A&H

Breakaway European League.

The Referee Store
The government could put a stop to this, just introduce legislation that only allows games/competitions affiliated with The FA to take place in England.
That's what they are threatening, I think.
However, this then puts leisure leagues, and soccer zone et Al out of business and probably is not in the spirit of existing competition law.

My take on it, is allow it, but its a clean break. Resign from the leagues etc and off you pop. Do your own thing. It is destined for failure

Me thinks this is a high stakes game of chicken.

Who blinks?

If no one blinks it will create great material for law school classes on sports law and international business . . . and create lots of money for lots of lawyers for many years . .

That's what they are threatening, I think.
However, this then puts leisure leagues, and soccer zone et Al out of business and probably is not in the spirit of existing competition law.

My take on it, is allow it, but its a clean break. Resign from the leagues etc and off you pop. Do your own thing. It is destined for failure
I believe France and Germany already have similar laws.

It would be easy to let soccer zone and the like get around it, just word it appropriately so that it would only apply to professional leagues.

Chelsea are apparently applying to withdraw from the ESL.

Be interesting to see how many need to follow before the whole house of cards falls.

2 more English clubs holding internal talks about withdrawing too apparently

It's falling apart...thank heavens for that

Hopefully it does drive some serious reform at the very top of the game but we should never forgive and forget what these clubs/my club have done

It's falling apart...thank heavens for that

Hopefully it does drive some serious reform at the very top of the game but we should never forgive and forget what these clubs/my club have done

Your "legacy fan" thinking is clearly the problem here.

Why would fan want to see their team having to lower themselves to play against teams like Burnley and Crystal Palace when they could be playing Real Madrid and Barcelona every week?

Ps - <sarcasm mode now back off> (in case anyone bites)

Reactions: es1
Barca out...
Atleti out...
Woodward out...

Viva Pep
Viva Roman

Abramovich has just done more for Russian foreign relations in an afternoon than Vlad has in 12 years.

Planned to leave at the end of the year all along apparently, as if.
Or perhaps he was responsible for the ESL communications "campaign".
Liverpool fans screaming for Liverpool to be "third" and not be last out.

Juventus chairman has resigned as well.

I haven't seen any reporting that he has resigned from Juventus - just that he resigned as the president of the European Club Association (ECA) as the (Not-So) Super League was announced. Talk about being a double agent!

I haven't seen any reporting that he has resigned from Juventus - just that he resigned as the president of the European Club Association (ECA) as the (Not-So) Super League was announced. Talk about being a double agent!

The leader sports writer for the Independent reported he had, butnJuve have apparently strenuously denied it!

You've got to feel for Mark Clattenburg though. He's just lost an even bigger pay day than his desert arc.
The ESL had Clattenburg written all over it, this is the real tragedy of the situation.😢
On a serious note, I hope the football community can come together to change football ownership for the better (maybe some 50+1 legislation) and, at the very least, the odious characters responsible for this will be gone forever. I can’t see Perez returning after all he’s said.

Back