The Ref Stop

Atletico vs Lille

WillH

Level 7 Referee
Anyone able to explain this one?. Ever so slightly confused how theyve not overturned the penalty given to lille

Looks like a major major error from VAR

The Ref Stop
It is funny when you see English fans saying we got the worst officials and then you see clips like this. It's just an lazy narrative which is not true. That said, given how few English referees get given UEFA games, it does baffle me why when decisions like this on the field and no doubt there be no punishment and will reffing another UEFA game soon enough.

Anyone able to explain this one?. Ever so slightly confused how theyve not overturned the penalty given to lille

Looks like a major major error from VAR
I think the error was from the person who appointed the VAR. They mistakingly appointed a player instead of a referee to do the VAR role.

It is funny when you see English fans saying we got the worst officials and then you see clips like this. It's just a lazy narrative which is not true. That said, given how few English referees get given UEFA games, it does baffle me why when decisions like this on the field and no doubt there be no punishment and will reffing another UEFA game soon enough.
Plenty of English referees get UEFA games. Taylor & Oliver with mostly cover CL, then the likes of Attwell, Kavanagh, Jones & Pawson will do EL and Conference League

Not even just VAR, I'm quite shocked how on earth the ref even gave it in real time, but then for VAR to do nothing is utterly bizarre.

Has he given it for handball? On the wide angle as the ball comes down it looks like it brushes the arm of the defender. (Very debatable if it would count as a punishable handball offence)

After he signals for the penalty he raises his right arm as if he is signalling for handball.

Plenty of English referees get UEFA games. Taylor & Oliver with mostly cover CL, then the likes of Attwell, Kavanagh, Jones & Pawson will do EL and Conference League

When was the last time Attwell did a UEFA game on the field? They just stick him in VAR and that's it.

And as for the others in the list it's usually just one of them per round that get either a Europa league or conference league game. I'm sure other countries are better represented or it feels that way.

It's so bad, the media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner.
At least that's one less rant I don't need to have 🤬

When was the last time Attwell did a UEFA game on the field? They just stick him in VAR and that's it.

And as for the others in the list it's usually just one of them per round that get either a Europa league or conference league game. I'm sure other countries are better represented or it feels that way.
He did one a couple of months back.

Bear in mind that a lot of the referees will stay in packs when they travel abroad.

Back