made an option. There were a dozen or so examples, with one with a shoulder tug very very similar to this. I couldn't find it. Anyone lese?

I was looking for the education videos FIFA/IFAB released at the time yellow DOGSO were made an option. There were a dozen or so examples, with one with a shoulder tug very very similar to this. I couldn't find it. Anyone lese?
I don’t see how it can possibly be downgraded. Law 12 specifically exempt holding and pulling from possible downgrade to yellow. Only way I see within the Laws to say it is a yellow is to say it isn’t an OGSO, which seems an incredible stretch.

I don’t see how it can possibly be downgraded. Law 12 specifically exempt holding and pulling from possible downgrade to yellow. Only way I see within the Laws to say it is a yellow is to say it isn’t an OGSO, which seems an incredible stretch.
It wasn't. It was an example given of a foul that was not downgraded. My post was in response to another which wasn't considering this a foul.

In that case it was clearly in the area with no other defender nearby.

Back