A&H

Match Control - AA

@CapnBloodbeard unfortunaterly it has not been faced and I have still sent players off for offinabus and I still caution for dissent but it can be managed depending on what a player has said to me for example cheat a c u next Tuesday and a player saying I'm fing **** so everyone will hear it will go

The Referee Store
Come on padfoot, it's not church league, and 'foul language' was removed as a red card offence a long time ago!
What ! regardless........ somebody says the c word on my pitch he is walking, if somebody lets out lots of naughty words he is walking.....

What ! regardless........ somebody says the c word on my pitch he is walking, if somebody lets out lots of naughty words he is walking.....
And if you find that offensive, that's entirely your judgement. But I don't really understand situations where referee A tells referee B what he should/shouldn't find offensive. In the absence of a published list of offensive words, the judgement has to come down to the referee on the day, and he's entitled to apply his own tolerances and take as much/as little notice of context as he likes.

And if you find that offensive, that's entirely your judgement. But I don't really understand situations where referee A tells referee B what he should/shouldn't find offensive. In the absence of a published list of offensive words, the judgement has to come down to the referee on the day, and he's entitled to apply his own tolerances and take as much/as little notice of context as he likes.

But so many referees hide behind "tolerance level" as an excuse for bottling the dismissal.......

Padfoot, earlier in this thread you said that any swear word is a red card (when you said if you would asterisk it on here, it's a red). That's just completely untrue. This time it's you not following the LOTG, not your colleagues.

Reactions: DB
Padfoot, earlier in this thread you said that any swear word is a red card (when you said if you would asterisk it on here, it's a red). That's just completely untrue. This time it's you not following the LOTG, not your colleagues.

Nice try....but wrong.

Why does the forum auto censor, or the poster, star certain words out?

I'll suggest it is because those words would be considered offensive, therefore as the LOTG deals with Offensive, Insulting and/or Abusive language or gestures, then the statement that a word offensive enough to be starred on here is offensive enough for a dismissal is entirely accurate.

Unless of course you are one of those referees who believes that sort of language is perfectly acceptable because 'its part of the game' and is happy to continue to allow the deterioration of respect shown to colleagues and other participants.

But this is kind of my point - if Padfoot finds any swear word genuinely offensive, he's entitled to show red for it. If you don't find that offensive, you're entitled to only show yellow/give a warning as appropriate. And while you can both say what you would do in any specific situation (and they may well be different responses), neither of you is entitled to tell the other what the "correct" response is, because the LOTG doesn't specify which words it considers offensive and which it doesn't.

I'll suggest it is because those words would be considered offensive, therefore as the LOTG deals with Offensive, Insulting and/or Abusive language or gestures.
Oh god...you're SERIOUSLY trying to say that any foul language is a red card?

You of all people? Really??? :wall::wall:

Please support your claim with a reference from FIFA/IFAB. Anything at all.

As for your comment above - I work in a customer service role in a business. There are things I can't say to customers - I certainly couldn't swear to them. Even though in my industry most of my customers probably swear more than me. But I can swear when talking to colleagues or my boss - although while tolerance shifts, there are still things I wouldn't be able to say to them.

Context. Players not in a customer service role minding out p's and q's.

The simple fact that IFAB made a deliberate language to remove the wording 'foul langauge' as a red card should itself be sufficient to tell you that IFAB no longer want foul language to be an automatic red card.

Although I have absolute certainty that you don't even buy what you're selling here and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it. After all, if you sent off every single player who said sh*t or f**k in any context on the field you'd have a lot of very, very short games.

But this is kind of my point - if Padfoot finds any swear word genuinely offensive, he's entitled to show red for it. If you don't find that offensive, you're entitled to only show yellow/give a warning as appropriate. And while you can both say what you would do in any specific situation (and they may well be different responses), neither of you is entitled to tell the other what the "correct" response is, because the LOTG doesn't specify which words it considers offensive and which it doesn't.

I think the expectation is for the referee to consider what's roughly acceptable in the environment moreso than his own preferences. For instance, a particularly religious referee may be offended by player for saying 'Jesus!' on the field. And while technically permissible in the Laws, I would argue that the intent of the law isn't for him to ignore general accepted behaviour and force his own views.

But beyond that extreme example, yes, there is massive leeway. Context and volume matter. Level/age of match and the local environment as well.

There is no evidentiary basis on which to make that assertion. We have no clue what word was starred out, so no way of judging whether it would have been sufficiently offensive to deserve a dismissal.

Rubbish.

Its starred for a reason.......

Oh god...you're SERIOUSLY trying to say that any foul language is a red card?

You of all people? Really??? :wall::wall:

Please support your claim with a reference from FIFA/IFAB. Anything at all.

As for your comment above - I work in a customer service role in a business. There are things I can't say to customers - I certainly couldn't swear to them. Even though in my industry most of my customers probably swear more than me. But I can swear when talking to colleagues or my boss - although while tolerance shifts, there are still things I wouldn't be able to say to them.

Context. Players not in a customer service role minding out p's and q's.

The simple fact that IFAB made a deliberate language to remove the wording 'foul langauge' as a red card should itself be sufficient to tell you that IFAB no longer want foul language to be an automatic red card.

Although I have absolute certainty that you don't even buy what you're selling here and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it. After all, if you sent off every single player who said sh*t or f**k in any context on the field you'd have a lot of very, very short games.

I think the expectation is for the referee to consider what's roughly acceptable in the environment moreso than his own preferences. For instance, a particularly religious referee may be offended by player for saying 'Jesus!' on the field. And while technically permissible in the Laws, I would argue that the intent of the law isn't for him to ignore general accepted behaviour and force his own views.

But beyond that extreme example, yes, there is massive leeway. Context and volume matter. Level/age of match and the local environment as well.

Show me a reference from FIFA/IFAB that defines what is and what isn't offensive?

Show me a reference from FIFA/IFAB that defines what is and what isn't offensive?
Erm, that's what I told YOU to do given that you're making a claim on an interpretation that is unsupported.

Rubbish.

Its starred for a reason.......
Yes. That reason is HERE the decision has been made to block all foul language. IFAB/FIFA have not made the decision to incorporate such an approach in the laws. In fact, they removed that from the laws.

So, when a player, after missing a shot, mutters to himself 'that was s**t', you punt them?

Reactions: DB
I think it's a perfectly acceptable debate personally

I do it for a reason if it gets repetitive if it gets to this stage I think no more needs to be said

All of you are forgetting the context in which swear words are used. 'f#=king hell ref' is one thing, 'f#=k off ref' is another, that should always (imo) result in a cherry.
Volume, tone of voice and aggression also play a part in the decision to card and if so the colour.

Back