A&H

A U18 girls' player kicked me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaps as @SM said you're trying to group all these incidents into one category either all abandon or all not abandon.

The game doesn't work like that.

There are too many incidents in football that need to be assessed, calculated and decisions made in a split second by the referee to be black or white, and even from similar incidents there are still too many variables to each individual situation to treat them all the same.

Let's face it if all of football was so black and white we wouldn't need a referee, just a guy on the sideline with a copy of the laws of the game that the teams could refer to if they were unsure.

Thankfully that's not the case. Referee makes his decision based on the individual match, circumstances and about 20 other conditions of that game at that time and sticks to it.

Nobody can criticise an official for making a call either way in this situation, given they've considered all the individual circumstances of the game and incident in its entirety.

The Referee Store
Where did our sense of perspective go?

I will be the first to abandon if I feel my safety is at risk, or I feel unable to continue mentally or physically.....and I encourage every single referee to do the same......however.....if my safety is not at risk, and I am ok to continue....why should 21 other players be disadvantaged because of the actions of 1 idiot?

By not abandoning, I am not letting anyone down, I am not enabling the assaulter to continue their behaviour....they will be dealt with, reports will be submitted....if the CFA then fails to deal with it appropriately they will be the ones letting people down and enabling the behaviour to continue........

^^^^ This ^^^
All day long. :)

Spot on to send her off ! As long as you can be sure on the decision and obviously the managers reaction backed up what you thought ! But seriously ? Abandon games? Why ? See out the game , if need be give yourself a minute to write a few notes in the book so your clear on what's going on your report ! Remain calm , and communicate with everyone ! I've seen games abandoned late on and it's frustrating ! Safety is number one , is a young lady , be it emotional and upset that kicked out worth calling the game off for ! ?

Remember one important thing with those not wishing to abandon -

Do not complain about not being supported when the cfa deal with the offence very lightly. :)

Had a slightly different incident near me where a referee was assaulted after a player was sent off. Player eventually left, Ref continued the game and believed the played would be hammered by the cfa. The player wasn't, the punishment was far less as the referee had continued the game. Ref in question feels very let down.

Morally I couldnt justify abandoning a game just so the player gets an appropriate punishment. What would the extraordinary report consist of " I abandoned the game due the incident mentioned in my dismissal report "

Reactions: Kes
I'm fortunate enough to have never been assaulted. But I personally agree with the notion of abandoning for it. Because I am 31 years of age and fairly happy that I know my limits. But lets not pressure newer and younger refs to carry on should they feel they are fine. The peer pressure to carry on I think is unfair. What about those who maybe in too much shock to realise that they are unfit to carry on? Who are we to judge what is enough of an assault to warrant calling things off? People will be effected differently and by giving a grey area of making that judgement calls could lead to problems. I'd feel much happier if any assault resulted in ending the game, as I think that also reflects how much of a serious matter it is.

That said if someone knocked the cards out my hand I'm not walking off. If someone done anything slightly aggressive towards me physically I probably would. I dont get up on a Sunday morning for that.

Remember one important thing with those not wishing to abandon -

Do not complain about not being supported when the cfa deal with the offence very lightly. :)

Had a slightly different incident near me where a referee was assaulted after a player was sent off. Player eventually left, Ref continued the game and believed the played would be hammered by the cfa. The player wasn't, the punishment was far less as the referee had continued the game. Ref in question feels very let down.

So we're back to the argument about abandoning as a tool to try and influence the punishment given to the offender as opposed to a genuine abandonment where the referee is physically or mentally incapable of continuing?

Unless you are physically or mentally incapable of continuing, or there is serious risk of further major disorder.....abandoning to try and influence the punishment dishes out is an abuse of our position.

Unless you are physically or mentally incapable of continuing, or there is serious risk of further major disorder.....abandoning to try and influence the punishment dishes out is an abuse of our position.

In one. :)

I do love how you boil every situation to black - White. It's a simple world to live in.

Now then, for fun - Let's test out your theory. You are punched squarely in the face knocking you over. Offender leaves the fop. However, once you get your barings you feel fine to carry on both physically and mentally. Are you carrying on?

I do love how you boil every situation to black - White. It's a simple world to live in.

Now then, for fun - Let's test out your theory. You are punched squarely in the face knocking you over. Offender leaves the fop. However, once you get your barings you feel fine to carry on both physically and mentally. Are you carrying on?

Not a realistic scenario.....how many people would feel physically or mentally capable of continuing?

I've seen games abandoned late on and it's frustrating ! Safety is number one , is a young lady , be it emotional and upset that kicked out worth calling the game off for ! ?

Ah yes, the old "emotional" ca
So we're back to the argument about abandoning as a tool to try and influence the punishment given to the offender as opposed to a genuine abandonment where the referee is physically or mentally incapable of continuing?

So what?
Until county looks after us properly I'll look after my self and my colleagues!
I owe referee assaulters absolutely f*ck all!

Reactions: SM
Ah yes, the old "emotional" ca

So what?
Until county looks after us properly I'll look after my self and my colleagues!
I owe referee assaulters absolutely f*ck all!

What do you owe the other 21 players?

So you'll quite happily act corruptly just to make yourself feel better?

What do you owe the other 21 players?

So you'll quite happily act corruptly just to make yourself feel better?

Corruptly would be lying on the report. I will report what happened and that I abandoned. How is that even remotely corrupt?
Where did I sign a contract agreeing to continue unless I was unable to? I didn't.
Want to lay your hands on me? Fine. I'll be going home now. For a £25 match fee you can stick it.

Ok, maybe 'corruptly' was bit strong......

But it's still wrong to attempt to influence the punishment of the offender by deliberately abandoning a game you could've completed in the hope that it will get them some extra games off.

What about the other 21 players who haven't done anything wrong?

Reactions: Kes
What you're saying if you abandon is "this behaviour is beyond unacceptable, I will not accept it, Game over". What happens next is not really your concern, but I can appreciate that a referee would want an assault upon them taken seriously. This bit I think we all agree on.

Any ref who continues with a game after an assault for what ever reason is saying this behaviour is accepted as part of the gig of refereeing. However, like I said before, here are the grey areas as to what is considered an assault or what constitutes an assault that is considered significant. Here opinions differ.

I can actually see both sides to this argument, in as much as "violent conduct" (on a referee) is probably the single worst thing that can happen during a match thats covered in the LOTG. As with all things, it's the ref's call on whether or not he feels (for whatever reason) that the occurrence now prevents the match from being continued.
I still agree with Padfoot though that abandoning a match because of indignant principle is petty and unecessary. You might even call it "unsporting behaviour" on the part of the referee. ;)

For me, the possible justification for abandoning despite you personally feeling ok to continue after an 'assault' is NOT to ensure a stricter punishment for that one player but to protect other (potentially less 'strong minded') referees from facing the same behaviour. Difficult, because on the one hand you have a responsibility to the other 21 players who are there to play a game but on the other you have a clear opportunity to demonstrate to all present that this type of behaviour is utterly unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Each case on its own merits for me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back