A&H

Chelsea v Arsenal

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Didn't quite get onto it myself at the time but the back pass from Jorghino which the keeper used his hands to stop a certain goal.

No free kick was given by the referee, im not sure if he played an advantage or not as haven't seen an angle when hes in shot.

If he did play advantage hes got really lucky that Arsenal scored from it.

The Referee Store
i think football absolutely expects this to be penalised

it's a deliberate pass which the keeper picks up

On a related subject. I penalised a GK at the weekend for picking up a ball that was kicked to him. I was shouting, 'DON'T pick it up', but I genuinely accepted that the GK was only hearing 'pick it up'. I certainly won't use that phrase again because of the potential for mishearing. Begs the question, how does everyone else communicate this banana skin with a GK, or are you inclined to say nothing at all and let the GK decide?

I don't think this is a correct decision (the celtic one).
I don't think it's clear that the ball is kicked to the goalkeeper, it's in his general direction for sure, but then any pass towards that area of the pitch is.

On a related subject. I penalised a GK at the weekend for picking up a ball that was kicked to him. I was shouting, 'DON'T pick it up', but I genuinely accepted that the GK was only hearing 'pick it up'. I certainly won't use that phrase again because of the potential for mishearing. Begs the question, how does everyone else communicate this banana skin with a GK, or are you inclined to say nothing at all and let the GK decide?
If he asks reply yes or no.
If he doesn't ask, then don't say anything.
I think there might be 50 pages on this particular subject somewhere lol everyone has a different opinion on how this should be managed.

We normally agree, but not this time!
IMO, the ball was kicked in a defensive direction, but there's no way of knowing if it was kicked to the GK

you're right, i'm sure the defender isnt intending to kick it to the keeper, but it is an intentional kick into the defensive area / towards the keeper so i think it must be penalised once the keeper picks it up

i also gave a one at the weekend too, after shouting dont pick it up and the keeper not hearing!

you're right, i'm sure the defender isnt intending to kick it to the keeper, but it is an intentional kick into the defensive area / towards the keeper so i think it must be penalised once the keeper picks it up

i also gave a one at the weekend too, after shouting dont pick it up and the keeper not hearing!
I am sure we had this recently and I pointed out the language does lend itself to be interpreted both ways.

Ordinarily, like in the Celtic game, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the GK because it's always difficult where 'intent' is concerned

Reactions: es1
I am sure we had this recently and I pointed out the language does lend itself to be interpreted both ways.

yeah you're not wrong, a potential source of match control issues either way, you say something or nothing and it can cause problems

The law says that it is an indirect free kick offence if a goalkeeper:

The only way this could mean that it is still an offence even if the ball was not intended for the goalkeeper, is if you remove the words, "to the goalkeeper."

So if the law said that it is an offence if a goalkeeper "touches the ball with the hand/arm after it has been deliberately kicked by a team mate" then those who think that any deliberate kick, whether intended for the keeper or not, should be penalised, would be right.

However it doesn't say that - it says that the ball must be deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper. I don't think the law could be much clearer as to what it's intent is.

It's also worth noting that this is the way the law has always been interpreted ever since it was introduced in 1992 (except in the US of course where for many years their official guidance was to act as if the words "to the goalkeeper" were not part of the law).

I've said this before but I think there's a phrase that the IFAB used in a circular in 1993 that although it was intended for a slightly different part of the law (circumvention) is highly applicable here.

The phrase was that:

So if we apply this to a "back pass" then the referee has to be convinced that the player's motive in kicking the ball, was to direct it to their goalkeeper.

If that wasn't the player's motive/intent then there is no offence.

You also have to be alert for cases where the player kicks a ball that doesn't necessarily go straight to the keeper, but where you judge that the player's intent was to get it to their keeper nonetheless.
And indeed we did. This is what Mr Grove had to say on the matter...

A referee I observed last week shouted "It's a backpass, 'keeper" - it worked for him

"NOOOOOOO Hands!" is what I've started using, after falling into the exact same trap!

Not a chance is that one in the Celtic game an intentional pass to the keeper, its just a complete miskick that was obviously aiming for the player that passed it to him or one of the defenders.

Back