A&H

Match Control - AA

Can you explain the OFFINABUS criteria, as you put it, as written in the LOTG?

My point was that what he did was not, in my opinion, offensive, insulting or abusive (self-abusive, perhaps, if one were being obtuse). The first of those is probably the most tricky to ascertain, but it's not like we have the time to stop the game and determine by a vote who deemed the swearing offensive. Perhaps I wrongly assume football people aren't sheltered! In all seriousness, though, I take by implication that you think some words are serious enough to warrant sanction irrespective of context and that the watching public must be taken into account as well.

The Referee Store
My point was that what he did was not, in my opinion, offensive, insulting or abusive (self-abusive, perhaps, if one were being obtuse). The first of those is probably the most tricky to ascertain, but it's not like we have the time to stop the game and determine by a vote who deemed the swearing offensive. Perhaps I wrongly assume football people aren't sheltered! In all seriousness, though, I take by implication that you think some words are serious enough to warrant sanction irrespective of context and that the watching public must be taken into account as well.

Yes, there are certain words or phrases that are instant dismissals.....

That's the easy bit out of the way....now for murkier waters. ...there is no requirement in the LOTG for you, or anyone else, to actually be offended, insulted or abused for the offence to be complete....although it certainly helps. The words or gestures used merely have to be designed to offend, insult or abuse....whether they achieve that objective or not is irrelevant.

I'll leave that there for the time being....

Yes, there are certain words or phrases that are instant dismissals.....

That's the easy bit out of the way....now for murkier waters. ...there is no requirement in the LOTG for you, or anyone else, to actually be offended, insulted or abused for the offence to be complete....although it certainly helps. The words or gestures used merely have to be designed to offend, insult or abuse....whether they achieve that objective or not is irrelevant.

I'll leave that there for the time being....

Thanks, that's a nice clarification. I understand we read too much into the laws sometimes. Nevertheless, your point about a statement needing to be 'designed to offend' was already built into my description. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about which words deserve instant dismissal, though I have an idea. Safe to say nothing this particular player did fell under that law, but I will have a word next time. Just having those words on the tip of the tongue makes you more susceptible to red card territory when conflict arises.

Back