A&H

Badges

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
Right .. age old debate ..

I have read all the forums on here regarding badges but no one has given a definitive answer ..

I have a County Cup Final tomorrow.. I have a ref top with a FAMOA badge on the left breast pocket (permanent). Where should I put my county badge? Over the top of FAMOA or on right breast pocket and have both?

Is there a nailed on .. you should do this, or is it up to opinion and preference?

Thanks

The Referee Store
My County FA (Berks and Bucks) asks for both to be displayed.

Most counties will have what they want on their rules page on the website, but I would assume it would be very similar from county to county.

I have read all the forums on here regarding badges but no one has given a definitive answer ..

I have a County Cup Final tomorrow.. I have a ref top with a FAMOA badge on the left breast pocket (permanent). Where should I put my county badge? Over the top of FAMOA or on right breast pocket and have both?

Is there a nailed on .. you should do this, or is it up to opinion and preference?

Thanks
CFA's usually require their badge be worn for finals, so as long as that is done I don't think they would worry about your FA badge also being worn.
Enjoy the game, and don't worry about tbe badge situation.

Not aware of any rules concerning badges for either of the County FAs I work for. FAMOA badge is nationally accepted and your County badge is naturally expected to be worn in a cup final so wear both.

Not aware of any rules concerning badges for either of the County FAs I work for. FAMOA badge is nationally accepted and your County badge is naturally expected to be worn in a cup final so wear both.
Hearing that is going to change...

Apparently .... And it's only apparently, the FAMOA badge will be reserved for L4 and L3 and 7-5 will wear a county badge.
That's a motivation to get to 4 ;)

I do think that creates a problem for referees who may be operating across 2 CFAs due to things such as university and work.

I don't like the stick on badges, prefer decal generally, so would be a greater cost in that instance.

Apparently .... And it's only apparently, the FAMOA badge will be reserved for L4 and L3 and 7-5 will wear a county badge.
So back to somethings similar to what it was in the 1990's....
Panel & Contrib officials wore the league badge for their matches and most referees wore the RA badge for grassroots football. The County badge was for county cup matches.

Let’s not forget the god awful RA kit that had the logo printed on the material.
Come on, own up! Who else owned that kit? 🤣

Just move up to Scotland… we all wear the same badge at all levels… well apart from FIFA officials who get to wear their white badge!

Be interesting to see how that would work. All of my shirts only have the FAMOA badge, would referees at L5 and below be expected to buy new shirts that didn't have the FAMOA badge? Would anyone actually police it, e.g. who would know / care if I was out wearing a FAMOA badge that I'm technically not entitled to wear?

The phrase if it ain't broke don't try to fix it springs to mind here. Especially during a cost of living crisis, forcing referees to buy new kit just to meet a new policy decision would be an extraordinary own goal, even for the FA's standards.

Be interesting to see how that would work. All of my shirts only have the FAMOA badge, would referees at L5 and below be expected to buy new shirts that didn't have the FAMOA badge? Would anyone actually police it, e.g. who would know / care if I was out wearing a FAMOA badge that I'm technically not entitled to wear?

The phrase if it ain't broke don't try to fix it springs to mind here. Especially during a cost of living crisis, forcing referees to buy new kit just to meet a new policy decision would be an extraordinary own goal, even for the FA's standards.
Only what I heard at the weekend. Unconfirmed from an official source.

What an utterly ridiculous idea. Considering that the FA Referee Store are still selling kit with the FAMOA badge on, would they offer refunds to L5s and below who had spent a lot of money on shirts that they were no longer allowed to wear? As for attempting to enforce such a stupid rule, it would be amusing to see County FAs having to charge the majority of their registered referees, suspending and/or fining them and then seeing them all quit.

Well, you could be in my shoes. By the end of this week, I will have worn five different badges since October.
  • US Soccer federation badge (club matches)
  • Boys high school association badge
  • Girls high school association badge
  • NISOA collegiate badge
  • ECSR collegiate badge.
Had I been on the field for the semi-pro indoor league game I assisted on last week, it would have been an even half-dozen badges.

Same applies to referees moving county... I moved house last year and changed county affiliation, but all my shirts have my old county FA badge on. No eyelids batted yet! If the new country FA want me to wear their badge they are welcome to buy me a new shirt... otherwise it'll have to wait until I need one.

Thanks
I put one on one side, one on the other.

Back