A&H

Another efl referee error

Attempted to watch the incident in full on MOAS but the referee isn't in view when the foul is initially committed and then camera follows the celebrating players once the goal is scored. It's interesting to note which hand the referee whistles with, where he keeps his cards and his approach (movement wise) to the foul location.

This is a clip that will be used as training footage from basic referee courses to senior referee conferences for some years.

The Referee Store
I'd never argue with Peter on matter of law, who would. I know you're right.
However we can alternatively artue that no player is cautioned according to any procedure as long as flash cards are accepted.
Laws haven't kept up with the game at all.

I'd never argue with Peter on matter of law, who would. I know you're right.
However we can alternatively artue that no player is cautioned according to any procedure as long as flash cards are accepted.
Laws haven't kept up with the game at all.
The laws don’t prescribe a procedure for cautioning/dismissing beyond yellow and red cards indicating them and I’m not entirely sure they ever have.

The fascination around ‘flashing’ cards and an elongated procedure is a particularly English thing that is now moving towards being consigned to the bin.

The laws don’t prescribe a procedure for cautioning/dismissing beyond yellow and red cards indicating them and I’m not entirely sure they ever have.
indeed, yellow and red cards were in use for decades before the Laws even acknowledged they existed. And whistles were around even longer before the word whistle appeared in the Laws. (IIRC, whistle and card appeared for the first time in the Laws in the same year.)

Is there a different angle of the incident from the clip posted by @DJIC ? Because on that one, the referee is masked by a player and I can't tell if he's actually taken his card out or was still just reaching for it.

He's got the Yellow Card in hand as the FK is being taken from totally the wrong place.

1696502371854.png

Reading the report in Kent Online - Gillingham Manager Neil Harris (he of Millwall career) spoke extremely well:

“The letter of the law is that he can put his hand on the ball and then play it, I said to the referee ‘that’s the letter of the law, however, your actions as a referee with the whistle and with the card, and with the gesture to book the player makes it clear to everyone in the ground that you’re going to book a player.

“‘You allow them to take a quick free-kick, six or seven yards further forward from where it was given away, but I am not going to dispute that, but his body language and his demeanour has made our team stop and think it’s a yellow card.

“I said that is taking the decision out of the game, he then has to bring it back, I spoke to him, he understands that, he needs to see it again and discuss it with his coaches."

Back