A&H

A U18 girls' player kicked me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
For me, the possible justification for abandoning despite you personally feeling ok to continue after an 'assault' is NOT to ensure a stricter punishment for that one player but to protect other (potentially less 'strong minded') referees from facing the same behaviour. Difficult, because on the one hand you have a responsibility to the other 21 players who are there to play a game but on the other you have a clear opportunity to demonstrate to all present that this type of behaviour is utterly unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Each case on its own merits for me ...

Not our job to protect next weeks referee....that's what the CFA is there for.

By advocating, and practising, the principle of abandoning on principle, you are making it very easy for the CFA's to neglect their duty of care towards referees.
They will simply use your abandonment as justification to stick an extra game or two on top of the punishment......not because a referee got assaulted, but because the game was abandoned.

They should be increasing the punishment because an official got assaulted regardless of whether the game was abandoned or not.......but they don't.

Maybe instead of punishing 21 other players referees need to be asking questions of their CFA when they don't support referees in these circumstances?

But that won't happen because referees are **** scared about upsetting their CFA and will just bend over and take whatever is dished out in case it affects their promotion!

Reactions: Kes
You're not abandoning on principle. You have been assaulted. You seem to be forgetting that bit.

Not our job to protect next weeks referee....that's what the CFA is there for.
Jobsworth :).

Not our official responsibility just a moral imperative. With all the rest of the world against us, if we don't stick up for fellow referees then who on earth will?! Tthe CFA's can only do so much .. 30,000 referees could be a much more powerful force for good IF we could all speak with one voice :rolleyes:

If I'm assaulted, do I honestly care about the other 21 players? Not at all. I'm not there to have that happen. Does a game of football getting stopped ruin their day, probably yes. Certainly its going to effect me alot more than just be a bit annoyed I didnt get to kick a pigs skin around for 90 minutes.

You're not abandoning on principle. You have been assaulted. You seem to be forgetting that bit.

You've been kicked on the shin by a petulant teenage girl.......keep a sense of perspective!

If you've just been headbutted by the 6'5 centre half on a Sunday morning.....you're probably not going to be in any state to continue.......however if you've just been pushed in the chest by the 5'4 winger, you might be perfectly able to continue after having dealt with the offender?

But what you're advocating is to treat both situations the same and abandon. And you accuse me of seeing things only in black and white?

If I'm assaulted, do I honestly care about the other 21 players? Not at all. I'm not there to have that happen. Does a game of football getting stopped ruin their day, probably yes. Certainly its going to effect me alot more than just be a bit annoyed I didnt get to kick a pigs skin around for 90 minutes.

The game isn't all about you!

Would you abandon a game if one player assaulted another player?

Do you abandon after every S2 offence?

Same principle....a participant has been assaulted.....

Reactions: DB
The game isn't all about you!

Would you abandon a game if one player assaulted another player?

Do you abandon after every S2 offence?

Same principle....a participant has been assaulted.....

My well being is much more important than a game. If a player was assaulted and decided he didnt want to carry on playing then I'm not there to judge them or tell them that is the wrong decision. Its the same principle.

Good on you for being a real man and letting someone belt you one and you carry on, you must be well 'ard. ;)

If a Premier League referee was to get struck, pushed or whatever... Would they abandon that game?

@davidbartlam as has been mentioned before a premier league referee isn't alone on a field in the middle of nowhere.

I had my cards struck out of my hand on Boxing Day, would I abandon? Absolutely not!

I've been pushed before, did I abandon? No. It depends completely on the severity, the situation and how far you are willing to go.

Personally, I don't believe my CFA do enough to protect referees; the bans they give out are often rather low and in my opinion, do not match the crime..

I had a guy on boxing day "Ref, you **** (rhymes with bunt), ****. ****, ****, you going to send me off now? ****, ****, ****" and so he continued until he left the field. He got a 2 game ban! Is that a deterrant? I don't think so.

Mass brawl a few months ago, Players were sent off... the few involved got 1-3 match bans and the clubs fined (£500). Will the players learn or be deterred by that ban? Nope

I think the decision to abandon a game completely depends on your character as a referee and how easy it is to push you out of your comfort zone.... Or of course how much of a hit you can take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
I had a guy on boxing day "Ref, you **** (rhymes with bunt), ****. ****, ****, you going to send me off now? ****, ****, ****" and so he continued until he left the field. He got a 2 game ban! Is that a deterrant? I don't think so.

