A&H

The Keeping The Laws Of The Game Fresh In Our Minds Summer Competition! Week 1!

The Referee Store
while i completely appreciate your approach @Brian Hamilton I certainly didn't submit my entry in accordance with the criteria of level 4!

am i wrong to think that applying the law in a stringent fashion in this situation (one sided, vets post-season friendly) would be inappropriate?

Turns out I'm too late. Here's what I would have entered had I been more on the ball:

First, I've already confirmed with my AR that there was no foul (because 1) he didn't signal for a foul and 2) he has signaled accordingly for a goal). In this case I'll have signaled for a goal by pointing back towards centre and begin to quickly make my way back to my restart position. If the yellow player in question decides to follow me back to my restart position (it won't take more than a few steps to figure this out), he will be booked for Dissent by Word or Action. If he decides to stand in his place, have a short emotional outburst and then move on, no further action is necessary. A quick thumbs up to my AR who was just recently active to make sure that he is ready to carry on (and that nothing has been noted after the goal that would require my attention) and I will get the game rolling. To me, the critical question is getting the game restarted quickly -- the yellow player will then have very little choice but to focus on what's immediately going on (active play) instead of what just happened so that's my goal here.

What could happen next? The yellow player in question could be overly-aggressive in tackles as a result of frustration. If that is the case, I will be careful to take a firm approach in deciding fouls (so as to protect the other players and make sure to be clear to him that he is not going to get to have a little strop for free) and, in the case that it is a careless challenge in question, I will speak to the player to inform him that it's not going to be acceptable to behave in this way and quickly get out of earshot so as not to invite a conversation with him. If it is reckless, I shall take the necessary course of action and, equally, if it is done with excessive force the player shall be sent off.

while i completely appreciate your approach @Brian Hamilton I certainly didn't submit my entry in accordance with the criteria of level 4!

am i wrong to think that applying the law in a stringent fashion in this situation (one sided, vets post-season friendly) would be inappropriate?
Rich, I explained my rationale, I didn't say it was right. I'm not going to tell you whether you are wrong, but I may tell you some things which will help you become a better referee

Reactions: SM
The judging continues apace... But the banter has died down on here though....

I have finished week 2s question. It's coming on Monday...

Forgive me if I missed how the points are scored - but - can it be like F1 - where the top 15 all get points each race !?!?

I think we should also give "minus points" ;)

I wish for a podium finish - but - understand I must obey team orders and sometimes let 'lesser' competitors pass me ...
I meant you could be the first one to "earn" negative points ... I still don't know who said what, but I have sent my thoughts on the incident to Supermonkey

Rich, I explained my rationale, I didn't say it was right. I'm not going to tell you whether you are wrong, but I may tell you some things which will help you become a better referee

my post wasn't meant to be argumentative, and my continued presence on this forum epitomises my interest in learning how to become a better referee :)

I learn something from EVERY game (middle or line) ... EVERY Ref Society session ... EVERY forum discussion - whether it's a correction in law or a new method of handling a situation or a new part of Law 18 or even a positive reinforcement from a colleague that what I'm already doing is correct

Onwards and upwards - to infinity and beyond !!

I learn something from EVERY game (middle or line) ... EVERY Ref Society session ... EVERY forum discussion - whether it's a correction in law or a new method of handling a situation or a new part of Law 18 or even a positive reinforcement from a colleague that what I'm already doing is correct

Onwards and upwards - to infinity and beyond !!

tho', given the nature of the beast, one has to be wary of learning the wrong things from time to time, too

It's coming. Judges are a judgin'. Or should that be judges be judgin'?

It's all in hand anyway.

Back