A&H

The Keeping The Laws Of The Game Fresh In Our Minds Summer Competition! Week 1!

In no particular order, this weeks chosen answers are:

7 - Hattersfan
I would deal with this situation in the following way:

In my opinion this scenario is simple offinabus. However the first comment I would make is that no matter how hard these players were to deal with in a previous game, you can't prejudge them and give them a hard time because of it. This is a completely new game, for all you know they may have learnt their lesson.
Moving on to the main incident, I would award the goal as I have seen nothing that could prompt me to disallow it. I would then walk away and record the goal in my match pad. However, I would make sure that I had my match pad up and could see all the players in case the goal had any negative repercussions, which in this case it did. As for the player running toward me, I would make an initial attempt to calm him down before trying to deal with him. I would keep both my body language and voice calm and relaxed as being confrontational would lead to the player getting angrier and a shouting match would ensue. Hopefully my aurora of calmness will radiate back to the player. When he has finished his outburst and calmed down, I will show him a red card before explaining that he has used offinabus towards me and taking his name. I will be mindful of any reactions that players of either team could have to the red card.
After the player has left the field, I will look to tighten up my match control. I will blow up for smaller fouls for the next 5-10 minutes in an attempt to rein the game in. I will explain to players who have further problems that it is only a friendly and nothing is really at stake. I will see how this approach goes with a view to possibly changing my match control style as the game calms down and develops.

9 - Xman
Here is my answer for the week 1 thread:

Observations around the situation

Firstly, it should be considered that this is not only just a friendly game but also a novelty match between over 35 players, which is a group of players where concessions may be made for in LotG as per page 3 of the book. This game is also a non-competitive, non-incentivised match and therefore your job should be to ensure that the match is played in a sporting and enjoyable manner in a recreational environment for those involved. It can also be noted that due to the nature of the match you are under no obligation to play the legislated 90 minutes as there may be agreement reached on behalf of both teams to stop the game early for any reason which may include but not be limited to: the scoreline, player injuries, player fatigue, adverse weather etc.

What to look for

As you have neutral assistants for this game, as soon as the ball has entered the goal and you are happy for the goal to be allowed you should check the assistant's signal. If he runs towards the half way line then he is happy to award a goal, however, in the incident shown by the image, there may be suitable scope for the assistant to give judge that the attacker had in fact fouled the defender as the incident occurred near to the assistant's diagonal which gives him/her a credible viewpoint on the incident.

Action to take & laws supporting

The main priority of the incident is the player who has spoken to you. Regardless of whether or not the goal is being awarded in this situation, his words go further than the decision itself and are of a deeply personal and offensively insulting nature and satisfy the requirements of Offensive Insulting Abusive language as per law 12. Without question this player should be sent off and ordered to leave the field of play and immediate surrounds.

Attention then turns to the assistant, under law 6, he may have seen a foul which was out of your view and therefore signal for a free kick to e defending team. He may also hold the same opinion as you as run towards the half way line to signal a goal.

Restart

Depending on the assistant: direct free kick to defending team if he has signalled for a foul out with your view OR award a goal and restart with kick-off to the yellow team after the player sent off has left the field of play and immediate surrounds.

Approach for the rest of the game

Care should be taken to ensure that the recreational atmosphere of the match is maintained. For this reason you should ensure that you use the various concessions in the LotG to your advantage to calm the situation down (e.g water breaks, rolling substitutions for players who are becoming frustrated etc) The worst thing to let happen is to allow the game to continue in a way where frustration takes over for the losing team and they begin to endanger the safety of the opposing players or endangering or threatening your safety and authority in the match. For this reason, under law 5 p.24, the referee may abandon the match due to infringements of the laws of the game, if the protection of the players or referee is in danger.

Ultimately the sporting and recreational nature of the match played should always be observed, and any threats to this following the incident should drive the consideration that the match may be abandoned. In the event that infringements of a serious nature cause the match to be abandoned, this should be reported to the body responsible for organising the match for future consideration.

11 - Hullref
I like to be as pro active as I can when refereeing and so I think that the following solution is best for me personally
1.) When I get to the match I would brief my NAR's, including the fact that I had trouble with some of the players before, telling them to keep an extra eye out for any trouble that might arise, also putting extra emphasis on what I want each official to do in the event of a mass brawl or confrontation

2.) I would have a word with the captains of both teams ( but mainly with the one that I had trouble with before and explain that I won't put up with anything like that again, it is a friendly and so shouldn't be a hyper active game. I would also ask for their help in controlling their players before they do anything stupid. What happened in the past is in the past and the game now is all I am bothered about).

3.) I would then be very pro active throughout the game making sure that any sort of dissent is swiftly dealt with, using the captains if necessary or going for cards, depending on the frequency and the severity of the dissent. I would make sure to pick out any from the red team as well, showing that I am consistent and therefore giving credibility to my decisions.