Ain't this the truth.
Number of times I've had a player hurl expletives my way for a full minute after being sent off, just for county to throw a token extra match onto the suspension (SOMETIMES NOT EVEN THAT!!!)

My well being is much more important than a game. If a player was assaulted and decided he didnt want to carry on playing then I'm not there to judge them or tell them that is the wrong decision. Its the same principle.

Good on you for being a real man and letting someone belt you one and you carry on, you must be well 'ard. ;)

No, I'm not saying you should continue if you feel physically or mentally incapable of continuing.

What I'm saying is that if you are fine to continue but you abandon just because you believe that by doing so the perpetrator will get an increased punishment then you should be abandoning when any participant is assaulted. That would be the same principle.

@davidbartlam as has been mentioned before a premier league referee isn't alone on a field in the middle of nowhere.

Exactly Mac, it's all about perspective like Padfoot said. A teenage girl knocked you on the shin and you think that not abandoning the match makes you "well ard". :rolleyes:
Here's some more perspective for you mate: Abandoning a football match after a petulant girl kicks you on the leg or someone knocks the cards out of your hand makes you a complete wuss. And, if as Padfoot said, you've done it purely because you want to enhance the default punishment your CFA dishes out - then you're a fraud. That's a different perspective I know, but potentially just as valid.

Abandon a match for a bona fide reason, not just because you can on a technicality. :cool:

If a Premier League referee was to get struck, pushed or whatever... Would they abandon that game?

Good call. ;)
How about an U12's match where a kid throws a tantrum and swings a 4 foot high haymaker at the ref's midriff? The ref's been assaulted!! :eek:
Red card and match abandoned eh? :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DB
People agreeing with padfoot and his generic black-and-white-holier-than-thou- arguing? Refereeing truly is in trouble. :rolleyes:

There are a few on here who keep running back to "a little girl who kicked a big hard referee" when the discussion has moved on. The same people who haven't experienced an assault. Cool, have your fun. Let's hope you don't end up on the receiving end eh?

Probably the same idiots who don't report such incidents as assault, just let it go. Well she had her red card... Hmmmm the guys who create problems for colleagues through their weakness.

Let's get some perspective and let's go back to the little girl kicking a referee scenario. The big hard grown men on here saying "never abandon". That's fine but let's flip it - It is a 16 year old female referee kicked, what do they do then?

Come back with some black and white argument lads. No need to break from form.

(Edited due to the original being a little harsh!)

Last edited:
People agreeing with padfoot and his generic black-and-white-holier-than-thou- arguing-because-he-has-nothing-else-in-life-to-do? Refereeing truly is in trouble. :rolleyes:

There are a few on here who keep running back to "a little girl who kicked a big hard referee" when the discussion has moved on. The same people who haven't experienced an assault. Cool, have your fun. Let's hope you don't end up on the receiving end eh?

Probably the same idiots who don't report such incidents as assault, just let it go. Well she had her red card... Hmmmm the guys who create problems for colleagues through their weakness.

Let's get some perspective and let's go back to the little girl kicking a referee scenario. The big hard grown men on here saying "never abandon". That's fine but let's flip it - It is a 16 year old female referee kicked, what do they do then?

Come back with some black and white argument lads. No need to break from form.

That's the trouble though @SM. The "anything which can be labelled as assault (no matter how trivial) should end in match abandonment" mantra is far too black and white.
As has already been said, each ref has his own opinion on what he thinks should or shouldn't render him incapable of continuing. That's not the issue. The salient point here has been made by Padfoot several times and I agree with him totally (well, somebody has to :D ). That being that to simply abandon a match on a "technicality" with the only real reason being a desire to enhance the (normally meagre anyway) punishment dished out to the player by his/her CFA is farcical (IMO) and is not morally or literally a reason to curtail a match. Nothing to do with being big hard grown men or any other such banter-induced perspective.
Again, abandon a match because you feel unable to referee it further (for whatever reason that might be) not because somebody told you it's a default action or the player involved might get lucky at his hearing. :cool: :)

Next we'll be abandoning matches when people emotionally abuse us :oops:

He called me fat.. That hurts my feelings... Game off!!! Toughen up man!

I'd only abandon a game if I felt like I had no other choice. I wouldn't give an idiot the satisfaction of abandoning a game based on their behaviour! Why should everyone suffer because of one or two individuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back