A&H

Arsen Liv

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Uh oh
Mane is is offside but does not become active. Firminio takes the ball.
Then he is onside when Firminio shoots. But the lino is now 10 yards behind.

It’s a good goal!

#robbed
Bring on VAR!

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Andre is not giving anything!
My thoughts exactly. It's consistent to both sides, but there have been some clear pushes in the last few minutes he's missed, and he spent 10 minutes earlier on where he seemed to have no problem with players kicking the heels of others who are trying to shield the ball.

There have also been two very interesting GK incidents, one at each end. Both clear fouls, penalties not given.

Allison wiped out Mitacondrian and failed to get anything on the ball. The Arsen GK just nailed Virgil and slapped his face, nothing on the ball and Virgil’s header came back off yhe post.

If a GK does this outside the box, easy DFK. If a player does this anywhere, easy DFK. But GKs in the box get away with murder, and have done here IMHO.

My thoughts exactly. It's consistent to both sides, but there have been some clear pushes in the last few minutes he's missed, and he spent 10 minutes earlier on where he seemed to have no problem with players kicking the heels of others who are trying to shield the ball.
He’s also failing to protect the flair players.

Looking at Leno on Virgil again. So blatant. Ball is in play.

https://streamable.com/kycat

Goal was definitely onside.

AR was 5 yards behind play - the defender he was in line with suddenly moved upfield, AR sidestepped to stay level thus was heading UPFIELD when the ball was kicked, meaning he couldn't keep up.

Difficult situation - the AR had to make that step.

Any argument for saying that by running close to the ball it qualifies as impacting the keeper?

Last edited:
Reactions: one
https://streamable.com/kycat

Goal was definitely onside.

AR was 5 yards behind play - the defender he was in line with suddenly moved upfield, AR sidestepped to stay level thus was heading UPFIELD when the ball was kicked, meaning he couldn't keep up.

Difficult situation - the AR had to make that step.

Any argument for saying that by running close to the ball it qualifies as impacting the keeper?
No

Why not? I mean, IFAB did relax the definition on this....

I don't think it is, but I also can't really provide an argument. I can easily argue that distracting a defender is not an issue (defender tracking a PIOP is the defender's problem), but I'm not entirely certain where it stands with the keeper these days given the interpretation/law change a season or 2 ago

Why not? I mean, IFAB did relax the definition on this....

I don't think it is, but I also can't really provide an argument. I can easily argue that distracting a defender is not an issue (defender tracking a PIOP is the defender's problem), but I'm not entirely certain where it stands with the keeper these days given the interpretation/law change a season or 2 ago
Because in my opinion in this instance the keeper was not impacted. As far as the wording of the law this is what it says.
1541306729022.png

The word 'close' eliminates the first condition for me. The closest he came to the ball (in his PIAOP phase) was a good two meters away.
'ability to play the ball' eliminates the second one.

Mané did nothing that could be interpreted as interfering with an opponent under the current definitions.

Here's the relevant portions of the law:
• interfering with an opponent by:
• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
• challenging an opponent for the ball or clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
• making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
[...]
In situations where:
• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball;

Mané did none of these things at the relevant time, so there's no offside offence for me.

There have also been two very interesting GK incidents, one at each end. Both clear fouls, penalties not given.

Allison wiped out Mitacondrian and failed to get anything on the ball. The Arsen GK just nailed Virgil and slapped his face, nothing on the ball and Virgil’s header came back off yhe post.

If a GK does this outside the box, easy DFK. If a player does this anywhere, easy DFK. But GKs in the box get away with murder, and have done here IMHO.

I absolutely agree with this. It doesn't even get a mention from the commentators.

I absolutely agree with this. It doesn't even get a mention from the commentators.

Expected decisions, no one expects penalties there even though they were technically fouls. They will only get given as penalties if all referees are instructed to give them, a PL referee isn't going to stick his head above the parapet and give these as it will get shot off. Same as when the attacker gets his shot away and is then taking out by the keeper, they are only ever given if there is a chance he would have got to the ball before it went out.

Expected decisions, no one expects penalties there even though they were technically fouls. They will only get given as penalties if all referees are instructed to give them, a PL referee isn't going to stick his head above the parapet and give these as it will get shot off. Same as when the attacker gets his shot away and is then taking out by the keeper, they are only ever given if there is a chance he would have got to the ball before it went out.

They have a box at the entrance to PGMOL headquarters.....the elite referees are required to place their integrity and adherence to the LOTG in it before collecting their Premier League slave collar from the next box along.......

They have a box at the entrance to PGMOL headquarters.....the elite referees are required to place their integrity and adherence to the LOTG in it before collecting their Premier League slave collar from the next box along.......

Must be a lot of boxes in a lot of places then, as I'd be surprised to see these given in a contrib or even supply league game ….

Questioning the integrity of top level referees perhaps not the most sensible thing to do on a refereeing forum … :redcard:

Back