A&H

Open Age Caution for handball

Caution or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like when you see referee's stop play and give an indirect free kick when a player says leave it when talking to a team mate with no opponents near him.

Then when we get "You can't say that ref" you know where it comes from.
I've been out with Level 4s who have done that, and the assessor has actually told them they're correct in doing it. What hope do the rest of us have?!

The Referee Store
@David Sutton I accept if he tried to denied possession then it's left a referee with little option, but from the image that I've portrayed in my head for a ball going out of play that is close, that the player thought was out of play I can't see a caution.
I know what you mean @Jacko that's why I've said the OP lacks the context to deal with this correctly. We will all have a slightly different picture in our heads.

That's what these forums are for.
Assessors are like referees: Some are fantastic, some at least try really hard and some wouldn't know what day of the week it is and don't particularly care to find out. Don't assume somebody knows what they're talking about just because they're holding a clipboard - I could write quite a long list of the utter stupidity I've seen/heard from assessors.
For each piece of advice - whether it's from an assessor, a colleague, online, or even a non referee (seriously, 2 of the best pieces of advice I've received have actually been from team coaches!) - take it on board, consider it, let it simmer, analyse it then draw your own conclusions. somebody tells you something about the law, check it yourself. If it seems to contradict or not sit in the law, or doesn't fit with what you've previously heard, then you need to make a decision - do you throw out the new knowledge or the old? What has the presentor of new knowledge said/done to make you believe that the new knowledge is more valid? If you're finding that conflict in advice, then it's suggesting you need to investigate further, ask more questions, then make your decision.

Make all the right noises to the assessor, but decide later if your best way forward is simply to forget everything he said. But at least consider what was offered and make sure you're making an educated, considered decision in that.

I know what you mean @Jacko that's why I've said the OP lacks the context to deal with this correctly. We will all have a slightly different picture in our heads.

I would think that if no attacker is mentioned then there's no reason at all to assume that he broke up an attack :)

If we're going to make assumptions or extend a question to another possibility, we need to clearly state those.

To further the @CapnBloodbeard Law related comments earlier in the thread... if you are still confused and think caution, consider this:

He's catching the ball (aka deliberately handling) as it is going out for a throw (presumably for his team). By handling the ball deliberately, he's giving the possession to the other team rather than maintaining it for his team.

The _only_ way I'd consider cautioning here (and 95%+ of the time it would only be a consideration) would be if an opponent was challenging him for the ball before it went out of play.

Player caught the ball in Championship match I was at recently.
Attacker challenging for the ball with defender in close proximity, attacker had back to defender.
Attacker caught the ball, fk to defender's side, no caution issued.

Last edited:
I love the difference of opinions (and the odd few saying others are out rightly wrong!) the OP doesn't clearly state details of who's attacking etc. etc. so actually nobody is correct 100% and everyone is guessing and assuming?

although some of you have been making me laugh, and by the sounds of it would claim that even the top referees are wrong - because you say so?

love this forum, so much differing of opinions and thoughts! and god blast FIFA for making so many interpretations!!!

I would most definitely be giving the free kick, maybe a little chat with the offender - reminding him he is on a yellow already and a silly mistake like that could cost him and the team the game!
If it merits a caution, the caution must be administered. Sometimes, we are guilty of letting emotion cloud our judgement and thinking that we're doing the right thing.
brownie points won, both teams happy (1 is still fielding 11, the other has a free kick)
By keeping a player on from Team A when he should be off, punishes Team B and isn't evenhanded treatment. Your assumption is that no one from Team B has noticed your mistake. Both teams deserve to be treated equally.

Quite sad really.....all the people who would rather be mates with the players than just do their job and issue the caution.

If you don't caution there, you won't be cautioning for any handball offence for the rest of the game.....not with any credibility anyway.

And if you're not convinced it's a handball caution....don't forget 'acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game...'

@Padfoot - you mistake being 'friends' with players, and not making a hard life for yourself on a rainy Sunday when its you vs them!

leave the hard ship until you're further up the ladder of success not with the half drunk/slightly hungover builders on a Sunday morning

@Padfoot - you mistake being 'friends' with players, and not making a hard life for yourself on a rainy Sunday when its you vs them!

leave the hard ship until you're further up the ladder of success not with the half drunk/slightly hungover builders on a Sunday morning

Ah right....obviously that's where I'm going wrong....I hadn't realised we were being paid to stroll around the pitch having an easy life....avoiding taking any action that might make things difficult for us.....

clearly it is ... maybe if you relaxed a little whilst refereeing that chip on your shoulder would eventually whittle away ;)

Reactions: Kes
clearly it is ... maybe if you relaxed a little whilst refereeing that chip on your shoulder would eventually whittle away ;)

Yes...then I could be 'last weeks ref' as well.....

No thanks, I'll just carry on doing the job properly and leave the incompetent to hopefully one day realise the grave disservice they do to their colleagues......;)

I love the difference of opinions (and the odd few saying others are out rightly wrong!) the OP doesn't clearly state details of who's attacking etc. etc. so actually nobody is correct 100% and everyone is guessing and assuming?

although some of you have been making me laugh, and by the sounds of it would claim that even the top referees are wrong - because you say so?

love this forum, so much differing of opinions and thoughts! and god blast FIFA for making so many interpretations!!!

I didn't say Championship referee was wrong, just stating what I saw. For what its worth, I wouldn't issue a caution in those circumstances either.

have you ever thought that you are last weeks ref?

yet instead of the ref that was nice and was fair and let the game flow, your 'last weeks ref' that was 'such a pr**k' and a 'right jobs worth' and the one that 'definitely failed his police course'

because ive heard them all lol

Quite sad really.....all the people who would rather be mates with the players than just do their job and issue the caution.

If you don't caution there, you won't be cautioning for any handball offence for the rest of the game.....not with any credibility anyway.

And if you're not convinced it's a handball caution....don't forget 'acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game...'
What utter twaddle. You've outdone yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back