4.) For the incident in question I would try to get the player to shut up quickly (ie. sharp blow of whistle) if he continues, I would go straight for red for OFFINABUS. It is a prime example of OFFINABUS and is something I don't tolerate on the FOP. It wasn't dissent IMO because he carried on with his argument and made reference to the previous game. I don't like giving cards out anyway especially in friendlies but for something this severe I would have to.

5.) I would also send the relevant reports into the CFA and help them with their disciplinary enquiry. It is something that needs to be dealt with and his punishment for the previous incident obviously wasn't good enough. Players need to know that they can't say what they like just because it's friendly, and my relationship with the player/s couldn't get any worse for with this team so I have nothing to lose IMO by putting the reports in.

Well, looking at it, it's an obvious numeric order! lol Thats not to say that is the winning order! That remains secret for now. Congrats guys

The Referee Store
I am not a judge in this, only the facilitator (for want of a better title). Master of questions? Lol think I have been watching too much game of thrones.

Secret for now, keep you guessing!

Plenty more weeks to go guys (well, 11) so keep your peepers a' peepin tomorrow for the next question.

@haywain
These are the pre-match instructions I prepared for a colleague who had never worked with NARs before having to work with them on a Final
1. Pre-match – third team, work together, warm-up

a. Third team – you’ve reached the final just like the players, based on your ability and have earned your appointments so well done

b. Work together – both teams will want to win and the only friends out on the field are your colleagues so look after each other

c. Warm-up – it’s an easy trick to impress those who watch all their football on the tv. To the experienced eye, it shows you are taking this game as seriously as the players

d. Appoint a senior assistant who will replace you if you can’t continue for any reason

e. Your senior writes down everything you write down while your junior keeps an eye on all the players while you and the senior assistant are writing

f. The junior assistant should record times of all the goals, while you and your senior assistant watch the players​

2. Admin - team-sheet, jewellery and boot check

a. Team sheets – ask for them about 30 minutes before kick off but if they aren’t provided then you want the name of all the players, especially if it is roll on-roll off subs. Write them all in your notebook so that it makes your cautioning easier

b. Jewellery – no player wears a single item. This is a time to establish your authority

c. Boot check – a time to mix with the players, maybe make a joke or two to relax them and you

3. Entrance – together, check nets, witness toss, into position

a. Enter the field by leading the teams out like they do for Champions League games. Tell the managers 30 minutes before kick off that is how they will enter the field. Do the Respect handshake with the home team shaking your hands, your assistants and the away team. The away team then shake your hands and your assistants

b. Check nets – assistants break and check that nets are pegged down. They are responsible for letting you know if there is a problem but they should also resolve any issues with their net

c. Witness toss – winner of toss chooses direction to play, loser kicks off

d. Position – shake hands with your assistants and they move to their patrol path. They should run right wings, that means covering from the halfway line to the corner flag, alongside the left backs​

4. Offside – see, acknowledge, miss

a. If you think there’s been an offside offence, just have a glance to your assistant

b. This is really important just after every goal, check your assistant isn’t signalling that an infringement has occurred

c. Explain offside using PIG, player in an offside position when the ball is last touched/played by a team mate but ask them to “wait and see” if two players are going for the ball at the same time, one offside one not and the one offside​

i. Plays the ball

ii. Interferes with an opponent by distracting them or preventing them from playing the ball

iii. Gains an advantage by getting the ball from a rebound off the goalkeeper or goal frame​

d. You will see the assistant’s signal, stop play, they indicate far, middle or near, ball down, indirect free kick signal (arm straight up and stays up until someone else plays the ball after the free kick or it goes out of play), restart the game with a blast on your whistle

e. You will miss them, they need to maintain their signal until you see them, then it’s as per d above

f. You will see them but the ball is going to the goalkeeper with no one else near, then just play advantage to the goalkeeper. If an attacker is near, then stop play as per d above​

5. Throw-ins – thirds, leading, eye contact

a. Divide the touchline into thirds

b. In their third, they signal and unless they are really obviously wrong, you go with them

c. In your third, they go with your direction every time

d. In the middle third, you indicate which direction and use eye contact to lead them or point the direction at waist level. Take your time and both go the same way
6. Corners – ball in arc, behind flag both sides unless called

a. Assistant to check the ball is in the arc and stand behind the corner flag when the kick is on their side

b. Assistant to stand behind the corner flag when the kick is on the opposite side from them

c. They are to watch for the ball crossing the goal line for a goal, goal kick or corner kick​

