A&H

Bayer Leverkusen Red Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial reaction was it was one of those challenges that makes no attempt whatsoever to play the ball, and we are increasingly seeing that these are sanctioned with a red card. Not sure whether that was the view of the referee, or more likely AR / 4th official who was in his ear, or whether they mistakenly though the high foot had made serious contact.

The Referee Store
It was definitely a call by AR or 4th. Willie originally starts going to his right shorts pocket for yellow right after the initial whistle then stops.

I watched the full game live, after the red is issued a couple of players complain and as he is explaining the decision he points towards he points towards the ear piece a few times and the players then seemed to accept it.

It's an insane challenge, out of control, studs showing, off the ground, and there's contact. The player has massively messed up here, got off balance and then gone in with a crazy lunge.

You can microscopically quibble about where the contact is.

I don't think you need leg breaking contact here. Any contact is enough. All the signs are flashing red. I am quite happy with a red card here.

No strong objection to a red here. Would be fine with a caution, but there is some contact up the leg. Classic orange card for me, and I don’t think there is a clear and obvious error (knowing VAR isn’t used in this game) showing a red.

It's an insane challenge, out of control, studs showing, off the ground, and there's contact. The player has massively messed up here, got off balance and then gone in with a crazy lunge.

I don't think you need leg breaking contact here. Any contact is enough. All the signs are flashing red. I am quite happy with a red card here.
It's not a "crazy lunge" - as the player's losing balance he's stuck out a leg and tripped the opponent. The studs are facing away from the opponent, the player is on the ground, and the contact is shin on shin.

1. Not off the ground.
2. it's not "studs showing". The attacker is completely side on to the defender's studs
3. Not a lunge

You've seen things that aren't there. You'd literally have 3 red cards a match if you're RCing for this.

This challenge is the very definition of a YC challenge

1. Not off the ground.
2. it's not "studs showing". The attacker is completely side on to the defender's studs
3. Not a lunge

You've seen things that aren't there. You'd literally have 3 red cards a match if you're RCing for this.

This challenge is the very definition of a YC challenge
There's already a pic in #4 but here it is again...

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 13.13.28.png

Are you watching a different clip?

"Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force

***and/or endangers the safety of an opponent***

and must be sent off"

I think a RC is fine here.

i can see visually from this camera angle why you may think so, but i dont agree.

i think it's a trip with his leg / shin. the studs up element is more a function of how he reaches for the man / ball and i dont think he endangers the opponent by 'lunging' in this way

There's already a pic in #4 but here it is again...

View attachment 4657

Are you watching a different clip?

Thank you for uploading a pic to prove everything I said was correct.

You don't actually think this is what "studs up" means do you?... studs being visible to anyone at any time? Becuase that make EVERY sliding tacle ever a red card

Reactions: es1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back