A&H

Caution a coach for not following subs procedure.

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
I'm aware of cautioning a player for entering the FOP without permission, but how about cautioning the coach for trying it on with an illegal sub attempt?

To clarify the scenario further:

Its been brought to my attention that in youth games where they have return subs, sometimes coaches will send players on whilst the ball is in play, and then play up the 'oh I thought it's rolling subs it's fine' sort of excuse.

So, with one eye on how difficult it can be to keep track of return subs, is cautioning the coach an alternative method of trying to stop this? I can only imagine it would fall under 'showing a lack of respect for the game', but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks?

I might ask my RDO as well, as this is something that bugs me.

The Referee Store
I'm aware of cautioning a player for entering the FOP without permission, but how about cautioning the coach for trying it on with an illegal sub attempt?

To clarify the scenario further:

Its been brought to my attention that in youth games where they have return subs, sometimes coaches will send players on whilst the ball is in play, and then play up the 'oh I thought it's rolling subs it's fine' sort of excuse.

So, with one eye on how difficult it can be to keep track of return subs, is cautioning the coach an alternative method of trying to stop this? I can only imagine it would fall under 'showing a lack of respect for the game', but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks?

I might ask my RDO as well, as this is something that bugs me.
Nope.. Nothing you can do in law as its a player offence to enter w/o permission. Caution the player for.coming.on..that should stop the coach if he realise he'll have no team left if he Carries on.

Reactions: one
Ultimately it is the player who has stepped in the field of play without permission so it is the player's offence. Lotg makes the actor accountable not the instructor. As an analogy, if the coach tells players to be more aggressive and physical, a reckless challenge or SFP card is given to the players not the coach.

I can see how this seems unfair at lower age groups as players just follow instructions without thinking.

I can see how this seems unfair at lower age groups as players just follow instructions without thinking.

That was the one issue I was considering. The kids don't know any different, especially U11-13, so coaches pulling a fast one seems to be the order of the day.

Stop the game, bo**ock the coach and tell them that next time it happens the player in question is getting a yellow card. If he chooses to do it again, card the player.

This seem totally reasonable.

Stop the game, bo**ock the coach and tell them that next time it happens the player in question is getting a yellow card. If he chooses to do it again, card the player.

Fair warning!
This is the correct answer. 👏

Fair warning!

I shall do that if it happens in my games. :)

I had a ladies' game where one player went down injured just outside the touchline. I called out "She's off the pitch, she can get treatment, play on". The coach (probably jokingly) said to her "roll on the pitch, he'll have to stop the game". She immediately did so, just as the play moved in her direction. I immediately stopped play and cautioned her. The coach was so embarrassed, and kept apologising to both me and her.

I had a ladies' game where one player went down injured just outside the touchline. I called out "She's off the pitch, she can get treatment, play on". The coach (probably jokingly) said to her "roll on the pitch, he'll have to stop the game". She immediately did so, just as the play moved in her direction. I immediately stopped play and cautioned her. The coach was so embarrassed, and kept apologising to both me and her.
I can see how you think is is a cautionable offence. What reason did you caution for?

For me I would stop play (if not a promising attack) showing concerns for an injured player and get her moved further away from touchline for safety.

Of course there are exceptions when I think a player may be faking/exaggerating injury to kill time. Even then I would try and be in the safe side.

Last edited:

what was the players offence? being injured?

Drop ball as ref stopped play? Unless you speak to coaches at another break eg throw in, fk.

13-2

"free kicks for offences involving a player entering, re-entering or leaving the field of play without permission are taken from the position of the ball when play was stopped."

I have lots of matches at all ages with return subs because we do not use CARs.

With 11v11 unless I know the teams, I will remind the coach/captain that changes have to be in front of the benches, unless play is stopped for an injury and I give permission.

Return subs at the benches is standard and there was some confusion when the “sub off anywhere” law changes. No surprises. Depending on the teams, I might also remind them to be sensible with the subs: only 11 players on the field.

In grassroots, no one like a long speech before the game. So, I keep an eye on the subs. If I get a sniff that a coach is sending subs on early, I’ll warn both benches at the next stoppage.

In reality, in hobby leagues where I am, no one minds a sub jogging on while the player is jogging off, if the ball is dead or play is far away. It’s more important to get on with the game than delay 90 secs at a corner. But you need to be alive if someone tries to abuse return subs to gain an advantage.

In LOTG "failing to cooperate with a match official e.g. ignoring an instruction/request from an assistant referee or the fourth official" is a warning.

You can caution for multiple warnings.

Could you not do so here if it continues?

Back