A&H

Australian A-League Grand Final

WiisardNic

I'm looking for video footage online to post for those who aren't watching, but starting to be a bit of controversy over a goal disallowed by VAR, applying this law in bold:

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

For anyone who does happen to be watching, thoughts?

The Referee Store
What do think of the penalty appeal on 28th minute? There was a clip. I have seen softer ones given but the attacker went down very easy. VAR did right not to ask for review.

Offside for me. Keeper reacted a tad too late due to offside player blocking his view. There were other factors too (I think there was a deflectiin.) But I am confident had the offside player not been there the keeper would have saved it.

This link might work or it could be geo-blocked. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vid...ty-s-grand-final-goal?playlist=twg-recommends
Ah, of course, why didn't I think of checking The World Game smh

I agree with you though. It was one of those goals where when I saw the VAR Check come up during the replays, I was wondering what for, but as soon as they showed the footage from behind the goal, I knew exactly what was up. It's something that I think if it went either way, it's understandable, but by law, 100% correct call made in the end.

What do think of the penalty appeal on 28th minute? There was a clip. I have seen softer ones given but the attacker went down very easy. VAR did right not to ask for review.
Yeah, on first view live I said no. On first replay I said yes (because in that situation, I usually look for hands/arms in the back as the main culprit), but then next replay, just looked like ALF stopped in his tracks while the ball went deep.

EDIT: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vid...urious-penalty-denial?playlist=twg-recommends

Replay of the penalty added if it isn't geo-blocked

Goal overturned: yes, the offside player partly obscures the goalkeeper's vision. Right to send it for a field check, fair to call it for the textbook example reason.

PK refused: very soft if anything, the attacker goes down easily from incidental contact. Fair to say play on. Not a clear and obvious error, right not to send for review.

Second yellow for Grant for the shirt over head celebration? He seemed to realise and tried to get it back down pretty quickly.
Yes, that was another one that I was a bit surprised with. Maybe because he brought it back down quickly, and the referee knew it would be a second yellow, he turned a blind eye..

Back