A&H

Chelsea v Arsenal

On a related subject. I penalised a GK at the weekend for picking up a ball that was kicked to him. I was shouting, 'DON'T pick it up', but I genuinely accepted that the GK was only hearing 'pick it up'. I certainly won't use that phrase again because of the potential for mishearing. Begs the question, how does everyone else communicate this banana skin with a GK, or are you inclined to say nothing at all and let the GK decide?

I've always assumed you shouldn't tell the keeper anything because it sounds like you're coaching him. It looks like I'm in the minority. Is it ok to tell the keeper in advance what your decision would be?

The Referee Store
I've always assumed you shouldn't tell the keeper anything because it sounds like you're coaching him. It looks like I'm in the minority. Is it ok to tell the keeper in advance what your decision would be?
All about game management.
It's definitely not Coaching..
If a player looks like he might commit a foul, I'll say something like "steady" or "watch the arms" or something like that. I'm not coaching him I am setting him up with a Warning, if he continues he can't complain, he'd been warned.
With a "backpass" I'm usually looking for a question, or if they look unclear I might call out that a pick up is okay. I can't think of any discernible reason to not interact with players on things relating to law and whether an offence might or might not be committed by a particular answer.
Finally, so long as its the same for both sides no one will have a problem.

Reactions: one
With comms on, as an AR, I've got used to saying "backpass" whenever there's a backpass, to be totally safe in case the GK picks one up. So, now, as ref, I say backpass to myself whenever there's a a backpass, and I raise my voice if I think that it will help anyone else with match control.

Back