A&H

Abandoned Game

these mass brawls die down, nobody can plan for them,
Really ? in my experience, once the red mist sets in with the player.s the rest of the game is on a knife edge. Any small incident can flare it up again. In particular the guilty parties, if they haven't been handled well in the first place

The Referee Store
Really ? in my experience, once the red mist sets in with the player.s the rest of the game is on a knife edge. Any small incident can flare it up again. In particular the guilty parties, if they haven't been handled well in the first place

I meant the actual mass brawl itself. Simply, the mass brawl. It fizzles out.

not anything that may follow it.

soooooo...assuming it was a push to the chest (just like the one Di Canio did, but on a player)..would you class that as YC or RC ?
Not sure it's a good example to use because Alcock went down in comical stages 🤣

Some decisions are black and white but context has a lot to do with many other decisions. You can't isolate two incidents from two different games (in these type of decisions) and compare them to each other.

I haven't seen the push in the OP but if I ever send someone off for an aggressive push and consider it violent, it would be something similar to the OP context (or worse). I can also see myself not sending off in many other contexts.

I haven't seen the push in the OP but if I ever send someone off for an aggressive push and consider it violent, it would be something similar to the OP context (or worse). I can also see myself not sending off in many other contexts.

I've sent a player off for it before.

Like you say though, context was everything.

In this particular instance, I'd stopped play by blowing for a free kick and a reckless challenge. The two players involved then indulged in a spot of "handbags" as we often call it, whereupon another player sprinted in from around 35 yards away, and at full tilt shoved the opponent in the chest which sent him flying backwards a good 4-5 feet. (Turns out the team mate who'd been fouled and was now "handbagging" it with the challenger was his younger brother ;)).

The reaction of the other players and the "violence" involved in the push gave me no choice but to pull out the red. :cool:

Exactly, context is everything.

For example yesterday I was doing U14 boys. The green keeper had come out and picked up the ball to break up an attack, then I saw a green defender push the red striker. It wasn't violent but equally so no place for it in the game. I gave a yellow card to the green player, everyone in the ground accepted it. Different context, different card colour.

I have every sympathy and well done for abandoning.

With the GK jersey and the second ball. Have a think about how you are approaching these situations and the dynamic between you and the player. What role are you playing: friend, advisor, authority, something else?

Same with the coaches before the game, what role do you take, what are they taking away?

I am all about “no surprises”. But I’m also smiling and polite with any trivial stuff. In the game, in play, different matter.

Glad you're okay @refeire and totally support the abandonment here.

There's some great advice above so I won't go back over old ground, but I will say that it's important to reflect on the game as you are doing and ask yourself "is there anything I could have done differently?" (in this case perhaps a caution for the early reckless challenge?) Flare ups can sometimes come out of nowhere as we all know, so it may be that the answer is no, in which case chalk it down to a bad day, write your reports and move on. If the answer to that question is yes, take it as a learning point and put it into practice next time you're on the field.

I'm very glad to have stumbled upon this forum. The support has been excellent, going forward hopefully I can also be of help with some things for others.
@Matthew you are correct, "the best cure is prevention" as they say. Sometimes these things happen out of the blue but sometimes they are the result of something that has been simmering and everything is on a knife edge waiting for the perfect moment to explode.

I would stand there and watch. Get your pen out and write numbers if you can. You’re a referee, not a police officer. I’d blow whistle loudly 3/4 times. Then stand back and keep your distance. You can deal with it once it has calmed down.
This was something out RDO taught us on our training course (though I’ve not actually had to do it so can’t advise on its effectiveness). Blow the whilste, step back and get your notepad out. The moment you see something, take the number, worry about the names later.

I'm very glad to have stumbled upon this forum. The support has been excellent, going forward hopefully I can also be of help with some things for others.
@Matthew you are correct, "the best cure is prevention" as they say. Sometimes these things happen out of the blue but sometimes they are the result of something that has been simmering and everything is on a knife edge waiting for the perfect moment to explode.
The best referees are the ones that anaylise their own performances and look for advice and improvements. It's the ones that don't care that don't improve. Just make sure you don't beat yourself up too much, if things haven't gone too well (we all do it !). Keep it going, buddy !

With the GK jersey and the second ball. Have a think about how you are approaching these situations and the dynamic between you and the player. What role are you playing: friend, advisor, authority, something else?

Same with the coaches before the game, what role do you take, what are they taking away?

I am all about “no surprises”. But I’m also smiling and polite with any trivial stuff. In the game, in play, different matter.
This is good advice I think. When we're nervous or anxious that can often come across - and sometimes we over compensate by, for example, using a more strident tone than necessary, or sounding too much like we're telling rather than asking (when asking would get better results). Treating players like adults (especially younger ones) can be hard sometimes, but to an extent you do have to take them with you.

In the same vein, one's advice from the previous page (#31) about talking to captains - and players more generally - is sound. Giving permission for them to talk (not shout) at you first can be a great tool for getting them to listen.

Back