RefSix

Australian A-League Grand Final

WiisardNic

Level 4 Referee
I'm looking for video footage online to post for those who aren't watching, but starting to be a bit of controversy over a goal disallowed by VAR, applying this law in bold:

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

For anyone who does happen to be watching, thoughts?

one

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
What do think of the penalty appeal on 28th minute? There was a clip. I have seen softer ones given but the attacker went down very easy. VAR did right not to ask for review.

WiisardNic

Level 4 Referee
Offside for me. Keeper reacted a tad too late due to offside player blocking his view. There were other factors too (I think there was a deflectiin.) But I am confident had the offside player not been there the keeper would have saved it.

This link might work or it could be geo-blocked. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vid...ty-s-grand-final-goal?playlist=twg-recommends
Ah, of course, why didn't I think of checking The World Game smh

I agree with you though. It was one of those goals where when I saw the VAR Check come up during the replays, I was wondering what for, but as soon as they showed the footage from behind the goal, I knew exactly what was up. It's something that I think if it went either way, it's understandable, but by law, 100% correct call made in the end.

What do think of the penalty appeal on 28th minute? There was a clip. I have seen softer ones given but the attacker went down very easy. VAR did right not to ask for review.
Yeah, on first view live I said no. On first replay I said yes (because in that situation, I usually look for hands/arms in the back as the main culprit), but then next replay, just looked like ALF stopped in his tracks while the ball went deep.

EDIT: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/vid...urious-penalty-denial?playlist=twg-recommends

Replay of the penalty added if it isn't geo-blocked

Nij

Goal overturned: yes, the offside player partly obscures the goalkeeper's vision. Right to send it for a field check, fair to call it for the textbook example reason.

PK refused: very soft if anything, the attacker goes down easily from incidental contact. Fair to say play on. Not a clear and obvious error, right not to send for review.

lethal14

Level 4 Referee
Second yellow for Grant for the shirt over head celebration? He seemed to realise and tried to get it back down pretty quickly.

WiisardNic

Level 4 Referee
Second yellow for Grant for the shirt over head celebration? He seemed to realise and tried to get it back down pretty quickly.
Yes, that was another one that I was a bit surprised with. Maybe because he brought it back down quickly, and the referee knew it would be a second yellow, he turned a blind eye..