7. Goal kicks – check 1st kick in each half

a. Check the 1st kick in each half from in line with the goal area

b. Check other kicks from in line with the penalty area​

8. Fouls & Misconduct – tempo management, credibility, advantage, cards

a. Tempo management – assistants need to gauge your tolerance level for fouls and help you out

b. Credibility – they really should only give signals for free kicks which occur within 15m or so from their position

c. Advantage – if they indicate a free kick should be given, but you play advantage, they need to keep moving

d. Cards – if they want you to issue a card, they need to tell you who did what and what they think should happen

e. At free kicks, if it’s near their position ask them to watch the ball to make sure it isn’t moved while you walk out the 9.15m​

9. Penalties – yes, no or help; goal line judge, infringements

a. Yes – you give the penalty and they shouldn’t attempt to over rule you
b. No – you cut the grass and they shouldn’t come in with a signal unless someone has punched someone else behind your back
c. Help – you know something happened. If they think it’s a penalty, they should give the signal of flag horizontal across their chest, level with the top of their shirt pocket
d. Goal line judge – they move to a place on the goal line halfway between where the goal line touches the lines marking the outer edge of the goal areas and penalty areas
e. They need to see if the ball crosses the goal line for a goal and/or the goal keeper moves more than 1m off his line before the ball is kicked. If he does, they should stand still and let you know you need a re-take, if it was saved​

10. Mass confrontations – observe, runners, come together

a. If one happens, you and they should observe who is doing what – form a triangle around the incident​

b. The one nearest the technical areas should ensure no one runs on from there

c. When it all calms down you come together

d. You work out your dismissals first and then your cautions

e. Send away team players off first and home team players off second

f. Allow a delay between sending them so they don’t start fighting again

g. If you feel you will not be able to regain control, especially if spectators have entered the field, then consider abandoning the game​

11. Benches – manage, if not possible, bring me over

a. Technical areas – put your most senior person next to them

b. They should attempt to manage any misconduct by the managers/coaches/subs

c. If they can’t, then they should call you over

d. You issue one warning and any further infringements, bin them!​

12. Substitutions – one off, one on; named, jewellery and boot check

a. Control them by only allowing the sub to enter the field when the player he is replacing has left the field

b. Your assistant needs to check they were named before kick off

c. Re-do the jewellery and boot check for the sub joining the game, even if they have been on before​

13. Time down

a. Near the end of each half, tell your senior assistant how much added time you will be playing so he can tell the managers

b. This is the minimum you will play​

14. Exit – half time, come together, no discussion

a. Half time – assistants should run to your position so they can act as witness if anyone says anything to you

b. Don’t enter into any discussion on the field, just offer to talk to the person 15 minutes after the game has finished​

15. Second half – substitutions, check nets

a. Second half – check there’s no substitutions being made

b. Assistants to check nets again as per 3d above​

16. Same sides unless there’s a problem

a. Assistants to stay on same side so they will have a new defence to look after

b. Only change this if one assistant is getting a lot of grief from people around him​

17. Exit – full time, come together, no discussion

a. Full time – assistants should run to your position so they can act as witness if anyone says anything to you

b. Don’t enter into any discussion on the field, just offer to talk to the person 15 minutes after the game has finished​

18. Presentation

a. Officials usually presented with mementos of the game

b. You lead your team up

c. Then stand away form the presentation area but applaud both teams not matter how well they behaved​

19. Feedback – private and open

a. After the game ask your assistants if there were any mistakes and listen carefully so you understand why the other official feels differently about one of your decisions

b. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or challenge their statement so you understand better

c. This discussion takes place in private​

Just run where you would normally run but try to keep play between you and one of your assistants at all times. That is just about everything you and they need to know about working with neutral assistants … I think ;o)

Good luck!!!

Reactions: SM
@haywain

Regarding using the captain to help you manage players ... at the start of the game you tell the captains that you may need their help to save having to discipline their players. This means when you ask them to assist you, they help; if they don't help, then you won't ask for them again and you'll just wave cards around. Despite all this, you reserve the right to go straight to your pocket and issue a card.

When you ask the captain to assist you, address him directly. You use his name and you use the player's name. The conversation will go something like this... Look Jim, I've brought you in because Phil here seems to think it's ok to start shouting all over the field. You and I both know that I can't have him doing that. I need you to help me with him. Is that ok?

If the player interrupts, you tell him firmly but with confidence that he has had his opportunity and that you're only going to talk through his captain. Explain to the captain that if he can settle the player down, then that's good. If he can't settle him down, then you will be left with no choice but to issue a caution at the least. You then give the captain a few seconds to get the message across to the player, wait while they both have gotten back into position and then restart the game.

The tone of voice you use during these exchanges is confident but neutral, i.e. no emotion and try to control your nerves. Also make good eye contact with the captain.

Hope this helps.

Is week 2 up yet? I'm convinced there is something wrong with my computer so apologies if I appear a bit keen.

lol - keen as mustard mate!

Just about to post it now. Had to go buy a new washing machine first thing. Joys of life eh? Give me 10 and it will be up

Back