The Ref Stop

All refs to face fitness tests?

But the person has to want to learn - if that’s the problem. Not all referees who can’t be bothered have terrible LOTG knowledge. Some do a reasonable job. Some are good referees on the FOP, they just don’t want the extra bits.
If they don’t want to sit a test how do we get them to do it? 55% didn’t attend a free evening so what are the chances they’ll do a LOTG test?
If the CFA aren’t going to take away registration if people don’t take the test where’s the incentive to do it? If they are going to then some people won’t bother and we’ll lose them.
We have problems at grass roots with people not wanting to do things - county cup appointments used to be an honour, but now they’re a pita and now no one wants to do them. Lines on finals used to be appreciated but last season I did a line on 4 out of 6 games because no one else would do them even though there is a match fee.
By all means aim to improve knowledge but you need to work out how to do it without potentially losing thousands of referees. The grass roots game is dying on its feet anyway without taking away loads of officials.
I get where you're coming from, but it sounds like you've got it bad with your League......
My local Sunday Leagues are nothing like that. My Senior County League is a headache for the Committee, but again, the bunch of Refs are not as difficult to shepherd as your lot
Anyway, my point is that we should always be looking to continually improve standards, one way or another

Last edited:
The Ref Stop
But the person has to want to learn - if that’s the problem. Not all referees who can’t be bothered have terrible LOTG knowledge. Some do a reasonable job. Some are good referees on the FOP, they just don’t want the extra bits.
If they don’t want to sit a test how do we get them to do it? 55% didn’t attend a free evening so what are the chances they’ll do a LOTG test?
If the CFA aren’t going to take away registration if people don’t take the test where’s the incentive to do it? If they are going to then some people won’t bother and we’ll lose them.
We have problems at grass roots with people not wanting to do things - county cup appointments used to be an honour, but now they’re a pita and now no one wants to do them. Lines on finals used to be appreciated but last season I did a line on 4 out of 6 games because no one else would do them even though there is a match fee.
By all means aim to improve knowledge but you need to work out how to do it without potentially losing thousands of referees. The grass roots game is dying on its feet anyway without taking away loads of officials.
Can’t get much easier than allowing Referees/Observers to undertake LotG test encouraging them to have the IFAB laws at their finger-tips.

Could you have something like a 5A & 5B, 6A & 6B etc pay a higher referee fee or end of season bonus for those referees who do take CPD type LOTG test?

I do agree it feels wrong to take match fee as a qualified referee when actually you are not qualified to current standards, but we cannot lose any referees……

Could you have something like a 5A & 5B, 6A & 6B etc pay a higher referee fee or end of season bonus for those referees who do take CPD type LOTG test?

I do agree it feels wrong to take match fee as a qualified referee when actually you are not qualified to current standards, but we cannot lose any referees……
I like 5a & 5b and 6a and 6b. I don't think there should be any difference between the two other than one has taken and passed an online LOTG questionnaire and the other hasn't, that would keep cost low and access high.

I think the questions on this test should be fixed, thought about carefully and geared towards the typical grassroots scenarios that real level 7 and 6s will encounter. Nothing too fancy, and just encourage people to dust off the app/book.

No money incentive, or anything as you might encourage people to leave the game if you start making them feel like a second class ref.

I think having the questions the same for all would promote discussion, and just generally get referees engaged.

As it is uncommon to have some of the old and bold who qualified as a ref 20 odd years ago and the only engagement they have with the FA is their yearly subscription fee, which may even renew automatically.

I can see why you would consider having 5A, 5B etc, but I don’t think that will happen, especially since from this season there is no longer a L2B, so all levels are 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7 for adult Referees in the men’s game. I also don’t think anyone should be paid a bonus for doing something that they should be doing as part of their role as a qualified Referee. If a Referee can’t be bothered to take a LotG test with the answers being virtually handed to them on a plate, selecting an answer from 4 possibles as well as being able to look up the answers in the laws of the game which is available free on an App, then imho they don’t deserve to be a Referee and clubs shouldn’t have to have them. However, we would lose some Referees and the reason for not currently having a LotG Test for L5’s at least is perhaps because of this fear factor of losing some/many.

Back